Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

2012 Grand Prix of Bahrain

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Against all odds, I'm picking Fernando Alonso Although, Button seems to be the flavor of the month, the racing has been so good and competative IMHO anything can and will happen. I expect to see either or both Perez and Kobayashi on the podium and probably one of the Mercedes drivers This may be the hardest season to pick a winner Makes this season one of the sweetest this millinium
Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
....When I asked about Schumacher, he said that Schumacher was unbelievable during his days at Ferrari, but not the absolute fastest driver. He said what made Schumacher "unbelievable" was his ability to understand the car he had underneather him and work almost like one of the engineers which elevated his on track speed above others.
IMHO, one of the most memorable traits of the Brawn/Schumacher era at Ferrari was Michael's ability to turn out fast laps when the call came in from Ross.
It was impressive to hear Ross tell Michael that he needs xxx seconds in the next xxx laps and Michael would turn out faster lap after faster lap and end up with th exact gap needed by Ross for the strategy to work.

I have yet to see another driver exhibit anything even close to that ability.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:53 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
IMHO, one of the most memorable traits of the Brawn/Schumacher era at Ferrari was Michael's ability to turn out fast laps when the call came in from Ross.
It was impressive to hear Ross tell Michael that he needs xxx seconds in the next xxx laps and Michael would turn out faster lap after faster lap and end up with th exact gap needed by Ross for the strategy to work.

Oh Really? You haven't been watching very closely. DV can do anything. You know, best driver in the history of the world. Just ask Raj and AG.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Oh Really? You haven't been watching very closely. DV can do anything. You know, best driver in the history of the world. Just ask Raj and AG.
I answered your question this morning and you still have not answered mine!!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Give me a car that's 1 second faster than the competition, I can then drive around about the same pace as others, or maybe 0.1-0.3 seconds faster than rest until you give me the call to get a 5 sec lead within 5-7 laps and I'll do that any time you want.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:07 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

it's killing you guys that everybody agrees that Alonso is all that and a bag of chips What would you be saying if he actually had a GOOD car to drive? that's right ----- nothing ------ You guys sound like a broken record. Make all the DV jokes you'd like but whatever you think about his off track accusations, the man is remarkable on track

Testing starts in a couple weeks at Mugello and F will be back with a vengence!!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
it's killing you guys that everybody agrees that Alonso is all that and a bag of chips What would you be saying if he actually had a GOOD car to drive? that's right ----- nothing ------ You guys sound like a broken record. Make all the DV jokes you'd like but whatever you think about his off track accusations, the man is remarkable on track

Testing starts in a couple weeks at Mugello and F will be back with a vengence!!!!
How many WDC has Alonso won with Ferrari?
No, take your time....
Zero...that is remarkable, especially given the fashion by which he won zero (or more specifically lost one).

Yes, Ferrari will be back with a vengeance, as soon as their F1 rental car arrives from Sauber, in time to rescue some pride and dignity.

It is pathetic that Alonso is driving for Ferrari (the most favored and famous team in the history of the sport and business of F1) and has a massive sponsor, yet is completely impotent to actually deliver a championship.
What was he thinking when he left McLaren and Renault, bound and determined to drive for Ferrari, no matter what the cost? Evidently he either didn't think it through or he simply isn't as good as he thinks he is.

Perhaps he should blackmail Ferrari in order to organize a departure from Ferrari so he can drive for Sauber. In exchange, Perez takes his seat at Ferrari.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I just think Alonso is past his peak, overrated and completely devoid of a moral compass. He has yet to accept responsibility for any of his past transgressions and has left his previous teams under less than ideal conditions. In this regard, he is more the exception rather than the rule in F1. He has a massive sponsor and he got everything he ever wished for (driving for Ferrari), yet has failed to win a WDC. Not winning a WDC in F1 driving for Ferrari is a failure, especially given recent championships (Kimi and Michael).
Again, my prediction is that he leaves the sport with 2WDC and is a quickly forgotten footnote at Ferrari.

I also revel in the fact that Luca is torn between his love for money (Santander) and his love for Ferrari victories. I hope Ferrari never wins another WDC or Constructor's championship again, as long as Luca is in charge.
Apart from that, I just miss Sato
+993

I have been following F1 since the late 60s and while I am under no illusion that this sport and the drivers are not a role models I cannot recall a driver who has had the talent of Alonso yet is devoid of any, what Lewis said, of a moral compass.

Look at all the scandals he has been in the middle of, disgusting.

I lost respect from him when he whined about losing to Hamilton. He threw a tantrum when Masa raced against him last year resulting in Masa letting Alonso by under team orders.

Alonso has lost a step. And in hindsight I predict Maranello will regret hiring him.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I can still recall the expression on Ron Dennis' face when Alonso 'parked' for 10 seconds after the jack went down, while Hamilton was waiting behind him in the pits.
Yes, waiting for a safe release, as determined by Alonso's physio.

Alonso has talent, nothing that puts him in the top 10 history of the sport IMHO, but definitely talented. If anything, his "alleged transgressions" would cast enough doubt to remove him from that list, again IMHO.
There are many talented drivers on the grid and looking for sponsorship money so they can be on the grid.

However, he was the beneficiary of a very good Renault car (mass damper) and Michelin tire support (during the tire wars), combined with a freak Ferrari engine failure at Suzuka, thus yielding him 2 WDC.
I believe that is how the story will end. Eventually Santander is going to determine that there is no return on investment (WDC) and they will quietly leave Ferrari.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:17 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Force India personnel in firebomb scare in Bahrain

The protestors were not targeting the cars, they just happened to be there, says BIC chairman

Four members of the Sahara Force India F1 team were caught up in the unrest in Bahrain on Wednesday night.

The incident occurred as they travelled back from the Bahrain International Circuit to their hotel. The vehicle they were travelling in got stuck in traffic, as police and protesters clashed on the main road to the capital Manama. A firebomb then landed near the car. Although no one was injured, two team members - one of whom was involved in the incident - have since asked to return home.

Bahrain International Circuit chairman Zayed R Alzayani told Autosport: “It was an isolated incident, and my wife was involved too.

“The protestors were not targeting the cars, they just happened to be there. Nobody was injured.

"I don't command the police; they know what to do better than I do. I have a race to run.”

The FIA's decision to hold the race meanwhile has come under further scrutiny, after the All Party Parliamentary Group for Democracy in Bahrain wrote to the major sponsors involved in F1 and urged them to boycott this weekend's event.

An excerpt from the letter, published by the Daily Telegraph, read: “Should the Bahrain Grand Prix go ahead, the sport and its associates run the risk of looking greedy and out of touch with the reality of the situation.

“We are most alarmed that you see no grounds to sever your brand and save its reputation from a totalitarian regime.”

“I think it is a very silly decision they [the FIA] have made,” Labour MP Andy Slaughter, who is Group Chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Democracy in Bahrain, added in an interview with BBC Sport. “Nobody can deny the problems we had last year in Bahrain are continuing. I think that's very clear. There is no more reason for going ahead than last year.

"It is very naive to say [the F1 race is only about sport]... even if you're not interested in the wider political situation there, there are still humanitarian issues here.”
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

It's starting to get ugly...

Activists call for days of rage as F1 arrives in Bahrain
Police scatter 200 protesters with stun grenades after rally as Bernie Ecclestone calls country 'peaceful'

"Formula One here is the sport of the ruling family, the sport of the crown prince, the son of the king, who is considered to be the biggest violator," said Nabeel Rajab, one of the country's leading activists, who was at the demonstration. Not far off riot police carried batons and teargas guns.

Rajab said: "Because of crimes committed last year Bahrain was in international isolation. Now Formula One is used as a PR tool to come out of international isolation. The race is helping the ruling family. Yes, people are angry. Yes, it is a negative message to the people of Bahrain who lost a lot of people, it sends the wrong message to the people."

Activists in the country are pushing to get their voices heard ahead of Sunday's race. Three "days of rage" have been called, to begin after prayers on Friday. The opposition groups are particularly resentful of the promotional slogan "unif1ed" which is being used by race organisers with the letters "F1" highlighted in the middle.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:54 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I really hope one of these nutjobs doesn't try and make a statement this weekend. If it was my crew and cars we would not be there.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:33 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
I really hope one of these nut jobs doesn't try and make a statement this weekend. If it was my crew and cars we would not be there.
Which nut job, those loyal to the 41 year old totalitarian monarchy or those fighting for Democracy? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:53 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Which nut job, those loyal to the 41 year old totalitarian monarchy or those fighting for Democracy? Inquiring minds want to know.
Any nutjob that hurts innocent people to get attention for their cause.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Eifeler
Pro

They're all nuts.

Quick Reply: 2012 Grand Prix of Bahrain