Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Solo - anyone having problems upgrading software?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,201 Likes on 1,848 Posts

This means there is nothing wrong with the ECU output. I don't believe the AiM Solo DL sends any kind of electronic "receipt confirmation" to the source of the CAN data, so it appears you've touched wires in a way to upset the vehicle ECU to instrument cluster electronics. I'd substitute another cluster and see if it comes alive.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-27-2012, 11:42 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Have you removed all wires from Solo unit which you added before? does gauge cluster work with no solo wires in the system? Done; no, even after trying to clear the 'can timeout' and 'insturment cluster comms with can bus' erros with the durametric software.

ECU is working fine (it think it is like I said, but it could be working 50%, no?) you have issue with receiver from CAN bus in your instrument cluster CU. it is either fried CU in the instrument cluster (10% probability) or damaged wires/connector somewhere (90% probability - very low prob of damaged wires as I was super careful, no pulling , twisting etc.., v careful with solder)). it is just not easy to fry that CU but who knows. remove all wires you added and try car out without them.
going in tomorrow am to try reprog the car with v30 of the P Centre diagnostics; is the Instrument Cluster CU easy to replace?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
going in tomorrow am to try reprog the car with v30 of the P Centre diagnostics; is the Instrument Cluster CU easy to replace?
if you have good tech at your shop you may ask him to drop an alternative CAN cable directly to cluster CU inputs first.

i am not 100% sure but instrument cluster replacement may be tricky and also require immobilizer replacement. but i am not sure how it is done in 996 cars and to what degree those systems are linked to each other.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Right Pete thanks - I think I've got a better idea now from both your input, thanks. Will report back tomorrow.

Quick Reply: AIM Solo - anyone having problems upgrading software?