Sponsored by:

How much wheel lifiting is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:35 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Exactly. And that's the way it is at this track...
All I know is the OP said:

"...I'm lifiting my inside wheel in lots of corners."

Please note that I said:

"Sometimes, to get the chassis balance you want, the RCD [Roll Couple Distribution] will be imbalanced enough to cause one end of the car to lift a tire off the ground in hard cornering."

If this issue is really specific to this track then of course you leave it alone. If it happens everywhere, it's a problem worth addressing.

Scott
Old 02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the solution is to just pit and drop off the passenger.

Cool action pics, though. Back in the day, when I used to Auto-X a front driver, lifting the rear was a kick.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's the alignment? I bet you are running a bunch of toe in in the back, based on the video...my guess is zero or toe out in front, toe in in back
Old 02-11-2012, 11:58 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 944CS
what's the alignment? I bet you are running a bunch of toe in in the back, based on the video...my guess is zero or toe out in front, toe in in back
Zero toe in the front. Almost none in the back (0.13 degrees).

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
OK how about a pic without the ballast on the right side
Same basic issue without a passenger.

-td
Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

A fast red 996 gt3 with a big cup wing and i think hoosiers at 48 hours of Sebring was 8 inch or more in the air with his right front wheel T10 and 13..

He overdrive the car but it was fun watching and he was faster then me in most corners
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

great thread!!!!

Recently I have discovered a similar problem in my 928, but in my case the excessive body roll is causing the LSD to slip.....hopefully a stiffer front bar will fix my issue

However one example of 4 tires is better than 2-3 I have is this (when I was running normal R comps, not the slicks I have now)

I was chasing a friend in his 06 Z06 at Thunderhill....right at the apex of T3 (off camber right) a Honda blew its engine and oiled the track....I hit the oil with my inside tires, and the car instantly started understeering to the outside....at the last second it grabbed, but I drove off anyway....
Old 02-12-2012, 08:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
If it happens everywhere, it's a problem worth addressing.

Scott
Tell the factory that, Scott.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthr...=354704&page=2

Post #28, 15th pic down.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
TD, based on the video (alone), I'd say leave the car alone & smooth out the driving
+1 to that. OP, are you hands always that active?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Why do you have to be such an ***?

The problem may not be addressable within the rules for the class. If the only real solution is adding more grip at the rear (outside of roll couple distribution adjustment), so you can soften the front, and you can't do that, you live with what you got.

The class my car is built for has a spec tire setup. So, if I adjust my car's setup so I get the chassis balance I want, I pretty much have to deal with the roll couple distribution I end up with. If that has a front tire hanging in the air sometimes, I have to live with it.

Scott
Old 02-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lolaman

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthr...=354704&page=2

Post #28, 15th pic down.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, a picture of a car lifting a wheel in one photo at Sebring means it's doing it all around the track? And since it's a factory car it must be a good thing? Not to mention it's Sebring, not exactly a smooth track.

All that Scott is saying is that theoretically 4 tires on the ground is best, but that's not always possible for a number of reasons.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 AM
944CS
Drifting

Originally Posted by himself
Zero toe in the front. Almost none in the back (0.13 degrees).

Same basic issue without a passenger.

-td
It looks in the video like you have to fight to get the car to rotate....do you have the front bar full stiff, rear bar full soft?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
+1 to that. OP, are you hands always that active?
Only in the corners. But yeah, mostly. Can't shake it. (heh, a pun!) Working on it. I don't think it really matters, it's only upsetting the chassis and reducing overall lateral Gs. No biggie to overall lap times. (j/k of course). Seriously, it's annoying as all-get-out. I'm sure smoothing out would help overall lap times. It's on the list.

Originally Posted by 944CS
It looks in the video like you have to fight to get the car to rotate....do you have the front bar full stiff, rear bar full soft?
IMO, the car turns-in fine. It doesn't feel like there is any fighting to get it to turn. Is there a particular part of the video that suggests an understeering/difficult car? As for setup, car is set to almost full soft in rear, and almost stiff in front. I think one off on both ends, so there is defintitely room to soften the front if necessary.

edit: I think GT3s need a little more agressive entry "suggestion" to get the car turned and set for power. And there is some hand chatter through the corner (not so much on entry like me), and I'm surely overexaggerating it anyway. I'm a work in progress for sure. I may be a complete goober, but I try to emulate this:

[ERVTX's video, not mine]

-td

Last edited by himself; 02-13-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

I didn't read all the pages, so sorry if this has been suggested already ... but one way to eliminate the wheel lifing would be to add wider (or stickier) rubber at the rear. This would allow you to stiffen the rear sway or soften the front sway without upsetting the car's balance. Of course, more or stickier rubber may or may not be an option depending on what fits and tire compound availability.

Scott T.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Only in the corners. But yeah, mostly. Can't shake it. (heh, a pun!) Working on it. I don't think it really matters, it's only upsetting the chassis and reducing overall lateral Gs. No biggie to overall lap times. (j/k of course). Seriously, it's annoying as all-get-out. I'm sure smoothing out would help overall lap times. It's on the list.

-td
FYI, this is where getting someone to spend a day in your right seat will really pay benefits.......
Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

How long are the new stiffer springs?

When I changed mine I had to modify the collars. I gained about 15mm of droop.
Before that, it was lifting a wheel when running over a coin.

Quick Reply: How much wheel lifiting is too much?