Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Solo - anyone having problems upgrading software?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:53 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Peter - phew - so reset ecu ie flash it at PC - appreciate the super quick response
Old 01-24-2012, 12:05 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Ooops echo ..

Last edited by HiWind; 01-24-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,195 Likes on 1,843 Posts

No, the fellow took it to his local service shop and had them "clear the error codes" on the Porsche. Don't think it's as involved as a reflash.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Oh ok. I did clear the error codes but this one doesn't seem to want to leave ie disconnected battery for 20 min and then cleared the codes with the diagnostics program from Porsche but neither worked.

I think the problem was that when I first connected the SOLO DL it was configured for Porsche ecu (which is right for the 997s) instead of Bosch (for the 996s ie don't select Porsche the car make, select Bosch the ecu maker) so the initial startup might have passed on something to the car's expecting it to be a 997 ie Siemens.

I suspect that now the ecu has that protocol loading up along with the correct one - but I may be way off base. Either way I'll find out early tomorrow am. I don't think anythings wrong but if the warning lights are all on I don't think ABS will work.

Will report back tomorrow - thanks again!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:13 AM
HiWind
Race Car

update: how NOT to install a SOLO DL on a 996 w Bosch ECU.

well after wiping the memory with the PCentre diagnostic machine (version 26) and then recoding the key, remote, clearing all error codes, trying to replace the mapping (computer says no; not necesasary and so won't do it) was hoping to see my instrument cluster working again ie RPM, Speedo etc...

but alas instead I still had the Failure message as pictured above. Irony is now the only way to see how fast revs or car is going is on the 4 factor view on the SOLO DL. Going back in on Sat morning with kind senior mech to try reformat with the PC diagnostic machine (v. 30). Also leaving the battery off tonight incase that works. But otherwise it seems the SOLO DL with the wrong config ie for the 997 may have corrupted my ecu. There are further steps to take if the above doesn't work but they may require going to the dark side ie hacking. Any input would be appreciated at this juncture - thanks!

The moral of the story - note carefully that AIM config app refers to Porsche as 997 only and that for 996 (instead of putting that as a subset of Porsche as the RSR etc... is) they put that under BOSCH ie its ECU name not car type or name. But what confused me is that the 997 ecu is called Porche although it made by Siemans. A tad confusing and now painful to say the least.

ps - thinking like a more experienced member of the mod-happy 996gt3 forum, is this perhaps just a blessing/opporuntiy to mod in disguise?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, I saw your PM...

If you think you bricked your DME, it needs to be sent in to be flashed on a bench. You can try a reflash, and if that doesn't work, then likely it is bricked.

These guys reflashed mine after I bricked a DME with Softronic. The DME works fine to this day.

http://www.protomotive.com

Aside from that, haven't been there yet with PCentre, AIM, or SOLO DL, so can't help there.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:42 AM
HiWind
Race Car

thanks for coming back to me Logray. I've seen the term used on the Forum but please forigve my ignorance - is it a technical term or just a polite reference to the delicate silicon chip being crunched on a granite floor with ...as you say ... a brick?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

have you soldered wires to can wires or tapped?

options here are limited - your CAN bus is obviously alive, as SOLO DL gets data.

so, you either have no power on instrument cluster, OR fried 'input' circuits of its own CU (control unit).

ECU or DME is Engine Control Unit, for simplicity of things we call it as one'DME' item only - but this car has a dozen of them. ECU is just one of them.

if battery was disconnected when work on wires was done and soldering iron was grounded to a car or your wrist it should have been fine.

DME is alive obviously as it is DME that generates all information. if you have electric diagram your issue is with 'instrument cluster' - sheet 04 CU.

it has its own section in durametric. did you look at any CELs in that section? what indicator it complaints about?

also, if you disconnect Solo unit from the CAN bus butleave all wires as they are - do you still get same error? It is truly very difficult to deal with CELs without durametric, as soon as you start messing up with those cars you will need to buy it. or have a very good friend with piwis who will not charge you for looking into all this.
also, more important question is - are ALL gauges dead or does at least something work? review pin-ou of CU, attached image. if your gauges show anything that comes from CAN bus that means input curcuits are alive and you just really have issue with some gauge itself, what car is saying to you, essentially.

PS. i am not sure how technical you are but CAN bus is a serial bus like classic RS/232. as it is digital thing - it either works or does not work. if Solo DL reads from it - that means bus is alive. If even after complete removal of all soldered wires you stil have new CELs on instrument cluster module then it is cluster. i would gradually remove all added equipment. and remember - CAN bus is always alive, with ignition on or off. if you want to touch naked wires with anything - disconnect battery first, always.

If as after you remove all wires you soldered in issue will go away - choose different point to solder those wires - perhaps closer to DME - under rear seat panel, as AiM manual described. may be added on inductivity from added wires affects shape of the signal on the serial bus and instrument cluster cannot read it properly.
Attached Images  

Last edited by utkinpol; 01-25-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:36 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Smile

thanks utkinpol - I'll answer in your piece ....

Originally Posted by utkinpol
have you soldered wires to can wires or tapped? tapped and only the 2 can wires, with the SOLO's power wires not connected

options here are limited - your CAN bus is obviously alive, as SOLO DL gets data. right CAN is alive and some of the instruments too and even the speedo shift 'comes' alive' ie moves up slightly when the key is turned

so, you either have no power on instrument cluster, OR fried 'input' circuits of its own CU (control unit). I can't recall now exactly which were working but definitely the oil pressure and battery were; RPM, Speedo and petrol (i think) not.

ECU or DME is Engine Control Unit, for simplicity of things we call it as one'DME' item only - but this car has a dozen of them. ECU is just one of them.

if battery was disconnected when work on wires was done and soldering iron was grounded to a car or your wrist it should have been fine. no soldering, battery disconnected

DME is alive obviously as it is DME that generates all information. if you have electric diagram your issue is with 'instrument cluster' - sheet 04 CU.

it has its own section in durametric. did you look at any CELs in that section? what indicator it complaints about? I'll check that section tomorrow but main fault seems to be "CAN timeout" which I guess is the effect of the 997 configured SOLO dumping something into DME which is now constantly trying to find a connection and failing ie timeout (but that's a guess)

also, if you disconnect Solo unit from the CAN bus butleave all wires as they are - do you still get same error? Yes It is truly very difficult to deal with CELs without durametric, as soon as you start messing up with those cars you will need to buy it. or have a very good friend with piwis who will not charge you for looking into all this. Have access to it

also, more important question is - are ALL gauges dead or does at least something work? see comment above ie some do work, all seem to wake up on ignition ... review pin-ou of CU, attached image. if your gauges show anything that comes from CAN bus that means input curcuits are alive and you just really have issue with some gauge itself, what car is saying to you, essentially.

PS. i am not sure how technical you are but CAN bus is a serial bus like classic RS/232. as it is digital thing - it either works or does not work. if Solo DL reads from it - that means bus is alive. If even after complete removal of all soldered wires you stil have new CELs on instrument cluster module then it is cluster. i would gradually remove all added equipment ...only SOLO and 2 CAN wires connected ... and remember - CAN bus is always alive, with ignition on or off. if you want to touch naked wires with anything - disconnect battery first, always. NOTED

If as after you remove all wires you soldered in issue will go away - choose different point to solder those wires - perhaps closer to DME - under rear seat panel ....yes I have been working near 'the' ecu under parcel tray per AIM ... as AiM manual described. may be added on inductivity from added wires affects shape of the signal on the serial bus and instrument cluster cannot read it properly. ...right
thanks U - I really appreciate the effort to spell this all out! Does anything I added above help you narrow it further?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:27 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

>so, you either have no power on instrument cluster, OR fried 'input' circuits of its own CU (control unit). I can't recall now exactly which were working but definitely the oil pressure and battery were; RPM, Speedo and petrol (i think) not.

well, it is odd. gas tank level does not come from CAN, it has his own dedicated input i think. pin a24 on picture above.

still next step i would do is to remove all cables you added. when you`ll untap it - inspect those bite marks very carefully, if it feels like wire inside is broken/cut there. try it again, CEL does not matter at this point - for gauge to work it needs to be able to receive data. also if you were pulling those wires hard - inspect all connectors.

if you were clumsy you could touch instrument cluster plug and that would explain why fuel level gauge dissapeared. i do not remember if it has different breakers there in the fuse box but i assume you checked them already.

'can timeout' simply means that CAN receiver in instrument cluster CU does not hear transmitter anymore. as Solo DL listens to ECU data it means transmitter is allive and your wires are alive up to the tap point. so follow those wires post tap point, something has happened there. also, remove added wires. if you noted CAN wires are tightly wrapped around each over, it is an important issue for serial bus. as a side note - that is why i always solder as with soldering you always see wires condition and you reduce interference from additional connection.

so check all that, if gauges will start working after removal of solo wires - add them back at rear ECU location but make sure your solo has ground wire connected to car`s ground too. you should not connect signal bus with no common ground between devices.

regards, paul.

Last edited by utkinpol; 01-25-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:03 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Thanks Paul, great help thanks - I'll take that route (yes all fuses checked) - and check back in in the next day. Awesome thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bricking a DME is a term when you tried to flash (reprogram) the ECU and it fails during the programming, the chip inside is not literally "damaged", but the software code on it is "scrambled" or "incomplete". The car won't start or run unless the program is perfect. In some extreme cases the computer chips have de-soldered from the boards and re-programmed externally, on a special chip reader/writer.

You can brick (corrupt) other control units as well, if they are designed to be flashed/reprogrammed.

In general though, if the car runs and starts your DME is OK... and it sounds like you are having the issue with the instrument cluster, not the ECU/DME.

There are multiple conversations going on in this thread and from your PM to me which sparked my reply about bricking the DME... but the most recent posts seem like solid advice to sorting your problem.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:10 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Cheers logray - I'm a very green noob when it comes to electronics having really only worked on old beetles, mgs, sunbeams, alfa spider ie 0 electronics. Thanks for defining that for me and yes, I am working on utkinpols route and again it does seem to be the instrument cluster but occams razor-wise all I changed was wiring of the 2 can cables into the ecu after disconnecting the neg. terminal .... So I suspect it is ecu but of course something might have disrupted the InstruClsuter during that. I know I made the mistake of comnecting the AIM SOLO DL to the wires when it was configured for 997 not 996 so I am working on that being the root of the problem, but it may not be. I only have time sat morning with the durametric and the p.centre ecu computer running v 30 to try reprogram the ecu so until then I'm just reading - thanks again for the encouragement, Matt

Ps - I should add that the car does run well and although the check light and the abs light were on, the abs did work and some of the gauges but not the rpm, speedo. The car also stalled a few time in low rev range ie from pull off it seemed to need more juice, but idled fine - that was the only noticeable definite change there in the running of the engine. Are these useful clues?

Last edited by HiWind; 01-26-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: One other thing
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 AM
HiWind
Race Car

I should just add that I am getting RPM, brake, accelerator data thru to the SOLO DL - even though not to the instrument cluster - so that means the ECU is working right? what could have been disturbed on the InstruCluster that allows the needles to blip on ignitions but not show the data that is going to SOLO? thanks again to all electric-detectives who have helped so far ... I also spoke to ECU guys softronic but they didn't know the issue - sounds like a nice option later on though

and apologies to the original thread starter (Nick Shanny - did you come right?) for the hijack - this isn't really an AIM SOLO software problem re the update ... although I thought it maybe caused by that update or the incorrect config the update left on my SOLO.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Have you removed all wires from Solo unit which you added before? does gauge cluster work with no solo wires in the system?

ECU is working fine, you have issue with receiver from CAN bus in your instrument cluster CU. it is either fried CU in the instrument cluster (10% probability) or damaged wires/connector somewhere (90% probability). it is just not easy to fry that CU but who knows. remove all wires you added and try car out without them.

Quick Reply: AIM Solo - anyone having problems upgrading software?