Low HP Track Car Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike S.
$10K (low) to $20K (high) is the range for the car. Unique situations could spread this a bit on either side. On the 944NA front which I have always kept my eye on, $20K would get me a top notch car and a used open aluminum trailer.

Mike
Want a very good car? See this one:

http://forum.44cup.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1046

Here in the East, 944Cup rules. There's no 944Spec, at least to my knowledge, there's no big fields of them.

c.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
There's a fair amount of contact in SM racing, and from time to time, some spectacular "incidents", with folks walking away.
I guess that's where the 'Spec Piñata' name comes from.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by preetham
I'm in wait for the Toyota fr-s. Hopefully I can manage a test drive as soon as one hits the showrooms.
The first Hyundai Genesis coupes are dropping into the teens price-wise. They are a solid platform (RWD, 2.0 turbo), especially if you want a car that can act as a spare street car.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Doug007
Racer

Originally Posted by mglobe
All you will get are opinions, as I doubt that a good data set exists to on this. So... here's mine. The Miata is the most raced car in the US. There's a fair amount of contact in SM racing, and from time to time, some spectacular "incidents", with folks walking away. A well-caged Miata is as safe as any other car on the race track.
+1 A good cage will nullify any crash protection advantage a street 944 has over a miata. Cage quality is paramount.

SMs are raced in 50-60 car fields every weekend and you rarely hear of someone seriously injured, even with crazy crashes.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Miata
Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Lots of great suggestions. Where you live and where you intend to drive and with whom can make a difference of course. How old are these folks and what is the level of their initial interest? Passing interest? Great enthusiasm?

This sport/hobby/what have you is way more than just the car. I would also pick an environment that is family-friendly. Some of the car clubs like PCA are generally family friendly.

I do not have any kids... so take this with a grain of salt. If I did, I'd think I would love to share DE/track driving/racing experiences with them. To me, the experiences in the paddock are as important as the ones on the track. And connections to historical perspective as well. Historical perspective in this sport/hobby/what have you seems to have been diluted in the internet age... I heard a teenager ask an adult at RR IV who Norbert Singer is...

I started in 1987 in a 944 at Lime Rock with PCA. I have driven and instructed with lots of groups since then, and have made plenty of friends. Friends and acquaintances that are involved in racing at the highest levels in the world. And that have connections way back in history.

Of course I have bias... but I would start with a Porsche if I could. A 944 or a very basic 911. I wouldn't worry about "hard to drive" or anything like that, but I'd avoid turbocharging in the beginning as boost can be a frustrating extra variable.

To me, the richness of the experience can be enhanced by all of the "people" stuff that comes along with the car. With a Porsche, you can connect the dots in racing history, and more recent racing history and history being made.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts

BTW.... there's a fun sounding 911 track car for sale in the classifieds section for $11k.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Want a very good car? See this one:

http://forum.44cup.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1046
c.
Charles...yep indeed...I memorized these a couple weeks ago! Maybe one for me and the other for my daughters to share!? Thanks. Mike
Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Early Boxster. Excellent handling.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:54 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug007
+1 A good cage will nullify any crash protection advantage a street 944 has over a miata. Cage quality is paramount.
Bingo!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:53 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe an additional thought, if you are going to run with a specific group for DE's, like PCA, having a 944 means you will have quite a few experts at the track for any tweaking or issues that might arise.

Can't count the number of time I've loaned out parts at the track for other racers that had issues.

Maybe the Miata wouldn't need as many spares though......
Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Charles...yep indeed...I memorized these a couple weeks ago! Maybe one for me and the other for my daughters to share!? Thanks. Mike
These cars are amazing. If I wasn't racing two different cars, I would have bought one of these.

And they run Koni Yellows!!! No fancy Motons or Penskes. The attention to details is impressive.

Definitely worth it.

c.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 PM
EPWilson
Advanced

Originally Posted by rlm328
Early Boxster. Excellent handling.
I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned earlier. It's another good option within your price point, although you can count me as biased since I drive one myself as a street/DE combination car.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I've found my Porsche 924S to be a great platform for learning to drive on the track. Very forgiving and predictable, so it's a lot of fun to get momentum going.

If you get a 924S or 944, I would think that you should have no problem fitting sliders under a race seat so that you can adjust the seat. I'm 6'2" and I have sliders on my seats and I have no problem fitting in the car with a helmet on
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
E30.

As a former owner of both 944s and E30s; the running costs, maintenance, and headaches are ALL less with the E30.
This is a really fun track car. However, as someone that lost a TON of track time due to mechanical issues when I owned an E30, most of which were overheating related, let me just say if you get one of these cars, replace the ENTIRE cooling system from the get go if it hasn't been done recently. Or if you just want to get a car that runs and runs and runs, think Boxster (but get an underdrive pulley to save the power steering pump)!

Quick Reply: Low HP Track Car Recommendation?