Sponsored by:

BFG R1 on a 964, any info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG R1 on a 964, any info?

All, Is anyone running the BFG R1's on a 964? I did a search but didn't come up with any information on this particular car. What sizes can one use? It looks like the 225F/265R on 18's might be the best option.

Also, how do these compare to Michelin PS Cups? I'm ideally looking for something faster than the cups but better wear than the Hoosiers.

Cheers, James
Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Great question - I would love to hear the above as well as how long they last compared to MPSCs.

-Skip
Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by swftiii
Great question - I would love to hear the above as well as how long they last compared to MPSCs.

-Skip
Life will not be as long as mpsc's. Closer to but slightly more life than Hoosier's (in my experience).
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by James Achard
All, Is anyone running the BFG R1's on a 964? I did a search but didn't come up with any information on this particular car. What sizes can one use? It looks like the 225F/265R on 18's might be the best option.

Also, how do these compare to Michelin PS Cups? I'm ideally looking for something faster than the cups but better wear than the Hoosiers.

Cheers, James
Given proper setup and wheel sizing, 225/265 fit fine. The tires are arguably a bit behind R6s and take a half lap or longer to get to temp, but do last longer - and seem to hang in better late session or on hot tracks.

I'll race on R6s this year, but the R1 remains the tire of choice for all else. I'll also have hard data to support both by mid-summer.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 AM
James Achard
Pro

Kai, I'll be running the 225F/265R on 8.5"F and 10"R wheel widths respectively. I'm a little concerned the car might push a bit. What has been your experience? I currently use MSPC tires and get very good results with those.

Cheers, James
Old 04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Push" is a relative term. What you want, I want and another finds comfortable is all relative.

These are the correct tire sizes for our cars; setup can be altered after you put hours into the car...at the moment the throttle is your best friend. With these cars, it always be, regardless of tires and hardware.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM
James Achard
Pro

Originally Posted by KaiB
"Push" is a relative term. What you want, I want and another finds comfortable is all relative.

These are the correct tire sizes for our cars; setup can be altered after you put hours into the car...at the moment the throttle is your best friend. With these cars, it always be, regardless of tires and hardware.
Yes, when I was running the MSPC's back in 2003 on my Club Racing 911, they only had a 225 which was quite narrow and no matter what you did it pushed. I know I can dial it out with ARB settings but was wondering if anyone ran the 245 up front instead. Typically that size is overkill on these cars since one tends to over tire the car at that point but some of that is driving style too.

Quick Reply: BFG R1 on a 964, any info?