Sponsored by:

AIM GPS forecasted lap question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 07:38 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIM GPS forecasted lap question

I like the AIM system for its simplicity. i also think its integration of GPS and simplicity of setting points on a new track are nice.

my question is whether anyone has had issues when you run a single GPS point vs. a few segements, as it relates to getting accurate forecasted lap times.

about 2 years ago was first instance of using it, and i started with 1 start/finish GPS point. no segments. i found the forecasted lap time would be inaccurate, would jump around a lot and then right near finish line it would show you with a forecasted lap a few seocnds off what it would actually flash as aactual lap when hit the gps start/finish line.

when i went to 3 segments. start finish, and then 2 intermediate splits, the thing got very accurate. there is a delay of about 8 seconds when you hit a split and it displays the split, so on a short track like LRP, i dont use more than 8 else you never see the forecasted lap, just the split times sit on the screen your whole way around. but 3 does work.

just wondering if others have seen stuf flike that, or if anyone has issues with forecasted laps with the single gps point. maybe they've fixed their firmware, or i was doing something wrong.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Yes this is normal to have that issue if you have a complete lap as the only segment. You would get the same thing with just about any brand of data acquisition if you were to do this. Yes 3-5 segments can work for most tracks. Some keys to getting accurate predictive times with segments:

1. Never begin or end a segment in a brake zone. Blow a brake zone and watch your predictive or segment change
2. Don't have 20 segments for a 12-turn course. Keep it simple and create the segments where they are important sections of the track. Watkins Glen you would have more than you would at LRP. Example at LRP: Segment 1 starts at S/F and ends at the lefthander exit, Segment 2 starts where Segment 1 finishes and ends at the top of the uphill, Segment 3 from there until S/F.
3. Use a good reference lap. If the reference lap is 8 seconds slower than the lap you are on then there will be some inaccuracies in the predictive.

Hope this helps you out. Let me know if you have any other questions
Old 12-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

What Seth said. This also happens with TraqMate etc.

Quick Reply: AIM GPS forecasted lap question