Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racecar----- PPI's?shipping?purchasing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011 | 12:34 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Default Racecar----- PPI's?shipping?purchasing?

Is there a thread that encompasses these three aspects when purchasing far away racecars within the lower 48?

PPI'S:
Is there a list of must haves in a pre purchase inspection?
1-logbook
2-Dates:fuel cel,fire system,seat,harness
3-motor: hours, dyno sheet
4-suspension: hours, shock/type/rebuilds,
5-chassis: miles,accident history
????

Shipping:
shipping a car seems to be no problem. How do you make sure you get all the spares. Some spares take up lots of room like 3 sets of wheels or a spare fender. Some things are small like boxes of brake pads but you can fit only so many to be shipped inside the car.

Purchasing:
Many racecars are sold with "bill of sale". No title may change hands. You wire money and seller promises to be ready to recieve shipper sometimes weeks later but if the owner is a snake what recouse does one have to get money back? What can be done to not get burned?

How about people posting up ideas for this thread?
Old 12-18-2011 | 12:44 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

What's your current level of knowledge? Have you ever owned a racecar? What kind of car are you considering?
Old 12-18-2011 | 12:49 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

If the car is being serviced and was built by a known shop, have them do the PPI.

Get a leak down and expiration dates on all timed items.
The shipper will take all the spares for a small additional fee.
Intercity once confirmed with the seller that funds had been received before releasing the car to me.
Perhaps the shop (known entity) will act as mediator of the funds and shipping.
Bill of sale is common. It did not concern me, though my car has a title, but it is not current. I never transfered title/ownership to my name. The old one is in my possession.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2011 | 07:03 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I've not ever bought an existing race car, but I've built (and rebuilt) my SP996. A race car is not in my opinion a commodity. Unless it was built by a guy like Buckley, Gladwill, Watkins, Viking,... I would probably want to go eyeball the car myself at a minimum, and really I'd prefer to get to drive the car before making the purchase.

I'm particularly picky about the cage. I would want to inspect the construction and design of the cage before buying. Oh, and I'd set aside $5k-$10k for getting things set up the way I would want it. Things like seats, harnesses, nets, kill switch, fire system, cage modifications, and other stuff that you may want to modify.

Quick Reply: Racecar----- PPI's?shipping?purchasing?