Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Overall Preference for Northeast Racers
PCA Club Racing
82.35%
NASA Club Racing
17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Contemplating PCA Club Racing - First Timer from NASA...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011 | 12:44 AM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Question Contemplating PCA Club Racing - First Timer from NASA...

Hi,

I am contemplating PCA for racing in 2012 coming off a full season with NASA Northeast in 2011. There are some old threads on this and some newer with "related" discussions, but none that are newer and look at the actual pros and cons of the two specifically for a 968 type car with a whole lot of stuff that knocks it out of the Stock and Modified classes. Hopefully you can give me some advice from experience.

After trying to understand the myriad of classes available (for a single brand!), I think GT-4 or GT-5 may be the best suited classes for me. Porsche 968, GTS2 in NASA Trim. Full aero crap... If I am reading it correctly, and calculating the PI formula right, it seems that at about 3,090 pounds, I can be in GT-5. Less weight would slot me in the faster GT-4.

Now, from what I can see, everything else is open in this class? So I can run a ginormous wing, or whatever engine mods (as long as NA and same displacement)? So I guess the GT classes in PCA are just like our GTS classes in NASA? I did ... just making sure I am not missing something...

Can you comment on the racing itself? Are GT-4/5 classes competitive with decent numbers (at least 3-5?)? I see that contingencies may be fairly equivalent.

From a schedule perspective, I see that there are probably 4 2012 “local” northeast race weekends (LRP, Glen, NJMP x2). Driving a bit longer takes one to VIR and Mid-Ohio making a total of 6 race weekends. How long are the sprints normally? Are they preceded by individual practice and qualifying sessions always? Both Sat and Sun? I guess, in general, is it more or less track time than NASA? How about fees for a full weekend in comparison?

Thanks in advance... If there is a fairly current thread I have missed that already addresses this, please point me to it....

Cheers!

Last edited by pmcrespo; 12-10-2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-10-2011 | 08:35 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Congrats on making the move over to PCA Club Racing. You'll love it. Good drivers and usually well behaved.

With respect to class, when I was initially looking for a car and to get into racing, I downloaded all the results from the past couple of years from the Club races I would eventually attend.
http://www.pca.org/Activities/ClubRa...ceResults.aspx

I added up the number of cars in each class... and tried to fit into a category with the most cars (... i.e. avoid classes with 1-2 cars per race). Not a really big deal, you'll be racing with relatively similar cars regardless, but it's always nice to be in a class with at least 4 cars.

Race durations vary, but the track time is usually pretty good. Again, just go to the web sites and see the 2011 schedules to get an idea. Usually 2 sprints and 1 enduro. As well as a couple practices, fun race and qualifying. Some races also have a test&tune day before with plenty of track time (e.g. Mosport).
Old 12-10-2011 | 09:21 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

you do not want to be in GT. can you give us details of what you've done to the car? it will be easier to come up with class suggestions/options.
Old 12-10-2011 | 09:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I do not live in the NE. However, I am a huge fan of PCA club racing. Well run, great folks, and in the NE there are TONS of really good drivers in every class.
Old 12-10-2011 | 10:09 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

One big positive that you will find is that you get a lot more track time with PCA.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-10-2011 | 01:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
you do not want to be in GT. can you give us details of what you've done to the car? it will be easier to come up with class suggestions/options.
^^^^
What he said..
Old 12-10-2011 | 01:31 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pmcrespo
Now, from what I can see, everything else is open in this class? So I can run a ginormous wing, or whatever engine mods (as long as NA and same displacement)?
There are only minor aero restrictions in GT. The rear wing can't be wider than the car, and ca't be more than 4'10" from the ground. Also, no active aero (in car you were considering fabbing up a DRS...). That's about it.

GT can be a fun place to race. but there will be very fast cars in GT4. Records at the Glen in GT4 are in the 2:03 range, so be prepared to pedal fast!

More info on time here:
http://rennpoints.com/classrecords/?...GT4R&session=0
Old 12-10-2011 | 01:35 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Send a PM to Jim Child. He races a 968. He used to race both PCA and NASA but only races PCA now (I think). He's an expert on 968s and the prep level, what would be competitive, etc.

I too think he would caution against GT5, and definitely GT4.
Old 12-10-2011 | 02:32 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Great valuable feedback. I am starting to really look forward to trying PCA.

Thanks for the link Rob. I did look at those and the results were part of the motivator to ask you guys as the Pros.... I could not find many GT-5S peeps in the groups.

Sean, the NA 968 sits roughly as follows:
Air Box Modded.
Chipped (Factory ECU).
No header, just custom system downstream of exhaust manifold.
Stock Gears
Motorsport LSD
Moton ClubSports (Older) 2-way (7-pos ea)
MO30 Brakes
MO30 Sway bars (may change over the winter)
18 x 10 Wheels with 285 R6 Hoosiers all around
Full aero with:
Big custom splitter
Custome Diffuser
Custom "Flat Bottom" Middle section
El mucho grande huge wing (65") that sits very high (but height is an easy mod)
Hood Vents
All Metal Body
Lexan Front and Back
No Interior outside of a 1/2 dash (top sction)

Veloce/Larry; More track time is definitely a selling point as well as the excellent drivers. I try to always learn from those around with better/more experience. How is the pricing when compared to NASA?

38; Thanks for that link. That is a great little tool for a competitive check! GT-4 I is kinda out of the questions as I could never make 2,530 pounds. I think I would be 200 pounds too heavy and not competitive there. So Like a I do now for NASA GTS2, I run about 170 pounds of ballast to make weight so 3,090 is doable for GT-5 if I throw in a passenger seat, and start the races on a full tank. It seems I can be competitive in times: NJMP Thunderbolt (1:32s), NJMP Lightning (1:15s), and I have done a 1:10 in practice at the Glen (but I was too light).

Astroman, I have chatted with Jim in the past... He gave me great advice on NASA GTS-2 vs. 3 decisions. I may reach out to him again indeed.

Ultimately, I now believe I can be competitive in GT-5S as I can squeeze some HP out by just doing a few things. Perhaps be at 220-225 rwhp. 15-20 more than I have now. But running about 100 pounds heavier so my current times may be about right...

So its again down to not very much participation in GT5S even though it seems should be a popular class given the easy, straightforward Class Rules.
Old 12-10-2011 | 03:27 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

So its again down to not very much participation in GT5S even though it seems should be a popular class given the easy, straightforward Class Rules.
Yeah GT5 is a small class. And what's worse (or maybe better), is that of the few people that race in GT5, most of them are very fast. A few very quick 914s and vintage 911s come immediately to mind.

The bright side is that GT5 is always grouped with E class and sometimes F. That matchup usually puts GT5 at the "top" of the group with a chance for overall wins (and lots of good competition).
Old 12-10-2011 | 04:12 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Same case with GTS2 in NASA on the grouping. Does overall group wins have any points or other benefits? In NASA they dont. Nonetheless, I tend to like the "top" of the group starts better. At least from a race start and T1 risk perspective.

I like fast guys in class when the actual cars are evenly matched. If it is a plain car advantage, then it gets frustrating. I am kind of in the same spot at NASA. The car is at the sweet spot in the class and probably can contend for a podium in nationals. But in the NE, the class is very light and inconsistent with signups. I had several races solo. I few very strong BMWs and Boxsters that, when present, made for a great class. If I look to GTS3, then I would have to add 40 rwhp to be anywhere near competitive and in the 968 that is an expensive (and not proven reliable) proposition.

If I go decide GT-5S, then I'll install a fancy head I have, a header, and few other upgrades that will make the car a strong contender in the class. Hoping for better participation. But will knock me out onto NASA GTS3, their best class, for a sure butt-kicking in the middle of the pack missing 40 rwhp to the front runners in M3s and Cayman PDKs. New for me, but on the bright side, certainly experience that will improve my limited racecraft skills (only abt 3 full season under my belt).

I may decide to do it.... I'll have to go on a Zone 1 and 2 campaign for GT-5S cars to come out and play. I believe Richard Glickel races the class in a beautiful 968. That's 2! LOL...
Old 12-10-2011 | 09:05 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

I COULD try and run Prepared F by having a PCA compliant Aero Package. Thanks Nader. I'll have to keep that in mind.

From a Contingency perspective, the major setback is that there are simply NO tire contingency programs outside of Spec? That is difficult to understand. Does anyone know if this may change for 2012?
Old 12-10-2011 | 09:53 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

I COULD try and run Prepared F by having a PCA compliant Aero Package.
Now you're talking.
Old 12-10-2011 | 10:59 PM
DanR
Drifting

I would take the car back to F or even sp3. Not likely to be that competitive in gt4 unless you do more work
Old 12-10-2011 | 11:49 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR
I would take the car back to F or even sp3. Not likely to be that competitive in gt4 unless you do more work
+1 for SP3. And if you choose to do so, you could even race with 944Cup (www.44cup.com). You will find a fair share of competition there.

c.

Quick Reply: Contemplating PCA Club Racing - First Timer from NASA...