Sponsored by:

has anyone tried the contour gps camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:36 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default has anyone tried the contour gps camera

I have heard good things about the contour camera, just curious is anyone has used the GPS version while on the track.

thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

I have the older HD version, so can't speak to the GPS, but the audio in the older HD version is crap. It picks up static / crackle from something in the electronics of a 993, 03 BMW X5, 10 Scirocco, and a 08 smart. It is not just wind noise, but electric interface with mic (in car and out board). I worked with Contour for months on returns and "fixes", but to no avail. Not sure if the newer models ever solved this issue.

Makes for a great helmet mount too (skiing), so good multi purpose video uses w/o sound.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strange on the audio. We have 8 of these we place in cars when doing data and this has not been a problem. (likely newer units). The GPS version is really intended to slower events. The option to sync with your Iphone and view what the camera is seeing is a good feature. The sampling rate of the GPS data is not a good enough for road racing. Marry it with a data system and it works great.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 AM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I have one and the video is pretty good. A little wash out when transitioning from shadow to light (this may be able to be eliminated depending on placement of the camera in the car) but other than that I cannot complain about the video. I have only had the camera for half of last season so I have not been able to experiment much.

The only problem I have had is the camera either not turning on when I think it has turned on or turning itself off - this could be operator error though.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 PM
wleon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default contour

I had a gps model but returned it for a Drift HD camera. The GPS version has a lot of firmware issues and never worked well with the bluetooth interface. Went with the Drift as it has a view finder, remote on/off and so far no issues.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should offer the bluetooth alone (w/o the GPS) just to get the iPhone interaction.

The camera itself is a nice, easy piece of equipment. (I have the Contour HD).

Quick Reply: has anyone tried the contour gps camera