Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Track Pad Question (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/688991-track-pad-question.html)

Whosurdaddy 03-31-2012 07:38 PM

Track Pad Question

Hello Gents. I am a former Corvette owner who is about to take delivery of my first 997.2. I am not sure if I'll bother with race rubber initially. So, if I don't - what are thoughts about pad compounds?

Can I just get Pagid Yellows which would work for me when I get some track rubber? On the Corvette I would never do that b/c the bite I get off the serious pad material would over run street tires in a heartbeat, but I've been led to believe that this might not be the case in Porsche-land.

What do you guys think - should would be convenient to just buy some yellows and keep them in place no matter what tires I'm using on track.

LC MotorSports 03-31-2012 08:04 PM

My suggestion would be to wait on the Pagid Yellows until your car starts running R compound. Spend sometime running the OEM pads then look at sampling the RS4-4's while still on Street tires. When you slap on the track rubber... then place the RS29's in the front with some RS14's in the back.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Cheers,
Chris

Whosurdaddy 04-09-2012 09:51 PM

I can't imagine tracking a car on stock pads even with street rubber. Wouldnt I run through a set quickly running in black or red at any track that is even moderately rough on brakes?

mglobe 04-09-2012 09:56 PM

I think the stock Porsche pads will surprise you, and I agree with Chris that the Pagid Yellows, or any other race type pad will overpower your street tires.

Doc GTO 04-10-2012 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Whosurdaddy (Post 9432057)
I can't imagine tracking a car on stock pads even with street rubber. Wouldnt I run through a set quickly running in black or red at any track that is even moderately rough on brakes?

The P-car OEM pads are very durable. I was running instructor class with OEM (for steel) pads on my 911S with the PCCB calipers and steelies in place of the ceramics. No issues. I did have hi temp fluid in and I would suggest the same for you.

Once you get some R compound tires then step up the pads to suit.

Good luck and enjoy.

mdrums 04-10-2012 12:40 PM

I agree...if you use stock tires then use stock pads...they actually work very very well and your rotors will last longer with stock pads.

When you move to R-Compound DOT tires like Toyo R888, Pirelli Trofeo's and such then you willneed to upgrade your pads to cope with the grip these tires offer. The Pagid RS29 Yellows front and RS14 Blacks in the rear work great. Also PFC 08's work great and Cobalt has some great pads that Rolex Grand AM GT and ST teams are using.

However for any track use you should up grade you brake fluid to Prospeed 683 or at least Motul RBF660.