Sponsored by:

First time on R-comps at the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by teamking
I don't know what you mean by that. But it should go without saying that the calculations done as torques and forces would yield the same ambiguous result. F=ma vs P=dE/dt. Gets you to the same place.
That you're not familiar with the term Kibortian proves you to be a man of superb character. Honestly.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:27 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by teamking
So I've made my decision? Not remotely!
You're just stalling now.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:54 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
You're just stalling now.
You'd like to think that, wouldn't you?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:06 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by KaiB
That you're not familiar with the term Kibortian proves you to be a man of superb character. Honestly.
I appreciate your compliment. Unfortunately, I have read too many of Kibort's posts to be able to accept it.

I just wasn't sure *why* you had referenced Kibort, and didn't want this to head toward the torque-is-more-important-than-horsepower crusade.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Will:
You made the lesser known classic blunder. Never go in against a Texan (VR) when braking is on the line.

When I raced an E stock 951 on 16" wheels at VIR in 2008, I would shift to 5th on the back straight. Traqmate showed I would hit a higher top speed when I braked. I would brake when the car compressed as it started up hill, downshift to 3rd just before the kink going into 14a, brake a little more and turn in to start down the roller coaster.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Will:
You made the lesser known classic blunder. Never go in against a Texan (VR) when braking is on the line.

When I raced an E stock 951 on 16" wheels at VIR in 2008, I would shift to 5th on the back straight. Traqmate showed I would hit a higher top speed when I braked. I would brake when the car compressed as it started up hill, downshift to 3rd just before the kink going into 14a, brake a little more and turn in to start down the roller coaster.
Mark,

I don't doubt you (and the Texan) are right. Although, it's close enough (in my case with my early braking point) that it would be a fallacy to chose to shift to 5th based on a higher top speed. Sticking with my premature braking point, I would hit 131.8 in 5th, versus 131.4 in 4th, but it still would have been faster to stay in 4th because of the extra half-second stuck at 127 during the shift to 5th.

Obviously, if I can extend the straight by braking at a later point, the extra top speed in 5th will begin to pay back the speed lost during the shift.

Also, though, can I infer from your post that you skip 4th on your way to 3rd from 5th? I've always hit every gear during my downshifting, but his has me rethinking that. What about 4th to 2nd in 11 and 12? Are you downshifting twice, or just waiting and doing it all in one shift right before oak tree?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

the next step is to jump to real slicks....... I found essentially the same as you....

Street tires are baseline...
R comps like RA1 are 4 seconds faster
Hoosier R6's are another 2 faster
Real slicks (even the used ones I run) are another 4 seconds past that...

Based on my home track or 130 second laps....My lemons racer (avatar) can be anywhere from a 2:06 car to a 2:15 car depending on tires...nothing else changes...
Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Will:
I was going 5-4-3 then found in the 951 I could go 5-3. The Traqmate said I was hitting between 136 and 138mph top speed before braking at the end of the back straight. That was after switching up and using 3rd through Oak Tree. It made me carry more speed through the corner in order to keep the revs right to stay on boost, than when I was using 2nd. When braking for 11, I would downshift from 4th to 3rd give a squeeze of throttle through 11, then brake for Oak Tree, then rolling back in the throttle early. You are also running on 16 inch wheels so try 3rd through Oak Tree. The 951 has the torque if you keep the revs and therefore the boost on. If memory serves, I was shifting to 4th just after the South Paddock pit in, and then would shift to 5th at the crest of the hill at about 5800 RPM. I think I have the data file somewhere on a thumb drive so I will see if I can find it.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Will:
I was going 5-4-3 then found in the 951 I could go 5-3. The Traqmate said I was hitting between 136 and 138mph top speed before braking at the end of the back straight. That was after switching up and using 3rd through Oak Tree. It made me carry more speed through the corner in order to keep the revs right to stay on boost, than when I was using 2nd. When braking for 11, I would downshift from 4th to 3rd give a squeeze of throttle through 11, then brake for Oak Tree, then rolling back in the throttle early. You are also running on 16 inch wheels so try 3rd through Oak Tree. The 951 has the torque if you keep the revs and therefore the boost on. If memory serves, I was shifting to 4th just after the South Paddock pit in, and then would shift to 5th at the crest of the hill at about 5800 RPM. I think I have the data file somewhere on a thumb drive so I will see if I can find it.
That's really interesting. Do you have any data and/or video-- I'd love to take a look.

I was commenting to Scott (my colleague and garage-mate) during the event that the more I tried to make oak tree a momentum corner, the better it felt and the sooner I could shift to third.

Sounds like you've taken that idea much further!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Will:
I think I have it on an old thumb drive. If I can locate it, I'll email it to you.

Quick Reply: First time on R-comps at the track