Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got back from Longhorn's TWS DE

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Doug007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We really lucked out on the weather. There was really only one wet session the whole weekend (first on Saturday).

I was lucky enough to get a ride with VR in his E36. Fun stuff! Thanks again Dave!

On Harry's, the videos are short because they generally start a few seconds after start/finish. You'll notice you are a good ways past the line at the beginning. I think Harry's is decent for a rough performance appraisal but not useful for truly accurate lap times. A basic traqmate or aim solo will do the trick if that is what you're looking for.

For integration of GPS, accelerometer, and video, Harry's can't be beat for $16! But it is not to be confused with a $400-$1000+ GPS/accelerometer system
Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Despite a few new dents in my roof from the hail Friday night (being pulled as I type this!), I too had an amazing weekend. Everyone I met was super friendly and helpful. I look forward to coming back next time to hone my (currently absent) skills further!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ervtx
Yep, I have a Performance Box that has gathered dust since I discovered Harry's, and I'm concluding that Harry's is not nearly as reliable or accurate for data acquisition.

Just to clarify, my issue is the data lag. Just watch the T2 to T3 sequence. HLTP's speedometer indicates that I am decelerating from the T2 apex to T2 track-out, and accelerating in the T3 braking zone. Tire sizes, OEM speedometers, and GPS issues aside, that is just plain WRONG!

Edit:

The problem is not just the HLTP overlay speedometer. The actual data log indicates a lag as well. See the snapshot below which shows increasing speed in one of the hardest braking zones in the CCW configuration.
The data is coming from your GPS data and is simply screwed up due to poor refresh rates. If you tell me how you created the screen shot, I will post the same segment with data from the separate faster (5Hz) GPS.

I figured it out. The grey line is my 996 and the red reference fast lap is an instructor's 997S. It still isn't perfect. For example, I have no idea why there would be a break in my acceleration as it shows, but it is much better data. Note too the much smoother lines in the track outline. Data hits much more frequently.
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCP
The data is coming from your GPS data and is simply screwed up due to poor refresh rates. If you tell me how you created the screen shot, I will post the same segment with data from the separate faster (5Hz) GPS.
Choose the lap from the lap list.

From the "Event" Panel, click on the Track (mine says "TWS CCW"). You should see a map of the entire track.

Click on "Diagram" in the upper row of the display. You should now seek the first of several panels that illustrate Speed @ Distance, Lateral Acceleration @ Distance, etc..
In the first panel (Speed), reverse-pinch in order to zoom in. Swipe left or right in order to locate the portion of the track you want to inspect.

Zooming further in will isolate increasingly smaller sections of track.

Press the iPhone Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously in order to take a screen snapshot. The snapshot will now be in your Photo Albumn.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM
jittsl
Racer

Still wondering if I need an iphone 4 or if my 3G will provide adequate video feed?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:53 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jittsl
Still wondering if I need an iphone 4 or if my 3G will provide adequate video feed?
3G does not take video at all. My 3G did very poorly when I tried Harry's just for the data.

My daughter gave me an iPod touch and it works if you add a GPS source, like the TomTom mount. That mount GPS' is not that great, but is better than the phone's.

I have a 4S. Video is high quality. Even the sound is good. I can hear the conversation between the instructor and me everywhere except on the front straight. iPod not quite as good on sound, but very good video.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:54 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Choose the lap from the lap list.

From the "Event" Panel, click on the Track (mine says "TWS CCW"). You should see a map of the entire track.

Click on "Diagram" in the upper row of the display. You should now seek the first of several panels that illustrate Speed @ Distance, Lateral Acceleration @ Distance, etc..
In the first panel (Speed), reverse-pinch in order to zoom in. Swipe left or right in order to locate the portion of the track you want to inspect.

Zooming further in will isolate increasingly smaller sections of track.

Press the iPhone Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously in order to take a screen snapshot. The snapshot will now be in your Photo Albumn.
I figured it out prior to your post and edited mine above.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DCP
For example, I have no idea why there would be a break in my acceleration as it shows, but it is much better data. Note too the much smoother lines in the track outline. Data hits much more frequently.
Perhaps you were putting the RR wheel into the mud hole just past the T2 track-out curbing? I hit it a few times (much to my instructor's evil delight), and it did cause the wheel to slip just a bit.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Perhaps you were putting the RR wheel into the mud hole just past the T2 track-out curbing? I hit it a few times (much to my instructor's evil delight), and it did cause the wheel to slip just a bit.
Perhaps so, but I prefer to blame the hardware! The software behind the wheel has an ego.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Q: How do you keep up with #28?
A: Make sure he has traffic in front of him.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 PM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice video Russell, had my Green student out for a few laps that session, he was very quiet, I think he held his breath for 15 minutes! thought I was going to see you rotate exiting 3!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 PM
jittsl
Racer

Originally Posted by DCP
3G does not take video at all.
Sorry I must have a later 3G - maybe a 3GS. Mine does take video. I also already have the Tomtom mount and GPS software - use it as a GPS when I'm travelling in the GT3.

So I'll be really dull and ask again. Will this work with Harry's lap timer to produce vids of the quality shown above?

thanks,
Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Sorry I must have a later 3G - maybe a 3GS. Mine does take video. I also already have the Tomtom mount and GPS software - use it as a GPS when I'm travelling in the GT3.

So I'll be really dull and ask again. Will this work with Harry's lap timer to produce vids of the quality shown above?

thanks,
It should work okay and the TomTom mount is much better than the built in GPS. If I recall, it is 1Hz. The 5Hz one is much better, however. There is a problem with TomTom not permitting the Harry's developer to access all the GPS data. Look here for tweak to deal with that: http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/vie...8&p=1836#p1836. Make sure that you have the latest Apple OS on the phone.

I am not sure of the quality of video on a 3GS, but I think it would be okay. The actual video on a 4 or an iPod Touch is much better than what you are seeing on the videos posted above which are compressed. You can download a full quality example I did with a 4S and the supplemental 5Hz GPS here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44394998/Lap...Best%20Lap.mov

Edit: I'm not sure that Dropbox link works. You can PM me and I will send it to you if you would like to see it.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:20 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

thanks,
As an aside, one of the best things I did was put my phone in a faster driver's similar car. One of the Harry's features is exporting a PDF with fastest straight speeds, lowest speeds in a corner, and g loads graphic on a map of the track. I can compare my results on a lap to his and see exactly where I need improvement.

I am certain that there are far better systems, but for about $130 total invested, this is pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
DCP 2nd fastest lap.pdf (44.2 KB, 123 views)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
As an aside, one of the best things I did was put my phone in a faster driver's similar car. One of the Harry's features is exporting a PDF with fastest straight speeds, lowest speeds in a corner, and g loads graphic on a map of the track. I can compare my results on a lap to his and see exactly where I need improvement.

I am certain that there are far better systems, but for about $130 total invested, this is pretty good.
Agreed. (I also use the TomTom mount, but hadn't heard about the tweak -- thanks for the information).

I had my mount and iPhone there this weekend, but didn't even take them out of the bag so I'll spare this thread my embarrassingly gradual attempts to learn TWS!

By the way, I had an awesome time with LSR -- special thanks to David for introducing me to Spec 996 AND sending me home with a cool souvenir! I'll be back, and I'll bring y'all down some maple syrup.

Quick Reply: Just got back from Longhorn's TWS DE