Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to get a 993 to handle like a GT3 RS Mk1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
^^^ I have to tell you how good the 997 RS is. I have coached several drivers with this car on the factory MPSC's and was asked to drive the car a bit to demonstrate car balance etc. With my student driving the car was able to match the apex speeds of a well driven 996 Cup. The car is so capable and impressive. I still enjoy driving the 993, but the GT3 is that good.
Yeah I know I couldnt believe how good it felt in the track. But I dont have the money to buy one so Ill just try to make the most out of my car
Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by camlob
So will it be possible to make my car handle like a GT3 RS or even similar to it?
I would say absolutely not. If you want something to handle as well as a GT3 then you need a similar chassis and a multi-link suspension. A 993 can be made to handle extremely well, but it will never be as good as a well setup GT3.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by 38D
I would say absolutely not. If you want something to handle as well as a GT3 then you need a similar chassis and a multi-link suspension. A 993 can be made to handle extremely well, but it will never be as good as a well setup GT3.
I think we could agree there that a 993 could not handle like a GT3 Its a given, the GT3 is better in every dept. But when I said similarly, I meant characteristics that I can harness from the 993, to feel like a GT3. Better turn-in etc. Some have come up with suggestions with monoballs etc. I think they are right, with one member saying that his car actually pulled better lateral g's than a cup car. With even the cup car owner saying that his 993 turned-in even better.

I actually remember a EVO article where the 996 GT3 RS beats the 993 RS by around 13 secs at the Ring. Then the 997 RS improves on it by a couple of sec's but not that big.

I just spoke again with my brother and I didnt realize that he put monoballs on the upper control arms Hmm....makes the comparison even farther. And I found out that he had cup tires when I tried it. Ha.ha...no wonder there was such a huge disparity. Its going to get even farther because, on the hp dept, he is installing a 4.1l kit!

He is insisting that I get a Guards LSD first.

So its a given that I wont get it to that level, but I want to have the character so I can enjoy the car
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile One more thing....

Scrap those TRG bars...get some 993RS 23mm front and 20mm rear bars. The TRGs are just too big. When I had them, I had to run them full soft front on the front, and usually ran full soft on the rear, in the middle of the position if I wanted to toss the car around a bit. What is the point of adjustability if the bars can't be adjusted? If I ran something other than full soft on front, on the tighter tracks I'd be lifting the inside wheel off the ground..not good driving on 3 wheels, VS 4.

RS drop links? Maybe, if they are available. I have the RS bars and Tarrett Engineering drop links, work perfectly for me.

ERP camber plates are sweet too, as well as the complete ERP rear set up, toe, camber and kinematic toe. I have toe and camber, maybe kinematic some day.

The GT2 front uprights and tie rod ends are a nice touch...some day for me on this mod.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:24 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Paul,

If we compare a monoballed 993 (wih aero) to a factory GT3 or RS then, I believe yes you can get the 993 to handle as well, if not better. There are however so many variables that could on any given day swing the comparison one way or another.

If you then start talking about a modded GT3 or RS then the stakes change, the 993's are lighter which can be an advantage in some situations, however the 997 platform is a better platform that the 993 and once you start modding the delta changes significantly.

A quick note on the TRG swaybars, I have never had an issue running them close to full stiff when the conditions and the track warranted them. My starting point at most new tracks with the swaybars is a middle setting on the TRG, and moving from there. I have never had my TRG's set at full soft, ever.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:25 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Don't get the RS droplinks as they cant be adjusted to eliminate pre-load. I've got them on my 964 cup and trust me, they really blow (have to use these in PCA GTC1 though).
Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default I must agree..

And they are in short supply in addition to being non-adjustable. I have the Tarrett Engineering drop links with my 993 RS bars, great combo IMHO.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:30 PM
JMR
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you might want to experiment with the TRG sways. I ran mine full soft in the front and fill stiff in the rear and the car felt great. Obviously others have run them differently with much success so it might make sense to play with them.

Also, I agree with your brother about getting the LSD.

For whatever this is worth -- I am far from an expert.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 PM
trophy
Race Car

I with everyone on the Tarrett drop links, there new solution of a curved one for the rear is also a welcome addition to there other great products.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 AM
camlob
Pro

Tried adjusting my sways to full stiff at the rear and medium in the front. Feels much better. I can just imagine how it will handle with the monoballs and the solid subframe mounts.

Ill do the aggressive alignment settings next Anyway the sumi's are to be changed

Last edited by camlob; 04-14-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:53 PM
trophy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
PS I'd be very interested in learning the ET of the 9" front wheels that you are using w/ the 255/35 tires
Hey Bill measured them today, Tires are on them so may be a mm or 2 out...

Measured out at with an ET of 43mm.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to get a 993 to handle like a GT3 RS Mk1?