Sponsored by:

Loose at Lugana Seca

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Loose at Lugana Seca

Laguna Seca last month, and I got a little loose through turn 10. Not sure why, but I hit the apex at 9 a little hard. No problems throughout the rest of the session so I don't think that tire pressure was an issue.

Comments from the group?

Old 12-09-2011, 03:32 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 914 Likes on 447 Posts

Too late of an apex and turned in too much considering your speed.

Scott
Old 12-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think one hand on the steering wheel is the first thing to fix.

Better to upload with engine and tire sounds.

If you can remember those few seconds and replay it in your mind, you'll have been feeling the steering wheel get heavier and heavier, then go suddenly light. Some call this "incipient" oversteer, but in less grand terms, weight was moving forward and the road was transitioning from falling out from under the fronts to coming up under the fronts at the apex.

As noted by "winders" as you steering in to "pinch" the apex, the car initially responded, then lost rear traction as the relative grip front to rear, moved forward. Fortunately, there's ample camber, so as soon as the rears came around to a wide slip angle, the road effectively pushed up and created rear traction, the steering wheel snapped around in your right hand without over-compensating. That "compression" through T10 is a handy ally as the car transitions from steep descent to level. Bingo -- nice catch, but don't try it like that too many times ... : )
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 873 Posts

WAY too late & too sudden of a turn in, way off the apex, surprised the car. Slow your hands down & begin turn in sooner.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:13 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

As others have said, you were too late on turn-in and carrying too much speed (for being in that position on the track).

That said, you weren't all that loose. Little breakaways like that are how your brain learns to correct and recover.

Of course, breaking loose is also something that precedes going off the track, which is dangerous at Laguna Seca.

Thunderhill and Buttonwillow are safer places to feel your way through car control.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say it's because your rear view mirror is flipped upside down, raising the center of gravity.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:51 PM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by gums
I'd say it's because your rear view mirror is flipped upside down, raising the center of gravity.
I do that because i sit high in the car. So it blocks my view when in the correct position. I probably need to get rid of the sliders on the recaros to lower the seats.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:54 PM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
As others have said, you were too late on turn-in and carrying too much speed (for being in that position on the track).

That said, you weren't all that loose. Little breakaways like that are how your brain learns to correct and recover.

Of course, breaking loose is also something that precedes going off the track, which is dangerous at Laguna Seca.

Thunderhill and Buttonwillow are safer places to feel your way through car control.
This was my second outing to Laguna. The ruts next to the track were horrendous. If anybody went off sideways in a couple of turns they certainly would've ended upside down.

I have a lot of respect for Laguna and sears point, lots of concrete. Button willow and thunder hill just give you a nice dirt car wash if you go off.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:46 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Exactly.

Here I am losing my windshield after a turn 1 backwards exit at Thunderhill. I had to drive all the way to San Francisco that night to get another one. But other than the bugs in my teeth, no problem.

Losing a windshield at Laguna was more of a problem.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,381 Likes on 637 Posts

as jack said it's not that bad of a breakaway/slide, the good thing is you had the reflexes to protect it. making the car work too hard with the abrupt late turn in is still a catchable offense, it just slows you down or creates little drift moments (now you know how to drift).

it's a really fun turn when you get it right because the camber and compression make you confident you can stick through there at any speed but eventually you go in 2mph too hot and end up in the kitty litter on exit! during a race it's a great segment to pass because if you can steal that apex there's really no chance someone is going around the outside right there.

the "perfect speed" entry for that turn would probably still require a micro correction on the way down to the apex but you want the exit drift to be on full power and not have to lift because of that too much speed in thing.

oh and you need to turn your radio down when you're driving
Old 12-09-2011, 03:27 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad that's not the same car as your avatar, Jack.
Don't ever hurt that gorgeous ***.
Perhaps even nicer than the one VR shows.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 PM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think one hand on the steering wheel is the first thing to fix.

Better to upload with engine and tire sounds.

If you can remember those few seconds and replay it in your mind, you'll have been feeling the steering wheel get heavier and heavier, then go suddenly light. Some call this "incipient" oversteer, but in less grand terms, weight was moving forward and the road was transitioning from falling out from under the fronts to coming up under the fronts at the apex.

As noted by "winders" as you steering in to "pinch" the apex, the car initially responded, then lost rear traction as the relative grip front to rear, moved forward. Fortunately, there's ample camber, so as soon as the rears came around to a wide slip angle, the road effectively pushed up and created rear traction, the steering wheel snapped around in your right hand without over-compensating. That "compression" through T10 is a handy ally as the car transitions from steep descent to level. Bingo -- nice catch, but don't try it like that too many times ... : )
I just watched it again, and noticed that my left hand wasn't on the wheel for the turn. I always have that hand attached, so I wonder if I was making an adjustment to my glasses or something equally stupid that got me into the problem in the first place. Not concentrating on the task at hand?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:36 PM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
as jack said it's not that bad of a breakaway/slide, the good thing is you had the reflexes to protect it. making the car work too hard with the abrupt late turn in is still a catchable offense, it just slows you down or creates little drift moments (now you know how to drift).

it's a really fun turn when you get it right because the camber and compression make you confident you can stick through there at any speed but eventually you go in 2mph too hot and end up in the kitty litter on exit! during a race it's a great segment to pass because if you can steal that apex there's really no chance someone is going around the outside right there.

the "perfect speed" entry for that turn would probably still require a micro correction on the way down to the apex but you want the exit drift to be on full power and not have to lift because of that too much speed in thing.

oh and you need to turn your radio down when you're driving

The soundtrack was because my camera is really cheap, and all I get is wind noise. It is an Aiptek HD, and I've never been able to get good sound out of it. On the Christmas list is the new GoPro!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:23 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Everyone already covered 10. But in 9, you went to far right/wide on entry and didn't use all the track out on exit. I normally don't go farther than the middle of the track entering 9 (and using all the exit coming out of the corkscrew) and use all the exit coming out of 9. Let the car free when you come out of the corkscrew and you can stay on the gas longer into 9 without trying to fight it to get over to the right. IMO of course. :-)

-mike
Old 12-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Everyone already covered 10. But in 9, you went to far right/wide on entry and didn't use all the track out on exit. I normally don't go farther than the middle of the track entering 9 (and using all the exit coming out of the corkscrew) and use all the exit coming out of 9. Let the car free when you come out of the corkscrew and you can stay on the gas longer into 9 without trying to fight it to get over to the right. IMO of course. :-)

-mike
Agree 100%.

Quick Reply: Loose at Lugana Seca