Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Rate Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:27 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with what has already been said.
Springs, the 900/1100 would be closer. Me personally, I would get the MCS shocks and go a tad lighter front and rear spring,say 700/900, but that's me.
Sways should be stiffer than where you are at currently, we all run lighter cars and run stiffer sway settings than where you are at.
The A6's are fine for what you are doing, slicks would be better for longer races but thats not what you are currently doing so ...... stay with the A6.

But most important thing you might be dealing with is the way you must drive an OS Giken diff. They are a different design and require a different style than all the other diffs. I've sold and installed, Guard (GT), OS Giken, Kazz, Porsche Motorsports, OEM Porsche,Quaiffe and most in between. We won't get into a thread of which is better because that's not the issue here.
Because of the design of the Giken it requires you to really commit to full throttle before it will hook up. Initially this is very unnerving, but once you learn to commit it's fine and you will love it. I once had a friend behind me while driving a Giken and his comment was that he was waiting for me to spin coming out of a turn and then I was suddenly gone !
The Giken acts like an open diff on corner entry, this actually is an advatage because you carry more corner entry speed since the car gets pushed less, and then once you commit to the turn and throttle back on fully it locks full and gets the power down and drives you out of the corner. Now if you don't fully commit to the full throttle then the car acts like a bastard open diff and you can't get the power to the ground and it's slow.
I know of at least two other's on RL that read and post here regularly that have driven with the Giken and I had to explain the technology before they understood and were willing to commit to throttle as needed, but once they did they both loved it and said it was fine.

I do feel you have some suspension sorting to to do as stated by the others and myself, but I think you will still need to relearn how to drive the proper technique with the Giken diff before you can really get the power down.

Hope that all made sense, let me know if you have any other questions regarding it,
Old 12-09-2011, 04:51 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Man, that is right on point, I do not feel as if I've even really utilized the LSD yet and that seems like exactly whats been missing. The problem is that at Road Atlanta,1% too reckless = punishment. I need a different track to really test the limits of this diff as I feel that my cornering speeds are fast enough that if I get it wrong, it will not be good.

Goldcrest has been working on my car for me and Bob has also advised the softer spring rates (700/900). I hope to be able to try both setups in Feb at the PBOC event. Or at least again before I run NASA again in March. I can see the benefits of going either way. I really think the stiffer setup will be better for Road Atlanta, but the softer one will be better for Barber and CMP.

As soon as I find the rates I like so I don't have to start testing all over again, I'm going to order MCS. Already been in contact with Lex.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I know of at least two other's on RL that read and post here regularly that have driven with the Giken and I had to explain the technology before they understood and were willing to commit to throttle as needed, but once they did they both loved it and said it was fine.

I am one of these people, and the Giken is the real deal. Dez, you may want to see if you can dial back your boost a bit first as you learn how to drive the Giken, makes it a bit less unnerving. Then when you dial it back up again, you're good to go.

Let me know if I can help!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:28 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
Man, that is right on point, I do not feel as if I've even really utilized the LSD yet and that seems like exactly whats been missing. The problem is that at Road Atlanta,1% too reckless = punishment. I need a different track to really test the limits of this diff as I feel that my cornering speeds are fast enough that if I get it wrong, it will not be good.

Goldcrest has been working on my car for me and Bob has also advised the softer spring rates (700/900). I hope to be able to try both setups in Feb at the PBOC event. Or at least again before I run NASA again in March. I can see the benefits of going either way. I really think the stiffer setup will be better for Road Atlanta, but the softer one will be better for Barber and CMP.

As soon as I find the rates I like so I don't have to start testing all over again, I'm going to order MCS. Already been in contact with Lex.

Going softer with the spring rate will allow you to have both stiffer and softer as needed once you add the MCS shocks, then you can just bump the canister pressure to get more spring rate as needed. Although the 700/900 will be much easier to drive faster.

I understand about the punishment or risk/reward at RA. Hire a good coach, preferably one that is familiar with the OS Giken diff, I know VR is familiar with it as I helped him understand how it works the first time he drove one. He would be a good coach to hire and I'm pretty sure he goes to RA fairly often to coach others.

Order the MCS shocks you will not regret it, they are great, as is the support from Lex and Kent.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Thanks, Viking, yeah, it sure was different to learn the Giken, but it works as you said it would!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Viking, you have MCS coilovers already?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:10 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MCS shocks are great and I am proud to be working with Lex here in the NorthEast.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:18 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
Viking, you have MCS coilovers already?
No but I know Lex well, dealt with him as a Moton dealer, am set up as a MCS dealer, and have discussed with Lex the what the MCS shocks will have that makes them even better than the old Moton's. Based on that I know they will be better than the old Moton's, which means they will be awesome !

I have 2 customers waiting on shocks from them as soon as they are available, and probably a 3rd after a conversation coming this weekend.

If you haven't dealt with Lex and Kent then you've missed out, they are the best in the shock business !
Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are sitting in the same spot with 2 sets awaiting and a possible 3rd in the wing... It speaks volumes on how Lex and all around him put out products that raise the bar. I am very impressed with the advances with the new product.

Quick Reply: Spring Rate Dilemma