Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do F1 drivers use HANS and Top Fuel racers use R3s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:54 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why do F1 drivers use HANS and Top Fuel racers use R3s?

Watched a bit of a top fuel race last night and noticed that all the drivers wore R3 or hybrid devices.

F1 and Top Fuel drivers experience the roughly same G forces (~6) but top fuel cars go another +130mph faster. They also have higher deceleration when the parachutes deploy.

I dont want to spark another comparison thread, but I couldnt help but wonder why F1 drivers use HANS and top fuel drivers use R3s? I'm sure lateral G and fatigue have considerable roles in that decision but does anybody actually know why?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't believe the R3 would meet the FIA H&N restraint specification, which was written around the HANS....and I will leave it at that.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

From a F1 perspective weight is king...
Old 04-02-2012, 05:44 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
From a F1 perspective weight is king...
+1

I use R3 and happy with it.
Don't have to rely on the belts at all.

Think about the secondary impact when belts are stretched... what's going to hold the HANS in place..? of course we're talking about the certain angle of impact, but possibility is always there.

In open wheel car the seating position is different (compare to our cars) what makes the HANS safer.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Because F1 is hemmed in by a HANS only mandate.

HANS up until recently was the only FIA certified device so it was a no brainer. Only this last year has anyone spent the time to get certified. (Simspon/Safety Solutions Hybrid). ltc isn't entirely correct that the FIA restraint spec is written around HANS. It's now more like the spec is written to insure that the HANS device isn't deviated from when the teams make their own devices like we see.

It's also not the seating position that makes the HANS safer. It's more that the cockpit safety system mitigates the issues that we see in a HANS. There is no movement for the head in offset or side impacts. The cockpit surround only allows the head/helmet to move in pretty much on direction, forward and back, the direction that HANS is ideal in.

FWIW most of the top fuel guys are running a device called the Hyrbrid X. It has two more helmet attachments on teh front that limit movement even more. Fine for top fuel but I wouldn't use it on a road course.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I would say some of the NHRA influence is from John Force and the Eric Medlen Project. He has spent millions, in conguction with Ford, testing car chassis and safety equipment. I would guess that he found something that makes it better for drag racing (and maybe all racing?).
Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Because F1 is hemmed in by a HANS only mandate.

HANS up until recently was the only FIA certified device so it was a no brainer. Only this last year has anyone spent the time to get certified. (Simspon/Safety Solutions Hybrid). ltc isn't entirely correct that the FIA restraint spec is written around HANS. It's now more like the spec is written to insure that the HANS device isn't deviated from when the teams make their own devices like we see.

It's also not the seating position that makes the HANS safer. It's more that the cockpit safety system mitigates the issues that we see in a HANS. There is no movement for the head in offset or side impacts. The cockpit surround only allows the head/helmet to move in pretty much on direction, forward and back, the direction that HANS is ideal in.

FWIW most of the top fuel guys are running a device called the Hyrbrid X. It has two more helmet attachments on teh front that limit movement even more. Fine for top fuel but I wouldn't use it on a road course.
I anxiously await an FIA driver to wear anything other than a HANS.
Please be sure to update this thread when that happens.

I had followed H&N restraints for years and came to the conclusion that the Earnhardt fatality was the trigger for series to mandate the HANS. Without that incident, I doubt H&D would have been able to grow their business as they have been able to do. Something was needed ASAP and H&D had something (albeit fundamentally flawed in concept and implementation) and the rest is history.

Quick Reply: Why do F1 drivers use HANS and Top Fuel racers use R3s?