Sponsored by:

NARRA Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NARRA Road Atlanta

A few sessions from RA Last weekend: My best time was 1:45.6 Still not up there with some of you guys.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

You can make up plenty of time in a few spots on the track. At first I was wondering to myself why you were lugging along in certain spots, then I figured out you had a Tip car LOL. It sounds like you are leaving it in auto mode instead of using the tip function? Have you tried that? It should leave you in you in the high RPMs instead of shifting up when you come off the throttle.

RA is a fun track. Nice videos!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

+1 nice videos! And +1 to using the buttons to shift manually--you will really notice the difference, for the better!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. Used Harry's Laptimer Pro. Works pretty good for an iPhone app. I could mix Custom data with GoPro but this combines both video from phone and telemetry automatically.

Yes, I left the Tippy on auto this time. Last time I did manual - I wanted to see how different it was on its own and how it adapted. Not bad, but not great. No where as good as a manual or even PDK. One thing I hate about the Tippy is the slow gear changes even on auto-manual, it also upshifts if it thinks you forgot - so it will stay away from redline. :-( I need an ECU update big time.

This was first time back on RA since I got the Moton's - and 6 months since my last event and my first time Solo!

Regarding the driving...the car did great, I know there is so much more there but that grey stuff between my ears starts to get a little scared (this is my Daily Driver too) and I chicken out a bit.

Here is my own critique:

Turn 1 - I am burning a little too much speed before I go in...I think I could leave more speed around the turn. But finding the limit here can be expensive. I am finally full throttling up the hill though. :-)

Turn 4 - A little cautious here since the car wants to come out on the big left hander, I have been more of maintenance throttle here. Leading to the downhill on the first right hander on the Esses I tend to slow down here for no GOOD reason before heading back up the hill.

Turn 5 - still playing with a line here...I love this turn though.

Turn 6 - Improved my line here compared to Saturday - but I think I still have a little more speed in that corner.

Turn 7 - loosing a lot here...but I am not sure why...I am on a car's butt and then it pulls away...I typically late apex here with a hard right turn and get on it quick...maybe PSM is slowing me down here off the turn?

Back straight...I tend to hit 135+ and stay there for Turn 9, goose it coming down the hill right before breaking hard at between 100 & 150 marker. The car has more speed...but starts to feels floaty without any good downforce.

Turn 12 - I am way too slow, but if you have driven this you know you have to be brave and trust the tires. I am still don't trust myself or the tires 100%...so I am cautious here and loose a lot of time.

Comments by you pros are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Here is my own critique:

Turn 1 - I am burning a little too much speed before I go in...I think I could leave more speed around the turn. But finding the limit here can be expensive. I am finally full throttling up the hill though. :-)

Turn 4 - A little cautious here since the car wants to come out on the big left hander, I have been more of maintenance throttle here. Leading to the downhill on the first right hander on the Esses I tend to slow down here for no GOOD reason before heading back up the hill.

Turn 5 - still playing with a line here...I love this turn though.

Turn 6 - Improved my line here compared to Saturday - but I think I still have a little more speed in that corner.

Turn 7 - loosing a lot here...but I am not sure why...I am on a car's butt and then it pulls away...I typically late apex here with a hard right turn and get on it quick...maybe PSM is slowing me down here off the turn?

Back straight...I tend to hit 135+ and stay there for Turn 9, goose it coming down the hill right before breaking hard at between 100 & 150 marker. The car has more speed...but starts to feels floaty without any good downforce.

Turn 12 - I am way too slow, but if you have driven this you know you have to be brave and trust the tires. I am still don't trust myself or the tires 100%...so I am cautious here and loose a lot of time.

Comments by you pros are greatly appreciated.
Regarding the floatiness on the back straight through T9, pretty much most cars w/o aftermarket downforce feel this way...and some with downforce do, too. As you get more seat time, you will get more comfortable keeping your foot in it...because after a bit of floatiness, the car quickly setttles down.

EDIT: I was coaching in a full-race GT1 style Z06 in February. Data showed we hit 181 MPH down the back straight...and it was floaty in T9 even with a major splittter & well tuned wing.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:05 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Funny part is, that the instructors I have driven with (in their cars) all drive slower cars (944 and 996C2).

They were all great instructors and you learn a lot in the turns...but the feeling of acceleration and speed was much different!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Funny part is, that the instructors I have driven with (in their cars) all drive slower cars (944 and 996C2).

They were all great instructors and you learn a lot in the turns...but the feeling of acceleration and speed was much different!
Acceleration.....in a 944......non existent.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Acceleration.....in a 944......non existent.
Depends what's under the hood
Old 04-20-2012, 05:14 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Regarding the floatiness on the back straight through T9, pretty much most cars w/o aftermarket downforce feel this way...and some with downforce do, too. As you get more seat time, you will get more comfortable keeping your foot in it...because after a bit of floatiness, the car quickly setttles down.

EDIT: I was coaching in a full-race GT1 style Z06 in February. Data showed we hit 181 MPH down the back straight...and it was floaty in T9 even with a major splittter & well tuned wing.
+1

It may seem counter intuitive, but my car (996 TT) has always felt more planted keeping it flat through 9. This is even back when I had stock DF as well.

I think that maybe when you load the car on one side, the G forces are far greater than the floaty feeling, but when you coast it feels more scary IMO.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:17 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

I don't so much coast as maintain speed. I actually find that slowing during T9 is very scary. I am looking to replace my C4S Splitter with Turbo Aero - maybe it will help me a bit.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:14 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I don't so much coast as maintain speed. I actually find that slowing during T9 is very scary. I am looking to replace my C4S Splitter with Turbo Aero - maybe it will help me a bit.
I was just going by your decreasing speed from turn-in to braking point. You may not be 100% coast (completely off throttle), but you are coasting through there.

Since you are decelerating, regardless or how slowly, more weight is in the front of the car instead of the rear during acceleration. This feel is exaggerated by the fact that you had more weight rear for the rest of the straight, then transferred it forward and now the track is turning and falling away at the same time. If you are still on throttle you still have some positive g and therefore more weight rearward and more stable feeling.

(in my opinion)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
+1

It may seem counter intuitive, but my car (996 TT) has always felt more planted keeping it flat through 9. This is even back when I had stock DF as well.

I think that maybe when you load the car on one side, the G forces are far greater than the floaty feeling, but when you coast it feels more scary IMO.

Spot on. Agree 100%. Even felt this in a 996TT (2WD like yours) full-race car I coached in to do its set up for Road Atlanta. Car was 100% planted down there if I kept the gas 100% matted.

Originally Posted by wanna911
Since you are decelerating, regardless or how slowly, more weight is in the front of the car instead of the rear during acceleration. This feel is exaggerated by the fact that you had more weight rear for the rest of the straight, then transferred it forward and now the track is turning and falling away at the same time. If you are still on throttle you still have some positive g and therefore more weight rearward and more stable feeling.

(in my opinion)
Yup yup yup!!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

I will take this into account next time....I may be feeding my own fear and making it less stable in the process. I know our club's edict is "Never let off the gas in T12" for that very reason of lightening up the rear.

I didn't really believe how much coasting I was doing until I went back and looked at the g-forces graph. Definitely showing a small amount of forward G's - which obviously means I am doing the wrong thing.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:51 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

...and thank you all for the feedback! I know it is not as good as the right seat - but sometimes seeing the data is more telling.

Quick Reply: NARRA Road Atlanta