Sponsored by:

Heel and Toe Vids

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 915 Likes on 448 Posts
Default Heel and Toe Vids

I am looking for videos showing examples of heel and toe techniques in air-cooled 911 cars. Anyone have any links?

I am still working on this and am not sure if I am prefer rolling my foot or using my heel and toe.....

Thanks,

Scott
Old 01-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

The best video I have seen on this is Going Faster! I have it if you need it. Very straightforward once you understand what you are supposed to do AND have decent ergonomics.

Even if you don't have great ergonomics, you should be able to heel and toe in anything. Just don't be in a hurry! If you have to hurry, you should get a $15k box with dogs instead of synchromesh.

In terms of 911, you just understand the technique in general and your feet and hands will work it out.

This may be one of those things where the more you think about it, the more difficult it becomes. Like trail braking. I teach trail braking by telling the student to keep the nose down at places like turn 3 at Laguna. We discuss theory, then go drive/ride. Then we de-brief in the paddock and I tell them they just accomplished trail braking.

You should work on both single and double clutching. Early on, turns 2 and 14 at Thunderhill are excellent for the latter. Turns 9 and 10 are excellent places to threshold hard, drop a gear with a single de-clutch and attack the apex with throttle.

There are also some more advanced 915 techniques you can start to work on later.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why on earth would any soul want to double clutch a modern syncro tranny?

For Scott, it dosen't matter and will change with whatever car you're in. Practice in every vehicle you're in, even the auto trans car/truck. Use whatever left part of your foot which can get to the brake pedal, and then whatever part of the right side which can get to the accel.

You're obviously not going to blip the auto, but can exercise at will.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by KaiB
Why on earth would any soul want to double clutch a modern syncro tranny?
The 915 isn't really a modern synchromesh transmission. It does benefit greatly from double clutching.....especially in a racing environment. Matching the speeds of the input and output shafts will greatly improve synchromesh life and keep temperatures down.

I need to get the basic heel and toe technique and timing down first, then I will move onto more advanced techniques.

Scott
Old 01-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Here's a shot from inside the M3 I drove last year in CTSCC. I prefer to roll my ankle than using my heel/toe. This techinque has worked for me in a lot of different cars including some older 911s (mid 80s cars) on track. Hope this video helps you a little bit.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:01 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Cool vid...I would have loved to have seen your hands at around 1:35.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:01 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by winders
The 915 isn't really a modern synchromesh transmission. It does benefit greatly from double clutching.....especially in a racing environment. Matching the speeds of the input and output shafts will greatly improve synchromesh life and keep temperatures down.

I need to get the basic heel and toe technique and timing down first, then I will move onto more advanced techniques.

Scott
Point taken and I'd do the same if necessary.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Cool vid...I would have loved to have seen your hands at around 1:35.
LOL, probably would have been less interesting than it sounds or looks. At that point in the video I was entering the corkscrew at Laguna.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

btw, heel/toe isn't double de clutching. It's just matching engine and transmission revs with one blip. The clutch is only activated once, not twice as in d-d clutching.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Here's a shot from inside the M3 I drove last year in CTSCC. I prefer to roll my ankle than using my heel/toe. This techinque has worked for me in a lot of different cars including some older 911s (mid 80s cars) on track. Hope this video helps you a little bit.
Seth,

Doesn't that video so real "heel/toe"?

Scott
Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
btw, heel/toe isn't double de clutching. It's just matching engine and transmission revs with one blip. The clutch is only activated once, not twice as in d-d clutching.
You still want to heel/toe when you put the transmission in gear to match the shaft speeds.

Scott
Old 01-11-2012, 04:41 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Did somebody raise that question?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:42 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say I've seen or heard of *anybody* actually using the toe and the heel, or even the ball and the heel. It must come from somewhere, but have never been able to actuate a floor mounted gas pedal with my heel.

My heel-toe uses the ball and that outer foot, just below the toe. I have a pretty wide foot, so I don't have to roll as dramatically as Seth's video. Mine looks like the Senna/NSX video that was on here and on Youtube, minus the loafers.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I am looking for videos showing examples of heel and toe techniques in air-cooled 911 cars...
Why on earth would any soul want to double clutch a modern syncro tranny?..
Did somebody raise that question?
You did, see above.

The original question was about heel & toe, not about double-clutching and as already said, even in modern transmissions, it's good to do it to make downshifting as smooth as possible.

Originally Posted by acao
I can't say I've seen or heard of *anybody* actually using the toe and the heel, or even the ball and the heel. It must come from somewhere, but have never been able to actuate a floor mounted gas pedal with my heel...
I use heel & toe, must come from my VW bug background as I had two which had idle issues so I had to keep the revs up with my feet and got used to using heel & toe.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:02 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

You did, see above

No I didn't...a poster before me mentioned double clutching and I merely asked why one would want to in a healthy syncro tranny.

Having learned to double clutch in the old wheat trucks and Dad's old Springer (hate to say it, but since around 1965), I'm aware of what it is.

Sorry about the hijack....

Quick Reply: Heel and Toe Vids