Sponsored by:

Spec Boxster Racers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak

Besides, the tire sponsor for both is (or was) Toyo so no issue there. And since there is no contingency in place now Toyo should care less.

I just don't see any logic behind digging in on the tire issue. It's driver choice. Same supplier. Everyone is happy.
Tires need to be the same in both groups, it's a Spec class, people want ease and least expense, at least that is my opinion. Tire size,staggered or square can be open, not a big deal.

Toyo still offers money in NASA, but not that I can see in PCA. Now there is a great reason to race your Boxster in NASA vs PCA !

http://www.nasaproracing.com/conting...ency_Info2.pdf

Regional info found here.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency
Old 02-25-2012, 02:46 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by J richard
Dave, no you're not...

And you do need to give these a try. No power by comparison to the cup but the feel of everything is similar, just taken down in intensity, and with a set of fresh Hoosiers they are a hoot. This is all a shame there are three cars here ready to go and four in the making...
While Hoosiers are great tires it is not what the majority of the class is wanting to run. They want a Spec tire that is long lasting and cheap and not one where running stickers each session would be worth a second plus. Remember Spec racing is an attempt to eliminate the money race.

Now you could run Hoosiers and run in GTS2, and Hoosier has tire money to be won there as well.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Well that's good news. I was looking for that and for some reason I didn't see that version.

Makes no difference though since Toyo isn't going to pay out if NASA doesn't sanction the series.

So this season at least we can't win tires.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:49 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Well that's good news. I was looking for that and for some reason I didn't see that version.

Makes no difference though since Toyo isn't going to pay out if NASA doesn't sanction the series.

I bet the series will be restarted this season and money will still be available.
It's in Toyo's, NASA's, and the racers best interests to work this whole thing out and I am seeing progress just right here on RL, I'm sure others are watching and making notes as well.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Here's hoping!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:09 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

If the two organizations are going to run slightly different rules, make the changes something that costs VERY little money to change (like in the $100's of dollars, not $1000's).

That said, with egos out of the way, I really don't see why NASA can't approach PCA and get a written agreement that allows them to use the same rules that PCA runs. There is nothing heinous at all in the PCA rules. The only thing different from the original rules that matters at all is the square setup, and most drivers seem to prefer that anyway. PCA has the greatest number of SpecBox drivers, many of whom would love to have more opportunities to race near their homes. The ability to run in both groups with the same car will ultimately help both organizations.

Same would hold true for SP996...
Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Folks,

I have the attention of NASA national. They are listening and there is hope. The rules should be the same (period).
Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Folks,

I have the attention of NASA national. They are listening and there is hope. The rules should be the same (period).
Glad they are listening, who would have ever imagined.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Hunt,

The 2012 NASA TOYO contigency form still lists Boxster Spec. Quit your whining

Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Hunt,

The 2012 NASA TOYO contingency form still lists Boxster Spec. Quit your whining
It's a little hard to administer a contingency for a class that doesn't exist which, as of this moment, is the case with SPB

I've received a similarly encouraging email from NASA. All is not lost!

Last edited by Streak; 02-26-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:52 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

I sure hope NASA also considers PBOC and POC along with their new version of rules and PCA's. It sure would be nice to get one single rule set, or some simple, very close, rule set with the differences being non cost items and nothing consequential, among all of the sanctioning bodies.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by mglobe
If the two organizations are going to run slightly different rules, make the changes something that costs VERY little money to change (like in the $100's of dollars, not $1000's).

That said, with egos out of the way, I really don't see why NASA can't approach PCA and get a written agreement that allows them to use the same rules that PCA runs. There is nothing heinous at all in the PCA rules. The only thing different from the original rules that matters at all is the square setup, and most drivers seem to prefer that anyway. PCA has the greatest number of SpecBox drivers, many of whom would love to have more opportunities to race near their homes. The ability to run in both groups with the same car will ultimately help both organizations.

Same would hold true for SP996...
It sure would be cool to see a large Porsche only race run group in NASA comprised of Spec 996 AND Spec Boxster.
I know here in Texas it would not be hard to see a 30-40 car run group like that once all the racers felt good with NASA again, and I am sure with that car count NASA Texas would give those racers their own run group to do it.

How many Spec 996's are now in Texas ?
And say 30+ Spec Boxsters in Texas ? Maybe 40+ Spec Boxsters in Texas ? Does anyone know exactly how many Spec Boxsters there are in Texas ?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 886 Posts

This absurdity is all due to lawyers getting their lace thong panties in a bunch???

Shakespeare was right.....
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I sure hope NASA also considers PBOC and POC along with their new version of rules and PCA's. It sure would be nice to get one single rule set, or some simple, very close, rule set with the differences being non cost items and nothing consequential, among all of the sanctioning bodies.
The POC rules, as far as I can tell, refer back to the original BSR rules. What does PBOC say? I can't find them on the PBOC site.

I could put together a simple spread sheet highlighting the differences and similarities.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Viking,

I don't see how that will be possible.

in 2011 NASA and PCA were the same rules except PCA allowed 225/255 or 255/255 and NASA only allowed 225/255.

In 2012 PCA made very few changes to the 2011 rules based upon driver feedback and switching to the RA1.

In 2012 the POC/PRC have broken off following the guys that used to set the rules for NASA and now allow "open ECU tuning".

The goal would be to update NASA 2011 rules to also allow 255/255 and recognize the Toyo RA1 as the spec tire. Also to update the few things that PCA also recognized based on driver input.

Then PCA and NASA (nationally) would be in sync.

The POC/PRC on the west coast would still be doing their own thing with open ECU tuning. It is going to be hard to come back from that one.

Originally Posted by onefastviking

Quick Reply: Spec Boxster Racers