Sponsored by:

speaking of racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default speaking of racing

I too have been looking into pca racing since I now have a 944 turbo race prepped car. I've done several DE's, and I qualified solo at my first pca event. but I've also been driving in a few chumps races in a 944 and love going wheel to wheel.

I think I have enough experience to meet pca's rookie level. What I dont know is what is a race like? how long, how many cars on a track, what are the skill level and car level differences..etc.

I'm also worried that my car has so many modifications that it puts me in a class that I have no chance of being competitive with (or maybe should not even be out on the track with). its a 944 turbo with damn near every go fast bit you can think of. What class does someone with a car like mine (forged rods/pistons, aftermarket turbo, straight exhaust, upgraded suspension..etc.) compete in?

looks like there are 3 races this year in somewhat easy distance to me. can you just drive in those 3? or do you have to do the whole series?

thanks for the help
Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

racing is good and for tha majority of time clean. Best thing about PCA for me is the people and the amount of track time. when you say several DE's how many exactly. No disrespect to chump races (of which I have never competed in one) but PCA is in my mind a few steps up the ladder and often involving much more expensive machinery. Best to ask your local PCA track chair if you are ready IMHO

As for your car, with the mods mentioned it will take you out of stock/prepared classes into GT. Depends on how much work you have done to it but it will likely have to ba a lot to compete in GT. Or you may be able to reverse a couple of mods and go back to SP3. Best to post exactly what you have done and people will chime in

As for series, in 2012 there will be a championship per class which should make it interesting
Old 01-03-2012, 07:31 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

It would be helpful to know what bits and pieces you have. I am assuming you have changed the suspension, the air intake, turbo, some type of after market chips, and that you still have a 2.5 L. You may end up in GT3S, which is a good class for the 951s as you can pretty well gut them if you are running the 2.5 L and still be above minimum weight, if you are running a 2.7 or 2.8 L then the cars are going to be heavy for the 3S class. You may run into problems meeting weight if you have a lot of fiberglass pieces.

It may not be that difficult for you to return the car to more of a stock class or prepared stock. To be competitive in the GT class can get expensive if you are not doing the work yourself. The GT3S class is in the highest speed run group so be prepared for that.

Go to the PCA website and down load the handbook. It gives a pretty good decription of what and what does not qualify for a given class.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
I too have been looking into pca racing since I now have a 944 turbo race prepped car. I've done several DE's, and I qualified solo at my first pca event. but I've also been driving in a few chumps races in a 944 and love going wheel to wheel.

I think I have enough experience to meet pca's rookie level. What I dont know is what is a race like? how long, how many cars on a track, what are the skill level and car level differences..etc.

I'm also worried that my car has so many modifications that it puts me in a class that I have no chance of being competitive with (or maybe should not even be out on the track with). its a 944 turbo with damn near every go fast bit you can think of. What class does someone with a car like mine (forged rods/pistons, aftermarket turbo, straight exhaust, upgraded suspension..etc.) compete in?

looks like there are 3 races this year in somewhat easy distance to me. can you just drive in those 3? or do you have to do the whole series?

thanks for the help
My $0.02: drive to one of these race weekends as a spectator. Take it all in. Talk to as many participants & officials as you can. Ask questions. Pick up on the atmosphere & camraderie, and the rivalries. Look for folks racing cars similar to yours...
Old 01-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since all club racing events follow a similar format, think about joining NASA and attending a combined HPDE/Club Race weekend. You get to paddock with the racers and get a real sense of how a race weekend works. It really de-mystified the whole process for me. Your car could also be a candidate for the GTS series at NASA which is fairly open on mods, and classifies based on HP-TQ/WT formula. My guess is that you'll need to upgrade your aero package to compete in GTS (splitter + monster rear wing).
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And...no, you don't have to run the whole series. Four incident free races in two years will solidify your rookie license.

And...yes, you can indeed drive to them. Not very many do, but I know one successful guy who does - long distance at times!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 AM
M758
Race Director

I first started racing in my 944 (non turbo) 10 years ago. At the time PCA rules pushed me to run GT4S given that I stripped out my interior. So I was very much out classed giving up 150 hp and 500lbs in weight to the class standard.

Even so my first PCA race was a blast. In practice is really like DE with open passing. Drivers are not racing each other so we each get space and make reasonable passes. Qualifiyng is a bit different since the goal is 1 fast lap, but again avoid other cars is key. When it comes to actual racing only then are you contesting corners. If you have run chump car then you should find that PCA racing drivers will in general have alot more skill and will tend to be able to pull off passes anywhere. Since you have a fast turbo you will be in fast run group. No big deal other than to remember there will be really fast cars on track that will tend to pass you anywhere.

Read the rules carefully and understand the passing requirements and how fault will be determined in PCA. This is very diffferent from chump car and if you understand the PCA concept you will be fine.

The most important thing to do in your first PCA race is to fly under the radar. Meaning that you are just out there and standing out as rookie with mistakes. Blend in and don't try to be a hero or anything.

As for cars on track it will vary from race to race. Races at big name tracks will tend to have more run groups and lots of cars in each class. Smaller races may have fewer cars, but more in each run group if there are only two groups. Speed differentails can vary greatly as well. You will get practice sessions, qualfying sessions and a race or two each weekend. Most practices are 20-30 mintues and races are 30 minutes to 40 mintues. Anything longer is run to enduro rule and is 60 mintues to 90 mintues. Enduros are good for practice since you get alot race time at in general a slightly lower intensity level. Most times you just need to add fuel.

Level of talent can vary from ok, but slow to very fast and skilled. Unlike chumpcar though everyone will have a solid skill level, but some PCA racers will simply not know the track well and others will. You probably will be able to find some cars to run with on track.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Do it. I just finished my rookie year with PCA in a 951 and it's about the most fun I've ever had...The only problem is that it ruins DE's for you. They become really boring, at least for me.

You will probably need more experience though. My recommendation is to continue to run DE's with PCA and other org's until you are at the highest driver's class (typically just under instructor). The issue is not the ability to drive fast, that is a given. But, you need to have hyper awareness of your surroundings under all circumstances and have a highly developed sense of car control. All of this should be "automatic" and without really thinking about it.

The races are significantly more intense, especially at the start. You will be going all out while driving lines that you've never seen as you are side by side with other cars. It's then that the car control becomes incredibly important. Generally, only lots of seat time can do that for you.

My first race was terrifying. After qualifying and a "fun" race, I thought - wow, this isn't really that big of a deal. But, when the real race began the fangs came out. As a rookie, you just need to survive and prove to the other racers that you can be trusted. I got out of the car and was shaking. It was awesome and I was hooked.

As far as car goes, much is dependent on the weight reduction. By reversing some mods you might make the Prepared F class in PCA. At this point, don't worry about being competitive.

Where are you located, btw?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies. I live in austin and the first pca event near me is in march 13th. I have a chumps race the week before, not quite sure how my wife would like me racing 2 weekends in a row I'll also be at the pca de at TWS in FEB.

I know that chumpcar does not get a lot of respect here. Maybe I have just been fortunate to be in great races. I'd say the top half of the pack were very good drivers and the bottom of the back were good enough (mostly) to stay out of the way. What it has done for me is give me a lot of experience with open racing, driving non perfect lines, being side by side with other cars, and car control. I would not say that I am "fast", but I drive clean. I would certainly take less risks and be less on the edge in a race where the cars cost a few more $$ than $500

I was fortunate enough at the last lspca DE to have an instructor who races. We spent a good deal of time talking about the differences with a DE vs racing. He was showing me some different lines, how to handle corners in different situations..etc. Really was a great instructor, and seemed to really appreciate that when things were not ideal

As for being competitive, what I mean is to have some cars to run with. I have no qualms about a podium finish...ever. But I'd rather not go out to only be a rolling chicane. I just wasnt sure that the mod's my car has would put me in a category where the drivers are so experience that I would not have anyone to play with.

as for the car, It was a NASA racer that ran and won its class at VIR (according to the sickers on it). I'm learning what all is on it but it has at least:
-89 944 turbos
engine:
-forged corello rods/forged pistons (not sure which)
-balance shaft delete
-alt delete
-LR maf
-k27/8 turbo
-LR wastegate with adjustable boost
-pro-m maftuner
-3" straight exhaust
suspension:
koni yellow adjustable
tarret sway bar's (front and rear)
tarret (think) bushings

interier:
is mostly gutted
sparco evo seats/w back support
fire suppression system
engine cut off (inside and out)
window net
middle net
full cage

I still have a good big of weight in the car. for example, it still has power windows/locks, and some of the speakers are still in the car (no stereo).

I'm really not to worried about the car not being fast enough. I'm woried about having to start in a group with extremely fast cars.

how long are the races usually? I'd be operating kinda like a de. Roll up by myself with the car on a trailer. prep and go. No pit crew, etc. Are the races long enough that you need to refuel? That would be difficult for me.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

I live in Austin, too.

Who was your instructor at the last LSR event?

I am an advanced instructor for them, and usually make most of their events, happy to meet & help out if you wish next month!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

As others pointed out, I'd look into NASA racing as well as PCA. If I were you I'd also explore your local SCCA region. Most (all?) of the regions have a 'race licensing school' around this time of year that will get you your rookie license. The race licensing school is a good way to get seat time with other new racers and figure out where you're going to be on the totem pole before your first race.

Everyone progresses differently, but if you want to race and have the car already, you may as well just go out and do it! Have fun! :-)

-mike
Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

The TWS races, and most PCA and NASA races are sprints. Typically 20-30 minutes long. You don't need a crew at all except for enduros and even then, you don't need much. The TWS races in March are all sprints.

If you want to race with PCA in March, and you have not already, you will need to get signed off to race by LSR's CDI at the February DE. Registration opens tomorrow for that event. What run group did you drive with last event?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by dizzyj
Thanks for all the replies. I live in austin and the first pca event near me is in march 13th.
how long are the races usually? I'd be operating kinda like a de. Roll up by myself with the car on a trailer. prep and go. No pit crew, etc. Are the races long enough that you need to refuel? That would be difficult for me.

Thanks for the info.
Sprint races are no refueling allowed. Durations are 45 mintues or under.

Enduros can be longer and often have fueling as optional so you can get by with minimal crew. (ie none) if you can run the distance on a full tank. The stock tank on a 944 Turbo is 21 gallons.

As for crews... most racers don't have any crews and do just fine. Only the big boys have crews. In the paddock you can ask most racers for help, but if you need to wrench on the car plan to have most of your own tools and some supply of parts. If it gets really bad you might be able to hire away some other crews mechanic to help on a big job. Ask. Racing at out level is much like DE's except we race rather than just lap the track.

BTW... if the car is a NASA log book race car racing it NASA might be smart as it may already be prepped for and competitive in a specfic class.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Dizzy,
I'll be running the TWS race also, so glad to meet you there and help out where I can even if you're just doing the DE. Also, the Chumpcar race the weekend before...is that the one at Eagles Canyon? I'll be there with the debut of our ChumpCar...hopefully.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:59 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
The TWS races, and most PCA and NASA races are sprints. Typically 20-30 minutes long. You don't need a crew at all except for enduros and even then, you don't need much. The TWS races in March are all sprints.

If you want to race with PCA in March, and you have not already, you will need to get signed off to race by LSR's CDI at the February DE. Registration opens tomorrow for that event. What run group did you drive with last event?
I ran in the blue run group and was solo qualified. My instructor said I should go for yellow in Feb. In fact, due to weather they had us combine run groups last time, and I drove solo with the yellow group at the end of the day. Was the best session I had

I dont know if solo qualified is different then signed off to race. If it is, ill talk to them about it at the Feb DE. (got the reg on my ical ).

Quick Reply: speaking of racing