Sponsored by:

Night Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Trak Ratt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Night Racing?

Thinking about running some night events in 2012. Was wondering what type auxiliary lighting others are using and how they have them hooked up. Going on my '84 Carrera w/stock H4s. Will be upgrading H4s and adding relays.

I'm installing a FG front bumper and was going to fab some simple tabs as part of the bumper mounts. Planning on using a removable light bar across the front, just above the hood's leading edge. Was thinking about using the stock fog light switch (or 2) with relays.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Hella H4 conversions with some super bright bulbs, and make sure your fogs are as bright as possible (are those H6? Hella makes some nice H6 bulbs too). If you still feel inadequite, you could probably fabricate a bar to mount some auxilliarys without modifying the hood.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, I did a track event @ night one time a while back. It was a good time, but it helps if you know the track well.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
JClark
Instructor

Apex lights are a big help. Resist the urge to just put tons of lights on the front to act as high beams x1000. Anyone sharing the track with you will be grateful after several hours go by.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I used fogs aimed in an X pattern to light the outside corners of the track (apex). then stripe the rear glass with racers tape to help you block the other car lights.

-they don't need to be super bright, just light the area where you want to see

good luck!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:04 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
I used fogs aimed in an X pattern to light the outside corners of the track (apex). then stripe the rear glass with racers tape to help you block the other car lights.

-they don't need to be super bright, just light the area where you want to see

good luck!
Last overnight we did we used 2 hella 500's in the hood for long range, and 2 smaller low mounted fogs as apex lights. Worked fairly well, but we were limited to 4 total lights. If we could have run more, I would have run 2 more 500's angled out to the side also. But the set up we had worked pretty well, I will be converting the 500's to xenon next time.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:39 PM
dp35
Pro

I've raced the Thunderhill 25 hour race the last 3 years, and the night racing is always a special treat & challenge. What others have said is true. But consider other things also, like your dash lights, defroster, mirrors, unique exterior identification lights, reflective numbers, etc. Its nice to have an interior light for driver changes, and I saw a car with LED's inside the fenders for inspecting parts at night.

Here's a video of a friend driving one of the faster BMW's at this years 25:

Old 12-14-2011, 11:22 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

we use Hella lights on our mx5 cup cars for night races- at places with big elevation changes like VIR we will take one light and aim it off to the side and slightly up for the uphill stuff
Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 PM
SaciecSuitber
Cruisin'

Get the Hella H4 conversions with some super bright bulbs

Old 12-15-2011, 11:01 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

@Trak Ratt
Fill you booots but please have installer ensure they are firmly mounted. As one of the backmarker cars it is very odd seeing the bouncing lights coming up from behind, hard to tell if its one or three cars. At the last Sebring event one dudes car was equiped for the Paris Dekar rally he just lacked the roof mounted system. For what its worth my stock lights with fogs works well at relatively flat tracks, Sebring etc.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Oh Yeah, let there be Light!
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Trak Ratt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all for the input! Sounds like Hella 500s are the way to go. Car already has H4s but I'll upgrade their bulbs as well as the Hellas. I do most of my own work so I'll be sure to fab the light bar so it doesn't come off and cause a lot of havoc!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I'll let you know after Winterfest. I'm retrofitting the best HID projectors ( as used in Lexus I believe) with 55w ballasts (instead of more usual 35w) into the headlights. The pattern will be one LHD with one RHD so there is a rise down the middle instead of to the right as with LHD pattern.

Also one set of HID projs for apex coverage mounted in front spoiler And that's it. It's a
quality vs guantity solution but we'll see (pardon pun).

Quick Reply: Night Racing?