Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NTO1 vs fresh Hoosiers - how much time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:34 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Those are the tires I run back east...at Watkins Glen and VIR (both 2+ minute tracks for my Cayman), the NT01 are about 2-3 sec slower. However, I have run my old set of NT01 through 40+ cycles whereas the Hoosies only last me less than 20 (i have to check that with my log book). Nittos are great, long lasting tire for DE's...
Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

A couple of things make an apples-to-apples comparison tough. You need different alignment settings for both tires, first and foremost. But Nittos get better as you wear through them, while Hoosiers have that fantastic (but brief) window, and then a moderate (and then precipitous) slide down.

So you could do a side-by-side comparison, but you'd need two sets of each tire (one for getting the setup right, one for the actual numbers), and at that point correcting for temperature differences over the time you're running through four sets of tires will become a factor.

There are also driving style differences, where the driver would need to be pretty familiar with each tire before you started the testing.

I run the Nittos now and I like them a lot. I've run Hoosiers in the past, but if I slapped on a pair now I think there'd be an adjustment period where the tires and I got re-acquainted. Based on my own experience, I would say Veloce Raptor's guess is (as usual) pretty spot-on. For a shorter track, the difference would obviously be less. And the braking zones and other characteristics of the track would also play a factor.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:11 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

In my experience switching between the two tires, Hoosiers seem to be worth 2 seconds. Maybe 3 max.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

Last fall at BIR, I ran 12 heat cycled Hoosiers around the same time as new R888's in a class E 911. It was DE, so I was not pushing as hard as I could. I would guess 3 secs in my comparison if I would have had fresh Hoosiers.

I don't know how to compare NT01 vs R888.

Turns 1 and 2 at BIR seem to separate the front runners from the rest of the field with this level of car. T1 can be the fastest corner in North America and the goal is to not lift. Everyone should try this track at least once.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
A couple of things make an apples-to-apples comparison tough. You need different alignment settings for both tires, first and foremost. But Nittos get better as you wear through them, while Hoosiers have that fantastic (but brief) window, and then a moderate (and then precipitous) slide down.

So you could do a side-by-side comparison, but you'd need two sets of each tire (one for getting the setup right, one for the actual numbers), and at that point correcting for temperature differences over the time you're running through four sets of tires will become a factor.

There are also driving style differences, where the driver would need to be pretty familiar with each tire before you started the testing.

I run the Nittos now and I like them a lot. I've run Hoosiers in the past, but if I slapped on a pair now I think there'd be an adjustment period where the tires and I got re-acquainted. Based on my own experience, I would say Veloce Raptor's guess is (as usual) pretty spot-on. For a shorter track, the difference would obviously be less. And the braking zones and other characteristics of the track would also play a factor.
What specific changes did you have to make to your alignment when changing from Hoosier to Nitto, and why did you make them? The very limited published set-up recommendations I've seen from each company has about the same range listed for camber (~3deg) and caster (++).
Old 04-03-2012, 04:16 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Jack is correct re different alignment ...I have tried to optimize alignment for R6 since the Nittos are much less sensitive to alignment setitngs (i.e. wear appears pretty even across the tire even though temps may be hotter in one section, go figure)
Old 04-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

So what exactly did you change on your alignment to optimize for R6 compared to NT01? camber? caster? toe? ride height? rake? spring rates? damping?

Just saying "different alignment" doesn't really mean anything at all. It seems to me that if you have a good baseline set-up for R6's it will work for NT01's too based on my experiences and what I've read from Nitto and Hoosier. But maybe I'm leaving time on the table - what should I change to make my R6 set-up work for NT01?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Point taken about being different tracks, but I still disagree with 4 seconds at Brainerd.
Still agree. Brainerd long, as originally talked about, is a HP course with big long straight and a couple of high speed turns as mentioned. It's not a handling course. Never has been. It's been a 'manly' course though thanks to that turn one. Short course is too short for 4 seconds to happen as well IMO. While the turns are there, it's just not long enough.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory M
So what exactly did you change on your alignment to optimize for R6 compared to NT01? camber? caster? toe? ride height? rake? spring rates? damping?

Just saying "different alignment" doesn't really mean anything at all. It seems to me that if you have a good baseline set-up for R6's it will work for NT01's too based on my experiences and what I've read from Nitto and Hoosier. But maybe I'm leaving time on the table - what should I change to make my R6 set-up work for NT01?
Not getting too crazy yet...i am not that good. Played around with Camber mostly. objective was to get even temps/wear. I dont care about Nitto times since those are used for DE. R6's required whacky asymmetric camber to get close to even tire temps and wear. Whereas the Nittos were set to -3 for front and -2.2 for back and off i went. got over 45 heat cycles and decided that was enough...probably had another DE day or more. It seemed to wear slower and slower towards the end. I just started using the Nittos with the wierd R6 camber settings and have noticed that they do not wear any differently. Haven't measured temp lately but should next time.

Quick Reply: NTO1 vs fresh Hoosiers - how much time?