Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the track looking for advice (austex)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New to the track looking for advice (austex)

Hey all,

I had my first HPDE at H2R this month and I don't know who greased up this slippery slope but I fell off before I knew what happened...

Anyway, I've been asking around just trying to get an idea of all of the tracks and event promoters around here and figured this would be a good place since I see a lot of folks from Tx.

The only promoters I know of are PCA, Velocity Adventures, and Driver's Edge. Are there other good ones out there that are worth looking into?

Regarding tracks within driving distance the ones I've been able to find info on are H2R, TWS, MSR Houston and Cresson, and Eagles Canyon.

Are there any other forums, promoters, tracks that are good to know about for a beginner? I haven't yet joined PCA but I hear their DEs are excellent so I'll probably join up for 2012 so I can try to get into one.

Also are there any good videos or reading material for learning the basics? I am not going to sit here and pretend I know how to drive just because I've had one track day or played a bunch of racing games.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The possibilities are endless if your wallet can handle severe depletion...

You can run with several other associations such as NASA, SCCA, and BMWCCA

Best website I've found for finding local events and driver schools is: motorsportreg.com

SCCA/NASA forums are pretty good but of I havent found any that really compare to Rennlist

There are tons of videos and books that will help which people more qualified than me will recommend, but if you are looking to dive right into the deep end then check out:

http://raceruniversity.com/
Old 11-28-2011, 01:57 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The NASA Texas group is a good group. Their DE program is very organized you'll get to run just about every track in Texas and Hallet.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,560 Likes on 820 Posts

Dotframe, you have pretty much the typical DE groups there, as well as the tracks. I live in Austin as well, and would be happy to offer any guidance. Yes, PCA events are very good in our area, whether with Lone Star, Maverick, or Hill Country regions. Email me and I can send you a link for some in car videos from TWS and MSR Cresson, and point you towards some for the other tracks in our area.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:55 PM
dotframe
Pro

Thanks for the info guys.

VR I'll definitely be reaching out! Thanks.

-jd
Old 11-30-2011, 01:22 PM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

the Lone Star Region PCA is running a DE this weekend at TWS, come on over and visit with our great instructor group

Steve
Old 11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

My Advice, GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/surrender.gif
Seriously though, I have been at it for about 10 years, just do your research before you start spending any money on your car..
Old 11-30-2011, 02:32 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I came out to TWS about 2 years ago on a Sunday -- I was interested
but I didn't have the car to do a DE. I got to do a ride along (which is not supposed to happen - so don't go expecting one) -- I was hooked.

You've already done one DE -- so you're at least a willing patient to the asylum.

That summer a built a Chumps/Lemons Porsche,
I now have 3 race cars (track only) and will be taking my avatar on its maiden voyage (for me)
this weekend.

While I like H2R, TWS is the real deal. When you drive under the tunnel
and come up through the infield -- it just gets the juices flowing.

Mike
Old 11-30-2011, 04:08 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I here there is a new dirt track partially finished near you courtesy of Bernie E.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:24 AM
dotframe
Pro

Does the TWS event this weekend go through Sunday?

I've never been to TWS. If I wanted to come check things out can I just park and walk up to the paddock or do I have to be registered to enter?

For you guys that will be there what are you going to be driving? I'd like to know who you guys are so I don't wonder around like a lost puppy
Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dotframe

I've never been to TWS. If I wanted to come check things out can I just park and walk up to the paddock or do I have to be registered to enter?

For you guys that will be there what are you going to be driving? I'd like to know who you guys are so I don't wonder around like a lost puppy
It runs through Sunday, though the weather is likely to be much better on Sunday. You will need to sign a waiver at the track entrance, but then you can come in, park, and walk around. If you get there before lunch, there are parade laps that you can drive to get to see the track.

You can find me at garage #17, where the Green Hornet will be parked. Look for this car and ask for Globe:
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2011, 11:40 AM
dotframe
Pro

Awesome, thanks globe! Unless something changes I'm planning to come check things out on Sunday morning.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome, thanks globe! Unless something changes I'm planning to come check things out on Sunday morning.
definitely join PCA, their DE program is very good for beginners.
also, try to run at least 4-5 PCA autocross events too to get a solid muscle memory of how your car behaves and how to control and recover your car when it gets too close to loosing grip - you will not be able to practice it on a track safely enough or on a street. porsche 911 is quite different in this regard from most other vehicles and it just takes some time to get used to and get to the level when you feel by guts when you can still recover or when all you can do is to put both feet in and let it spin out.
auto-x is a great venue to learn this skill. there is also 'evolution auto-x driving school' - check for their schedule and do it too, if you can.

overall, good luck and listen to your instructors carefully and be cautios.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

As Mike Globe said -- you'll sign a waiver -- then drive under the tunnel
and you drive into the paddock. Find a convenient spot to park -- maybe
along the fence to your right. as you enter. Then walk around and
drool over the hardware and enjoy the sounds. Don't be afraid to ask
questions.

I too will be there -- I'll be in the back, Garage #52 -- come say hello.

Just look for my avatar (hopefully she's still pulling strong on Sunday!)

Mike
Old 12-01-2011, 01:10 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome,

I'm fairly new here myself as I just bought a track 944 turbo. But I've been blowing up Mikes cars for him for the last year or so now (haha, really was only 1 car Mike). Ill be at TWS this weekend in a red bmw m3, hanging out in Mikes garage mainly. Come say hi.

Quick Reply: New to the track looking for advice (austex)