Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Kubica setback

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96958

Robert Kubica has injured his leg in a fall near his home, with sources close to the Polish driver suggesting that he has reopened a fracture that he sustained in his rally accident last year.

It is understood that Kubica fell over on ice in Pietrasanta, where he lives, and subsequently complained of pain in the right leg which was broken in his crash. He was driven to the local hospital for checks.

Although there has been no official statement, it is understood that it has been found that Kubica has reopened the fracture in his right tibia.

Kubica's latest injury setback comes on the same day that Ferrari played down talk that it was planning to test the Polish driver later this year once he was fully recovered.

Sources suggested that the injury is likely to delay his recovery by at least three weeks.

"That was not on our plan," said Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali at the annual Wrooom media event.

"For sure Robert Kubica is a great driver that had a very severe injuries and at the moment he is still working very hard to try to go back to his normal living.

"So before any kind of thinking or discussion of whatever could be, we need to wait and see. For sure that kind of injury is taking a long time to recover so I can say we will wait and see if he is going to recover, but at the moment there is nothing in place."
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a shame. He seems a good bloke.

I said it when he crashed, and I will repeat it again now. Robert Kubica will never again turn a wheel in a Formula 1 car again. An HRT or a Marussia? Maybe, but they aren't Formula 1 cars...
Old 01-11-2012, 08:17 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps it gods way of saying hey.. you lived through Montreal and this Rallye thing.. third time won't be a charm.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sux... He really seem to be a nice guy with some true talent... I hope he finds his way back into an F1... But I think the more he misses the lessor his chances are.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Turb-Oh Brad - I agree, he will never drive again in F1 which is too bad - You don't almost have your hand severed off and recover to a world class level. You can still have a wonderful and fulfilling life which I hope he does. He is fortunate to have lived through the rally crash in the first place, lucky to be alive.

Last edited by 74goldtarga; 01-11-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,475 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Perhaps it gods way of saying hey.. you lived through Montreal and this Rallye thing.. third time won't be a charm.
I couldn't agree more. It's sad to say that we will never see him in an F1 car again and perhaps what might have been if he had the right car, but things happen for a reason and he's already cheated death twice. Go off and live a happy life.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I said it when he crashed, and I will repeat it again now. Robert Kubica will never again turn a wheel in a Formula 1 car again. (sic)
I'm an Orthopedic Surgeon, and unfortunately I agree 100% with your assessment.
Too bad, as we never saw his real potential in a top-tier car.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:52 AM
JHowell37
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He's finished.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
What a shame. He seems a good bloke.

I said it when he crashed, and I will repeat it again now. Robert Kubica will never again turn a wheel in a Formula 1 car again. An HRT or a Marussia? Maybe, but they aren't Formula 1 cars...
I am afraid you are right. If a young guy who should be quite healthy falls on ice and breaks his leg to me it is sign of problems. I fear that leg will never heal right and while he may be able to get about his daily life they leg may be a constant weak point.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:08 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I am afraid you are right. If a young guy who should be quite healthy falls on ice and breaks his leg to me it is sign of problems. I fear that leg will never heal right and while he may be able to get about his daily life they leg may be a constant weak point.
Have to join the consensus--I recall watching Nannini years ago trying to come back after almost losing his arm.....how he drove ANYTHING at speed I'll never know, much less an F1 car.

Gary
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Dr. Alonso disagrees (though to be fair the Telegraph seems to doing a little headline inflation):

Ferrari's Fernando Alonso backs Robert Kubica return after Pole suffers setback on ice
Fernando Alonso has backed Robert Kubica to return from his latest setback, describing the Pole as the best driver in Formula One.

Tom Cary, F1 Correspondent, Madonna di Campiglio
12:35PM GMT 12 Jan 2012

Kubica, who almost killed himself in a rally accident at the start of last year and has been recovering ever since, slipped and fell on ice near his home in Pietrasanta in Italy on Wednesday. It is believed he has reopened a fracture in his right tibia and may have to spend a month in plaster.

There has been plenty of speculation that Ferrari might test Kubica, who is out of contract at former team Renault (now Lotus), or give him some time in their simulator, though Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali was quick to play down those rumours at the team’s pre-season media gathering on Wednesday.

"That was not on our plan," Domenicali said. "For sure Robert Kubica is a great driver that had a very severe injuries and at the moment he is still working very hard to try to go back to his normal living.

"So before any kind of thinking or discussion of whatever could be, we need to wait and see.

“For sure that kind of injury is taking a long time to recover so I can say we will wait and see if he is going to recover, but at the moment there is nothing in place."

Two-time world champion Alonso said on Thursday morning that he had spoken to Kubica in the wake of his fall and wished him well for his recovery.

“For me the best driver is Robert Kubica,” he said. “I spoke with him yesterday after his accident. When he returns, which will surely be soon, I’m sure he will continue to be the best driver.”

Asked if he would like to race alongside his good friend at Ferrari – Felipe Massa is out of contract at the end of this season – the Spaniard said diplomatically. “I’m very happy with Felipe.” .......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...ck-on-ice.html
Old 01-13-2012, 09:42 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe it is wishfull thinking on Alonso's part. Why would he or any F1 driver want to admit defeat publicly. I am sure Alonso would want to see Kubica in an F1 car even a Ferrari. Just as along as he is a bit slower than him.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Those guys heads are stronger than most can imagine... Never say never...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Kubica setback