Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Slick (Blue) life in DE….

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:20 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Michelin Slick (Blue) life in DE….

I have a set of slicks (Michelin Blue Porsche Cup) I am using in DE driving. I am trying to decide if I need to take a spare set of tires to my next DE. I am not worried about heat cycles versus grip – I plan to drive them until they cord. The tires come with sets of 3 holes across the tire so that you can tell how much tread is left. Does anyone know if they will show cords once wear reaches the bottom of the hole, or is there more life after that? TIA!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:27 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

They won't show cords until after you go through the wear indicators. I've corded a set in a single test day, but that was with myself and a pro driving the car. If you're not pushing the car really hard, you won't have a problem with the tires lasting for a weekend.

However, I'd still bring an extra set if you have them available just in case you get a flat or something like that...

-mike
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
They won't show cords until after you go through the wear indicators. I've corded a set in a single test day, but that was with myself and a pro driving the car. If you're not pushing the car really hard, you won't have a problem with the tires lasting for a weekend.

However, I'd still bring an extra set if you have them available just in case you get a flat or something like that...

-mike
Thanks for the info! I will be starting out at Sebring (new to me) on my street/rain tires until I learn the track (no point in wasting heat cycles...). Will probably not get into the slicks until the second day, and doubt I will have the skill/speed to use them up. I still have about half the depth of the wear indicator to use up. Streets will be the backup, though going from slicks to streets is like going from 25 year old single malt to light beer.....
Old 12-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we get through 5 sets a weekend in testing

R+C

Quick Reply: Michelin Slick (Blue) life in DE….