Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,273 Likes on 1,868 Posts

That's going to be our solution, J
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New Protocol info

I was at the PRI show last week and learned that AIM also has a list of Protocols available in a spreadsheet. I had missed this list in the past so I'm sure some of you have as well. Go to the download site
http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/d...stock_ecus.htm

Click on the Icon I've pasted below. I still will try to track protocols that we have verified to work. AIM is doing better with documentation and Porsche Protocols, so keep your fingers crossed
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

Goofy problem with SmartyCam and SMC Interface. Problem and solution.

Here is the problem and solution:

Camera cannot already be on before the SMC gets power. If its already on, it won't see the SMC interface.

When SMC gets power, it turns on the camera. It must be in that sequence.

When the Smarty is powered up through the bridge (when IT gets power), the boot process checks and finds the interface and loads appropriate drivers etc , updates the UI (record strategy etc) and away we go. It does this during the camera BOOT PROCESS - won't do it later.

If the camera is already on, it won't detect a new interface presence even though it would take 15 minutes to write an event handler for this and probably make testing cameras in shops or at the factory easier.

Remotely possible that the SOURCE of the power up signal does this, but I doubt it as that makes even less sense to me from an engineering perspective.

And when SMC gets power and causes the camera to boot and the drivers are loaded, the record strategy automatically defaults to record-start at 2K RPM. Doesn't seem to be configurable.

I suspect this is true of for the Smarty when connected to any interface and not just SMC. I have to test this with my other car that has MXL and CAN from ECU. But I am pretty sure the same thing will happen.

If its true of any interface, its a design flaw. If its just the SMC its a bug.

If I am right and the camera loads its interface drivers ONLY at boot time, a word of warning. This means that if you have manually turned the camera on for any reason (perhaps changing record type from AVI to MOV or correcting camera angle), you need to turn it off in order for it to properly boot, search and load the interface drivers - Only only at boot time. GRRRRR.

Hope useful information for others.

dan

Originally Posted by dan212
Got a used SmartyCam and ECU/OBDII bridge for my girlfriend who is driving my 996/GT3. I can't get bridge and camera to work together.

Smarty works on its own. Link to bridge isn't working at all. (seller is reputable and said bridge was working when installed)

Smarty is flashed with the latest firmware: 1.03.10
OBDII bridge is flashed with latest version of dash/logger etc: AIM_Firmware_Updater_130611

I can see SMC from RC2 when powered via 12V source from car.

Tried two configurations. Neither works. In both cases, selected Smarty configuration option in RC2 menu to map channels and transmitted that to bridge in addition to ECU model choices.

** Suggested by seller: Configured as ECU=Bosche model Porsche(996). Transmit to SMC bridge. Map channels and transmit to bridge. Smarty isn't seeing RPM's when I look at the LCD dash menu. It seems to know that something is connected because the record strategy is grayed out and nothing can selected. Trying to record by pressing Smarty menu button gives an error saying that I need to update to a later firmware (its as up to date as I can make it). I think the Smarty is confused by what is connected.

** Tried alternate configuration per one of the AIM docs: Selected generic OBDII & ISO 9141_2. Transmit to SMC along with Smarty channel mapping.That does nothing at all for me. Still not RPM's on Smarty Dash menu and the record strategy is like bare camera and offers low/med/high G to start (but no RPM threshold as an option). So it doesn't appear that the Smarty is seeing anything.

I'm stumped. I re-flashed the bridge and the firmware just to be sure and the updater sees it and says that its up to date and nothing needs to be done. Its up to do. Silly that RC2 doesn't tell me what the bridge is seeing.

This is supposed to be plug and play. But its apparently not for me

Yes bridge is powered. Yes the bridge is plugged into the 996/GT3 OBDII port. GT3 is a 2005 so its not the very old original model.

Any suggestions are most welcome. We are off to the track Tuesday for a 5 day track orgy and I'd really like to get this working for her.

Quick Reply: AiM Solo DL Protocol list