Just got back from Longhorn's TWS DE

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Agreed. (I also use the TomTom mount, but hadn't heard about the tweak -- thanks for the information).

I had my mount and iPhone there this weekend, but didn't even take them out of the bag so I'll spare this thread my embarrassingly gradual attempts to learn TWS!

By the way, I had an awesome time with LSR -- special thanks to David for introducing me to Spec 996 AND sending me home with a cool souvenir! I'll be back, and I'll bring y'all down some maple syrup.
Glad you made it down. I looked for you but couldn't find you. I hope you had a great time!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Glad you made it down. I looked for you but couldn't find you. I hope you had a great time!
I did! Sorry I missed you, but I'll definitely be back.

LSR puts on a great event and I really enjoyed it.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the info on the iphone. i have a vid system in my car but it is constantly giving me issues so im looking for a cheap alternative. - this may be it.

it will aslo be perfect for the Targa since Im already hanging my phone on the screen anyway.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:40 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jittsl
Hey thanks for the info on the iphone. i have a vid system in my car but it is constantly giving me issues so im looking for a cheap alternative. - this may be it.

it will aslo be perfect for the Targa since Im already hanging my phone on the screen anyway.
You're welcome. You should be aware that Harry's default setting is that it records video every other lap and then creates separate one lap videos. You have data for every lap. You can set it to record an entire session, but then you can have a problem with running out of room. The data overlap requires the creation of a separate and much bigger video file on the phone. I usually sync my phone without music prior to going to the track in order to have room. I also do the data overlays and move the videos off to a computer at the end of each day.

It is also a bit buggy and will crash while doing the overlays which is annoying, but has not caused a loss thus far.

Harry's is far from perfect, but it is very good value.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Doug007
Racer

I didn't think you could record a whole session yet. Harry says it's coming in v15. Current is v14.4.2

http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/vie....php?f=10&t=84
Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doug007
I didn't think you could record a whole session yet. Harry says it's coming in v15. Current is v14.4.2

http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/vie....php?f=10&t=84
You're right. Thanks for the correction.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Doug007
Racer

After reading more about the issue I found that you CAN take a video of the session through the photo app but if you run out of memory you will lose the entire session. Some folks do this and manually start the video and then switch over to Harry's to start the data collection. Might have to move my mount so I can try it while strapped in at the grid.

Looking forward to v15!

Was a fun weekend at TWS! Can't wait for three days of driving on the club race weekend.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 PM
jittsl
Racer

Houston, I may have a problem. When I bought my iPhone all those years ago I bought the cheapest ('cause I'm cheap) and it's only 8gig. I literally cannot go close to fitting my music on (I had to make a special "traveling" playlist). The phone is absolutely chocked full and even if I take off the music I think it only frees 1gig. May have to lash out and buy a 4S.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:22 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

What are you guys using to mount your i-phone securely in your car?

thx,

Mike
Old 02-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Rene
Racer

Jitts take a look at the race optics Evo HD its 1080p & its under 400 bucks & i am able to turn it on on the grid with my gloves on works great!

http://www.raceoptics.com/evohd7.php

Here is a sample from TWS last April.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
What are you guys using to mount your i-phone securely in your car?

thx,

Mike
I use a simple suction mount that has a vise grip attachment that holds the iPhone with two long rubberized plates. I bought each as a separate item at a camera store, and combined the two to fashion a mount for any kind of phone.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

By request, here are a couple of videos featuring Longhorn911 in his yellow boxter...

This 2nd one also shows Steve W. slowing down after T1 to give his green student a chance to breathe...

(still rendering as I post this, so give it some time).

Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Edwin
Rennlist Member

Hey Laurie.....great to meet you last weekend. Sorry I couldn't fit in your car to take a ride with you but I'm vertically challenged (the other way) in some cars. Globe said that you picked up the track very quickly. See you at the club race.

There is a Spec Boxster forum on Facebook that is worth checking out. I think most of the Texas SPB racers are in it.....cheers.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 PM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Q: How do you keep up with #28?
A: Make sure he has traffic in front of him.

Yup # 28 is a crazy F**ker

-
Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 824 Posts

the MOUTH on you....

Quick Reply: Just got back from Longhorn's TWS DE