Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: van Overbeek and Brauns Love Porsches and Racing their Spec 911 cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Video: van Overbeek and Brauns Love Porsches and Racing their Spec 911 cars

Tom and Martin are two old friends, and successful business people, et cetera.

Tom has been at the car/racing thing for quite some time and is as enthusiastic as ever. Martin just finished his rookie season, and I think it is fair to say loves his new sport. They decided to make a little video to share with family and friends:

They really enjoy their cars, which were built by Jerry Woods Enterprises.

The video shows some Porsche Racing Club Spec 911 action from Sears Point last September. Some GT cars are shown as well.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it! Cars are cool too. To my knowledge, there's no or very few SP911 out here in the east.

I wish there was more! And I'd like to see the build pictures of those 2 cars. They seem to be top cars.

c.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 PM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

Fantastic video!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think those were the cleanest race cars I've ever seen.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:58 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Martin's was awarded the annual "Best Prepped" that weekend by one of the series sponsors. (I helped with the final decision, but was in complete agreement. Like I should have even been involved. IF I ever put my shell back together and get out there I don't think I'll have any competition for the opposite award--Worst Prepped...........)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for sharing the video Mike. I love the cars and think the PRC is just an awesome organization. You guys can count on us to continue to be involved for years to come...
Old 12-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting oil coolers. Looks like they plumbed two 964/993 oil coolers in the trunk. I'm curious how efficient they are with the exhaust of the cooler going straight into the hood.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
Interesting oil coolers. Looks like they plumbed two 964/993 oil coolers in the trunk. I'm curious how efficient they are with the exhaust of the cooler going straight into the hood.
My thoughts exactly, as air flow seems to be restricted.

Tell of the tale is in temps, I suppose...if it works, it's an elegant solution.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Beautiful cars. I really like the flush mounted windshield. Looks like an awesome class. I don't know about "affordable racing" though, except for the Toyo tires, those cars seem every bit as trick as a GT car. Very well done video.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:33 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I would love to run my '73 in that series. But they have some pretty serious mods! Looks like a lot of fun, great video.

Are the 2.7 cars generally competitive? I think my car is legal except there seems to be spec gears, is the stock '72-73 tranny gearing not legal?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd like to build one for myself too!

The only thing for me is the 964 bumper with the 911 tail. I would have chosen another period correct bumper to match the rear of the car. 911R tail lights with 964 bumper does not fit too (grey car). Still the cars are superb. Paint seems to be concour eligible.

It seems to me that this serie should grow a lot (and come to the East side)!

c.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
I'd like to build one for myself too!

The only thing for me is the 964 bumper with the 911 tail. I would have chosen another period correct bumper to match the rear of the car. 911R tail lights with 964 bumper does not fit too (grey car). Still the cars are superb. Paint seems to be concour eligible.

It seems to me that this serie should grow a lot (and come to the East side)!

c.
The bumpers on those two cars are Jerry Woods exclusives that they are going to be putting to production pretty shortly. There's other guys running just your average run of the mill Shaw or GT fiberglass replacement bumpers.

The fit and finish of these two cars shouldn't really be taken as indicative of the whole 911spec series at large. There's a huge range of vehicles in the series with respect to paint, bumpers, how far they go with the cages, etc. etc. The two cars in this video are really the cream of the crop of the cars.

There's a couple guys who run the series who still drive their 911sc spec racers to the event and drive it home at the end. Part of the beauty of the series is that you can take a car like an SC or 3.2l Carrera, strip the interior, install cage and safety equipment, do a few suspension and brake tweaks and start racing. Becuase of the gearbox and engine limits of the series it does a lot to prevent an arms race in the series and keep it affordable for the guy off the street.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Awesome cars and two great guys. Tom is really really fast and Martin is getting faster every time he goes out (we both started racing at about the same time earlier this year!).

Love racing with the PRC guys. I'll be running more events with them in 2012 in my old 996 Cup (unless it sells by then... and such a small world, I bought it from Tom!).

Fantastic video! The same guys made my little montage from Laguna/Infineon that I posted a few days ago. If you ever want/need some film production work done you should get ahold of them.

-mike
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd be interested in cost of entry, vs. "average cost" vs. "well prepped" costs in the series.

Having visited Gamroth's shop on several occasions, I'd venture to say "well prepped" is up there; not that this is not the paradigm in many series.

And yes, I'd love to see it spread through our area and then out east.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:41 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

KaiB,

To be competitive and the pointy end of the pack, you had better be prepared to spend some serious dollars. The Rothsport cars are over $100K and I am sure the Jerry Woods cars are north of $100K too.

Don't get me wrong, I think the series is great. But affordable is relative to your view of $100K and where you want to be in the pack in regards to car potential. This isn't like Spec Miata racing, that's for sure!

Scott

Quick Reply: Video: van Overbeek and Brauns Love Porsches and Racing their Spec 911 cars