Sponsored by:

Magnus Racing Rolex 24 Report

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Andy Lally IS the best Porsche driver. His will to win is unstoppable, plus he is the best closer in racing!!
Originally Posted by Lolaman
Plus he was the anchor and some of the motivation to help John's effort beat "the Armada..."
As stated on the other thread there was a RACE going on during Andy's and Leh's stints that Speed simply did not cover... They traded leads several times during that segment while Speed focused solely on the DP class or went to commercial. That was the GT race right there.

Pretty cool that directly afterward Leh (talking about that stint and the 50th overall) said that (paraphrasing here) '.. in other years, we'd have been in front by five laps..'

In Andy's interview directly afterward he said (again paraphrasing) 'he had not not been the driver of the closing leg in a long time..'

Seems like the plan was to have Andy check Leh to avoid that very scenario.

There was some really good racing then that we all missed unfortunately..
Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
There was some really good racing then that we all missed unfortunately..
There was a lot of that race that I felt we missed, but what do you do? Networks would have been even worse than Speed.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations to the entire Magnus team.

In celebrating the victory, let's not forget the role of Craig Stanton in developing of the team, and John Potter, over the last few years.

Yes, Andy brings considerable skill, but success such as this does happen over night. The entire team worked for years to get this point.

Cheers,
Old 01-30-2012, 01:14 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job...Congrats!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,065 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil

In celebrating the victory, let's not forget the role of Craig Stanton in developing the team and John Potter over the last few years.
+1! Absolutely appropriate and true!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Also a lot of key crew members from TRG came over with Andy
Old 01-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil

In celebrating the victory, let's not forget the role of Craig Stanton in developing of the team, and John Potter, over the last few years.

Yes, Andy brings considerable skill, but success such as this does happen over night. The entire team worked for years to get this point.

Cheers,
Absolutely.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Check out the "crew" descriptions on their website. Hilarious.

http://www.magnusracing.com/crew/
Old 01-30-2012, 02:29 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget that a factory driver finished the race for each of the top 3 finishers. Andy made a comment about it feeling strange not being the closer. I thought the same thing when they announced that Andy was getting out of the car for the last driver change. But I'm sure Porsche gave those teams with factory drivers the "Special ECU Flash".
This takes nothing away from the crews of all the top finishing teams. Little screw up loose races. They had none.

I am thrilled that a small team won both classes.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:54 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Congrats on the win!

I became a big Andy Lally fan a few years ago when I caught this reality TV show that followed TRG for a season (TRG was running the Pontiac GTO on the show.) Thought he just seemed like a cool personable guy who was also fast.

Fast forward to the ALMS round at Road America this past summer (2011.) My wife bought me a Flying Lizards cell phone case secretly as a birthday present, and was looking to get it autographed. Turns out a friend of ours is also acquaintances with Andy, and introduced him to my wife. Andy offered to give my wife an autograph - all she had on her was the cell phone case she'd just bought me. Andy was such a trooper - despite it being a competitor's piece of swag, he happily took it, found a pen, and signed it!

What's really funny? When my wife finally gave me the case (for my birthday) a few weeks later, she couldn't remember who signed it, other than, "He was such a nice guy - he even went and found a pen to sign it for me!" Then yesterday, while watching the 24, they showed an interview with Andy and I commented to my wife that I was a big Andy Lally fan. She said, "Gosh... that guy looks really familiar..." and then the lightbulb went off and she blurted out, "THAT'S the guy that signed your phone case!!!"

Considering it was a Lizard's case, I never would have guessed. I honestly thought it was one of the Lizard B-team guys (since she said it definitely wasn't Patrick or Jorg that signed it.)

So, if possible, Magnus Racing - it'd be cool if you relayed that story to him and gave him a personal thanks for me! Really, really appreciate it! I'm guessing he'll remember it since I doubt he autographs very many Flying Lizard phone cases
Old 01-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Don't forget that a factory driver finished the race for each of the top 3 finishers. Andy made a comment about it feeling strange not being the closer. I thought the same thing when they announced that Andy was getting out of the car for the last driver change. But I'm sure Porsche gave those teams with factory drivers the "Special ECU Flash".
This takes nothing away from the crews of all the top finishing teams. Little screw up loose races. They had none.

I am thrilled that a small team won both classes.
So I guess the Lizards with TWO factory drivers didn't get that special ECU flash?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
So I guess the Lizards with TWO factory drivers didn't get that special ECU flash?
FL had other factors holding them back

Huge congrats to Magnus though! Fun to watch.

Looked like the team was having a good time.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Magnus looked really strong all weekend. Great race!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:37 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Congratulations! The GT field was a monster!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats! The Rolex Wars poster and website antics cracked me up - nice to see some teams out there having fun!

Quick Reply: Magnus Racing Rolex 24 Report