Sponsored by:

Can you DIY camber settings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:04 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can you DIY camber settings?

Just curious, do you track guys adjust the camber settings yourself? Is it just a matter of adjusting that eccentric bolt, or cam bolt, with the degree markings on it? Or does it require lots of knowhow and alignment equipment?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:22 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd get a hold of(purchase or borrow) Smart Racing's camber gauge and string set and do the set-up your looking for...then I'd take it to the dealer and pay for an alignment check which is usually very inexpensive(0-$100).
If it turns out they verify your settings then your good to go and you can save alot of money down the road with DIY alignments.
The two items I mentioned are widely used by race teams at the track to adjust suspension settings.
Tom B.

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
Just curious, do you track guys adjust the camber settings yourself? Is it just a matter of adjusting that eccentric bolt, or cam bolt, with the degree markings on it? Or does it require lots of knowhow and alignment equipment?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

The theory is pretty basic and "How to Make Your Car Handle" is a great reference book.

The practice is another matter. First and foremost it is car dependent. So folks can give you much more detailed perspective if you describe your wheels.

Second, you will need to make or buy some tools. I have known Craig for a long time and I use the Smartcamber tool that he developed. I do not use the Smartstrings. Don't get me wrong, it is a great tool-- I got to witness the development. I decided to make my own similar system that is specific to my car.

I have aligned 944 and 911 family trailing arm cars. Processes are similar. I have not aligned multi-link cars. Fun and rewarding, and not rocket science.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Timmy Lynn does his whole alignment with a string, block of wood, and 12" bubble level.... may be a flashlight involved too.

Quick Reply: Can you DIY camber settings?