Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spinning in a tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012 | 08:29 PM
MattUF
Racer

Default Spinning in a tiptronic

I'm getting to the point at DE's where I'm reaching the the limits (had a couple of moments Saturday where the car wanted to come around) and it got me to thinking: Be it that I am driving a tiptronic, I can't really do "both feet in." I cringe when I think about heading backwards engaged in a forward gear, so is there any advice anyone can give on what to do? I've searched and haven't really seen much info on this subject, maybe the best to do would be to try to lock the breaks to prevent the sudden change in direction from reaching the drivetrain?

Matt
Old 02-27-2012 | 08:49 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

some of the flappy paddle cars do a neutral if both paddles are actuated at the same time.
Old 02-28-2012 | 02:14 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

No, don't lock the brakes, but do remember to apply them. I have seen people spin, and forget to apply brakes, and once the spin is done, roll backwards in slow motion into a tire wall. Locking the brakes will give you ZERO steering control, you can control the aftermath of spin to some extent if you still have wheels turning. You can't do that if you lock up the wheels completely.

I have seen automatics and tiptronics spin lots. I have never heard of tranny or engine damage resulting from a stall because of a spin. Remember the inside of a torque converter is all fans and fluids. There is no direct contact like a clutch and pressure plate and flywheel.
Old 02-28-2012 | 02:48 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
No, don't lock the brakes, but do remember to apply them. I have seen people spin, and forget to apply brakes, and once the spin is done, roll backwards in slow motion into a tire wall. Locking the brakes will give you ZERO steering control, you can control the aftermath of spin to some extent if you still have wheels turning. You can't do that if you lock up the wheels completely.
Actually locked wheels will make the car going straight and also more predictable for the following cars. Unfortunately, most modern cars have ABS that will prevent the wheels from locking up anyway...
Old 02-28-2012 | 02:59 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

both feet in isnt the best anwser in all cases.....sometimes it can be used well, other times it gets you into trouble...
i would think the computer would know what to do, ex on highway 5th gear, stop light ahead you coast up without touching the padels....pretty sure the trans would switch down to first or second for you automatically......
cup car guys gotta remember how many times to go down...one day i hope to have that problem too...one day.

or just use the parking brake, i mean i do that every corner...chicks love drifting dont they.
Old 02-28-2012 | 04:57 PM
MattUF
Racer

So then I would be incorrect in assuming that a sudden change of direction/reversal of force would wreak havoc on the drivetrain? I can just envision going backwards in D and leaving a trail of pieces under the car...
Old 02-28-2012 | 06:44 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

when the car stops going forwards, put the car in neutral, its really very simple. Spinning only means the car is rotating about its axis, or an approximation thereof. It doesn't mean that you can't figure out when the car is going more backwards than forwards.
If this bothers you, practice putting the car intro a spin and then regaining control, it ain't rocket science.

R+C

Quick Reply: Spinning in a tiptronic