Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Pad Question

Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Whosurdaddy
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Pad Question

Hello Gents. I am a former Corvette owner who is about to take delivery of my first 997.2. I am not sure if I'll bother with race rubber initially. So, if I don't - what are thoughts about pad compounds?

Can I just get Pagid Yellows which would work for me when I get some track rubber? On the Corvette I would never do that b/c the bite I get off the serious pad material would over run street tires in a heartbeat, but I've been led to believe that this might not be the case in Porsche-land.

What do you guys think - should would be convenient to just buy some yellows and keep them in place no matter what tires I'm using on track.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:04 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

My suggestion would be to wait on the Pagid Yellows until your car starts running R compound. Spend sometime running the OEM pads then look at sampling the RS4-4's while still on Street tires. When you slap on the track rubber... then place the RS29's in the front with some RS14's in the back.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Cheers,
Chris
Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Whosurdaddy
User

I can't imagine tracking a car on stock pads even with street rubber. Wouldnt I run through a set quickly running in black or red at any track that is even moderately rough on brakes?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the stock Porsche pads will surprise you, and I agree with Chris that the Pagid Yellows, or any other race type pad will overpower your street tires.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Doc GTO
User

Originally Posted by Whosurdaddy View Post
I can't imagine tracking a car on stock pads even with street rubber. Wouldnt I run through a set quickly running in black or red at any track that is even moderately rough on brakes?
The P-car OEM pads are very durable. I was running instructor class with OEM (for steel) pads on my 911S with the PCCB calipers and steelies in place of the ceramics. No issues. I did have hi temp fluid in and I would suggest the same for you.

Once you get some R compound tires then step up the pads to suit.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
mdrums
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree...if you use stock tires then use stock pads...they actually work very very well and your rotors will last longer with stock pads.

When you move to R-Compound DOT tires like Toyo R888, Pirelli Trofeo's and such then you willneed to upgrade your pads to cope with the grip these tires offer. The Pagid RS29 Yellows front and RS14 Blacks in the rear work great. Also PFC 08's work great and Cobalt has some great pads that Rolex Grand AM GT and ST teams are using.

However for any track use you should up grade you brake fluid to Prospeed 683 or at least Motul RBF660.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: