Old 02-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Towing with a Cayenne

Ok,the Yukon is sold. Now I will be towing with:
2006 Cayenne 70 K miles, ****,no air suspension
What do I need in the way of hardware to tow a enclosed 20" V nose and a 944S2?
What hitch?
Weight distribution system?
Back up Camera?
Mirror extensions?
What else?
Thank you.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gregg,
My Cayenne S tows my open trailer like a champ. Lots of power and torque and huge brakes. But I'm not sure how it would handle an enclosed. It might not be an issue.

However there definitely are issues with brake controllers and trailer LED lights. Search for a thread I started in the Cayenne forum where I summarize these issues and their solutions.
Jack
Old 02-11-2012, 10:13 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Electric brake controller and Porsche trailer hitch set up (which provides a computer to ensure everything communicates), mirror extensions and you should be good to go. If your dealer tells you that the Porsche system has a built in brake controller take your Cayenne elsewhere for install. The EBC is easy to install if you know what you are doing and impossible if you do not. Do some research here if you are going to do it yourself. PM me if you need some advice and I will talk you through it. I usually tow an open trailer with mine I have also done long hauls with an enclosed and it works fine. Ignore all those who will immediate jump on and tell you that the Cayenne cannot do the job and that you should go out and buy a semi-trailer - they have no idea.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:53 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I tow a trailex enclosed... widebody 993, 2 extra wheel-sets, 4 fuel jugs, tools, spares, etc without issue. Total load (trailer and cargo in car) is close to 6,000 lbs. I've been towing for three seasons, have 78k on the odometer, and have yet to have a single mechanical issue save for a few cornering lights. Tows great... visibility sucks (backup camera is a good idea that I haven't gotten around to yet). Just make sure you respect the tongue weight (especially with the v-nose ) and balance the trailer properly with scales.

I lent a friend of mine my trailer and he towed it down to Sebring behind his brand new Cayenne S. He usually tows a 28' enclosed with a Ford 350... but wasn't too excited about 40+ hours in the F350. He was amazed at how well the cayenne towed, and found drive down to Florida infinitely more enjoyable than in the F350. Granted, he bitched a little bit about not having his esspresso machine and massage chair... but overall he was pleased with the experience.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:04 AM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Haaaa......I am the friend who drove to FL with the Trailex enclosed trailer. It was indeed dreamy towing with the Pepper S. Gas mileage was not too great, even driving as smoothly as possible - about 10.5 mpg. Average speed was 75 mph, so I guess I can't bitch.

I had the dealer install a Prodigy P2 electric brake control (part #90885). I made sure the head tech did the work and told them my concerns regarding mounting location, etc. The install went off without a hitch (get it?) and works beautifully.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OT: Nah, real men drive EPA snuffed, 9.7mpg diesel Duramaxes.

After having driven these trucks for years and years, I am now reconsidering the diesel...the numbers no longer work...even on the farm with the tax break we get.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

I think there is a problem adding a brake controller to 2006 Cayenne's. I'm not sure if you can for that year. I remember coming across that when looking to add a brake controller to my 2004. I remember thinking "Thank God I did not buy that 2006 I was looking at". There maybe a fix now. Not sure.
My 2004 Cayenne S towed a 20ft enclosed trailer fine.
Porsche does recommend AGAINST using any weight distribution system.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
Ok,the Yukon is sold. Now I will be towing with:
2006 Cayenne 70 K miles, ****,no air suspension
What do I need in the way of hardware to tow a enclosed 20" V nose and a 944S2?
What hitch?
Weight distribution system?
Back up Camera?
Mirror extensions?
What else?
Thank you.
I would suggest an electric brake controller from Prodigy, great unit and simple to install & use. I'm not sure if you need a weight distribution hitch ... I had one on my 24' flat nose and it was not great from a handling pov. Whereas, my 26' v-nose handles like a dream w/o any weight distribution system. One other product I would highly recommend is a wireless tire pressure monitoring system. After blowing countless tires over the past 20 years, I finally purchased a system from http://www.tsttruck.com/ and I could not be happier. As a matter of fact, I hooked up the trailer last month for Winterfest and the system generated an alert that my passenger/front trailer tire pressure was at 16 psi ... No problem, stopped at the tire shop and had the repair done without any drama. Driving down the road, tire pressure and temps are displayed on a small unit in the cab. I have wireless sensors on the truck and trailer.

Regards, Dave
Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Every aspect of towing with a Cayenne has been discussed, ad , in the P!g Pen ...aka the Cayenne forum.

I would suggest posting/searching in there.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you,after 6000+ posts it never occured to me to do a search!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
Thank you,after 6000+ posts it never occured to me to do a search!
In the P!g Pen, you might be confronted with STFF if you fail to do a search...you'll figure out what it means pretty quickly.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i've logged many miles towing with one of my client's 2009 Cayenne GTS. its a 6 sp manual, its been chipped and has an exhaust. its equipped with the air suspension, and the factory receiver. the brake controller never worked properly; the factory brakes are so huge that it still stops (I think the GTS has Turbo brakes on it). we've had trouble with the lights, too.

other than that, the GTS has been flawless; total miles are about 60k; original clutch. original everything, except for tires and brakepads. of that about 20k are towing. trailer is a 16' steel open trailer, towing a Mitsu EVO and 8 extra wheels/tires, tools, etc etc. total weight is about 6500 lbs. tows like a dream; i've driven it everywhere, from Watkins Glen, to VIR, to Autobahn, to Sebring. easily tows at 80 mph, in 6th gear up and down rolling hills. acceleration is insanely good. braking is good, even without trailer brakes (would be incredible with the trailer brakes working). gas mileage is about 8-9 mpg. its got a load leveling setup too. I love towing with it. the only thing i'd be concerned with is that an enclosed might get blown around in the wind a bit, and the wheelbase isnt as long as my 2500HD, so it might sway a bit with the enclosed.

Todd
ReidSpeed

PS it is the most luxurious tow vehicle I could ever imagine driving. makes my 2500HD seem like a dumptruck
Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

If you want to avoid fiddling around with brake controller issues, you may want to look into the wireless unit offered by Tekonsha called Prodigy RF.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

I'm telling you all, the Tekonsha Primus (with the $20 VW harness), was an easy install even for me (which is saying a lot). And it works great.

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...a/TK90160.html
Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jack,I will order it. Do I neeed to change the tranny fluid? 70 K on it.

Quick Reply: Towing with a Cayenne