Sponsored by:

NTO1 vs fresh Hoosiers - how much time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Good grief, you Debbie Downers are a bunch of wet blankets, as usual.

He said make educated guesses. Duh.
Isn't she dating Alonso now?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:39 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
depends so much on the car and track that anyone who is giving you a solid answer is making a wild *** guess.
He actually said long track, 2 minutes for him, and he has a couple turbo cars (vs spec miatas). A few seconds may be a guess, but given the input, it's far from a wild *** one. . Heck, changing he parameters, you can make anything better. For example, running in the rain would clearly not give Hoosier the advantage - and even though I'm guessing, I'm pretty sure that's not far off either.

Fwiw, I have run both a "few" times. And although it's a single data point, it matches VRs experience. I'm sure others have different wild *** guesses as well. Perhaps, the more info/input we have, the less wild our ***-guesses become. Lol

-td
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for all the input - obviously the only way for me to find out in my specific case is to do the experiment and see what the results are. Hopefully I will get enough days in to wear out the NTO1s this year and then maybe try some R6s for comparison.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM
gab997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74goldtarga
Thanks guys. The funny thing is that I am spending 10k when you add it all up for a new engine with bigger turbo (blah blah blah) and I will be lucky to get 4 sec. a lap out of that but will be leaving 4 seconds a lap on the table for tires, oh well. I'm hoping the consistency of the tires will help me figure out how to drive my car with the new power plant. Anyone interested in a new set of NTO1 in 17" ...
Let me know size and price I may take them from you.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:19 AM
74goldtarga
Pro

sorry gab997 I was joking, however, when I heard 4 seconds I was reconsidering my choice in these tires - I have to keep reminding myself I'm only doing DE. A person as competitive as myself should have been born with better driving talent and a bigger budget.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you will see a 4 second drop from a fresh NT01 to a fresh R6. I ran an A6 for time trial on my old GT3 and NT01s for practice. So I routinely compared data from them. I always saw a 3 second difference at VIR which is a 2 minute track.

With that said, only time I ran R6s they were a 1.5 slower than A6. So in my somewhat educated guess I'd say a 1.5 difference from NT01 to R6.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
I don't think you will see a 4 second drop from a fresh NT01 to a fresh R6. I ran an A6 for time trial on my old GT3 and NT01s for practice. So I routinely compared data from them. I always saw a 3 second difference at VIR which is a 2 minute track.

With that said, only time I ran R6s they were a 1.5 slower than A6. So in my somewhat educated guess I'd say a 1.5 difference from NT01 to R6.
Did you change your set up to specifically accommodate each tire, which is the precondition he specified?...
Old 04-01-2012, 10:25 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

The car was optimized more for Hoosier - camber, toe, etc was the same, I would only change shock settings (these were 3 way Motons). However, that would probably narrow the gap between the two tires, not make it wider (assuming NT01 would go faster if optimized for it).
Old 04-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
The car was optimized more for Hoosier - camber, toe, etc was the same, I would only change shock settings (these were 3 way Motons). However, that would probably narrow the gap between the two tires, not make it wider (assuming NT01 would go faster if optimized for it).
Interesting. Looking at his course at Brainerd (the 2.5 mile course....vastly diufferent that VIR), I would expect the R6 to be much better than the NT01:

http://www.brainerdraceway.com/track...scription.html
Old 04-01-2012, 10:40 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

VR - you're right, it's significantly more technical which will favor the better tire. I'll bump my prediction to 2.5-3 seconds for that track. I just don't see R6 as being a 4 second a lap faster. A6 would be on that track potentially, but that is not a good DE tire.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

We actually run both courses. The long course is more HP dependent and the short course favors lighter cars with better grip/handling. I suspect the short course would be more affected by tires but I'm not sure what people have seen - I have a new question to ask the guys in the club next time I'm there. The interesting thing is that the long course lap time is very dependent on speed through the high-speed sweepers turn 1 and 2 and the velocity in these corners is obviously determined by peak grip / lateral G throughout the corner.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 PM
gab997
Racer

Originally Posted by 74goldtarga
sorry gab997 I was joking, however, when I heard 4 seconds I was reconsidering my choice in these tires - I have to keep reminding myself I'm only doing DE. A person as competitive as myself should have been born with better driving talent and a bigger budget.
No problem, people say that the R6's are a good 2-4 seconds quicker at Sebring depending on driver and setup. My thinking is that the NT01 is a great bang for the buck. They are definately more consistent throughout the life of the tire vs the R6 and the cost much less. Last set of NT01's I had 40 hc on the and they were around 1-1.5 seconds slower than fresh tires. The only reason I had to change them out is that I did not have enough camber in the car and corded the edge.

For now I will be staying with the NT01's until my driving skills require me to change to the hoohoo's. Next upgrade will be driver (coaching)!

Cheers,

Greg
Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

4 seconds.
No way, as much as I would like to believe that I would've done 1:52's at TWS in my GTS2 car if I would've put 'real' tires on it... not gonna happen.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
No way, as much as I would like to believe that I would've done 1:52's at TWS in my GTS2 car if I would've put 'real' tires on it... not gonna happen.
Actually, you're a good driver...I'll bet you could have...

But, we're not talking about TWS. We're talking about the much more technical Brainerd.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Actually, you're a good driver...I'll bet you could have...

But, we're not talking about TWS. We're talking about the much more technical Brainerd.
Point taken about being different tracks, but I still disagree with 4 seconds at Brainerd.

Quick Reply: NTO1 vs fresh Hoosiers - how much time?