Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944-Spec Race Video From this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012 | 09:37 AM
M758
Race Director

Default 944-Spec Race Video From this weekend!

My video's from this weekend.

Saturday Jan 14-2012 - Firebird Main - Fast Config - Best Lap 1:09.9 - Full Race distance
Small Bore Race 944 Spec - Started 4th in Class 5th overall. - Video from car number 94 - Red/White Two Sisters Jewelry Boutique / Gina Marie paper designs
Hightlights - Battle with Steve Marlow White #47 early part of the race before running out of fuel at just the wrong moment. Then with Rennlister Jim Richard in the PTD Spec Boxster.

http://youtu.be/NyFeNUK9s58

Sunday Jan 15-2012 - Firebird Main - Fast Config - Best Lap 1:09.9
Small Bore Race 944 Spec - Started 3th in Class 4th overall. - Video from car number 94 - Red/White Two Sisters Jewelry Boutique / Gina Marie paper designs

Highlights - Battle with Steve Marlow again this time for the entire race duration. - Thanks to Jim for allowing Steve and I to battle.
http://youtu.be/9z4dHHJMmz0

Last edited by M758; 01-17-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2012 | 11:53 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Looks like fun, Joe! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2012 | 12:21 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by genikz
Looks like fun, Joe! Thanks for sharing.
Next Race is at Chuckwalla in California Feb 3,4,5. It will be an NASA-Az hosted crossover with So-cal. Should be even more fun. Can you make it out?
Old 01-17-2012 | 12:36 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Cool video. It will be fun to see what Jim can do with that Boxster once he gets the suspension dialed in. His suspension set-up at that event leaves a LOT on the table.
Old 01-17-2012 | 12:59 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by kcpaz
Cool video. It will be fun to see what Jim can do with that Boxster once he gets the suspension dialed in. His suspension set-up at that event leaves a LOT on the table.
Kent you did a nice job on that car. Very pretty!
Old 01-17-2012 | 01:35 PM
dontnow
Pro

Nice racing. Did they fill in the water box at the start of the drag strip w/blacktop? Seems like certain areas gave you a pretty good jolt.

In the first race, did he spin when you guys rubbed?
Old 01-17-2012 | 01:53 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by dontnow
Nice racing. Did they fill in the water box at the start of the drag strip w/blacktop? Seems like certain areas gave you a pretty good jolt.

In the first race, did he spin when you guys rubbed?

No I don't believe they fill in the waterbox. However the transition to the rubbered up burnout area results in a change in grip. If you are running at the limit you need to plan for that. Else where you need to use the curbs to get a fast lap. Sometimes it is a bit rough when you do. One guy busted a shock when he went a little too far over a crub.

Steve did not spin when I wacked him. We we hit solid bumper to bumper resulting in a few scratches on each car and it will "buff out". What happened is that he ran out of fuel right at the moment I was a few inches behind him with me WOT at 5500 rpm in 3rd. That caused him to slow and I had no place to go. That is the risk you take when you run that close.
Old 01-17-2012 | 07:40 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M758
Next Race is at Chuckwalla in California Feb 3,4,5. It will be an NASA-Az hosted crossover with So-cal. Should be even more fun. Can you make it out?
I'm hoping to! I took this week off to do a head gasket (water in oil), but the machine shop is dicking me around. I was supposed to have the machined head back on Saturday, but they're still not done with it.

If I can manage to get it together in time, count me in for HPDE 3.
Old 01-17-2012 | 08:04 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Joe, thanks for posting, that was fun! Tucking in behind you guys was illuminating, I haven't run the fast config in many years...had to just grow a pair and stay off the binders through concrete canyon, and the lack of a limited slip was taking some getting used to in the tower turn. Oh well just trying to stay out of your points race... Can't wait to give it another go, but missed the class racing as well...decisions decisions... Onward to Chuckwalla!...

Darren is ON FIRE! (unlike Dave, in a good way) that small block chevy he stuffed in his car really seems to be working well...

Kent, you do a nice build my friend...hopefully you get the green monster out soon, Chuckwalla open track day would be perfect for it.

See you guys soon.
Old 01-18-2012 | 01:54 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

these were great. I loved seeing whole races as opposed to only action clips. and walls *ugh* I hate walls. That tight section takes some cahones. In the second vid, it looked like several times you were going to get around, but just couldn't. Seemed like 1 slight mistake was the difference between gaining and loosing significant position for both drivers.

thanks for sharing. I cant wait till my next race
Old 01-18-2012 | 02:24 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Gives me extra motivation to get my Spec 944 finished.

I don't know this track, but it looks like you are having major traction issues in the tight hairpin leading onto the main straight/drag strip. The white #47 and red spec Boxster that you are battling with seem to get much better traction on exit and walk you on the straight. Do you have a limited slip? You come right up on them in the tight section right before, however, looks like a lot of fun!
Old 01-18-2012 | 09:34 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by dizzyj
these were great. I loved seeing whole races as opposed to only action clips. and walls *ugh* I hate walls. That tight section takes some cahones. In the second vid, it looked like several times you were going to get around, but just couldn't. Seemed like 1 slight mistake was the difference between gaining and loosing significant position for both drivers.

thanks for sharing. I cant wait till my next race

Thanks Glad you liked it. I wish I had a better video editor, but this works fine. My native video format does not allow me to use most standard editors.

Yeah those walls take some getting used to, but I have been driving this track on and off for 10 years so they are just sort of ho-hum. Must be respected, but not feared. The "Tight section" was actual the the faster bit they added back in for this event. Used to run the track this way years ago and moved to a tighter bit that created a straight shot in "concrete canyon". That is area under bridge with two walls on each side. That really interupts the flow and we used to have to slow down alot. Now I just take both the left and right at the top of 3rd gear nearly flat to the floor. The left is easy flat, but the right take a lift to make sure the nose bites. The last left/right before the hard brake zone is flat in 4th.

I was faster than white car in both races in twisty bits. I do not have quite the power from my motor to keep up on the long straight however. (should have put in fresh rings when rebuilt, but did not. Oh well) Therefore I could never really try a super late brake into the final turn. If I did I would be slow down the main straight and get passed easily. What I was working on was trying to force him to make enough of a mistake defending so that he got bad run down the straight and I got a good run. If that happend I might be able to be in spot to challenge under braking for turn 1.

That happend once, but I got picked by the red Rx-7 in turn 1. I might have been able to out brake him even on the outside for turn 1 and hold there till the right harder in the canyon. I did that on lap 1 with another car, but you just can't see it in the video. Anyway that RX-7 was on the outside when we got to turn 1 and really did not want to try go 3 wide trail braking through there. Seemed like bad idea. In any event some really good racing and alot more fun to finish 3rd in fight like that than to finish 1st just lapping.
Old 01-18-2012 | 09:40 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Droops83
Very cool, thanks for sharing. Gives me extra motivation to get my Spec 944 finished.

I don't know this track, but it looks like you are having major traction issues in the tight hairpin leading onto the main straight/drag strip. The white #47 and red spec Boxster that you are battling with seem to get much better traction on exit and walk you on the straight. Do you have a limited slip? You come right up on them in the tight section right before, however, looks like a lot of fun!
No specific traction issues, but the drag strip surface changes do influnce things alot. At the start of the race my car was neutral, but near the end my front tires were starting to give up a little and I was getting understeer on power on exit. That cost me a bit, but really only in the final 3-4 laps on Sunday. Saturday I was not taking the best line through there and make some adjustments. I do have a limited slip and had zero wheelspin issues. I had run this track with an open diff and used to get lots of wheelspin there so I had manage that alot. Now it is just simple over/understeer situations to deal with. I think the chassis was solid, but not perfect for that track. Probalby could have used a few more tweaks and a more consistant line as well.
Old 01-18-2012 | 05:30 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by J richard
Kent, you do a nice build my friend...hopefully you get the green monster out soon, Chuckwalla open track day would be perfect for it.
That's the plan

Quick Reply: 944-Spec Race Video From this weekend!