Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pat Long Vintage Racing Last Weekend At Chuckwalla....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 04:46 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the door opens with a little $$, at least that is how it works for me. GA is a great experience and ups one game.

You will love a Cup, good fun!
Old 11-23-2011, 06:43 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
It's a joy to see talent like that really just enjoying the drive. It really makes you appreciate the whole concept of 10/10ths...when he backed off it was almost silly, a Sunday drive around the park...

JR come on over! I'm going to try more crossover events this next season and get to know more of the Cali tracks and racers...putting all my efforts this year into working on the driver, need a "clinic" like that one!...
I think NASA So Cal's first event is in conjunction with NASA Arizona at Cal Speedway in March. Looks like we'll get to run with each othere several times in 2012....
Old 11-23-2011, 06:49 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
Chad, I adore your car, am envious of your experiences with Pat in your car. What always surprises me is how "early" pro drivers seem to get to the inside of the turn/apex. It stands to reason that 10th's are shaved as they create a shorter distance at the expense of giving up a larger radius, but I suppose what differentiates being "FAST" and being "fast" is the ability to correct and control a car at the limit all the way around the turn at that shorter distance, rather than simply finding the largest radius. Awesome stuff.
Pros rotate these cars under braking and much earlier than us mortals. It's pretty incredible to sit in the right seat and watch them work their magic....
Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by analogmike
Of course a pro like Pat will always be faster than a Semi-pro amateur, but the car did a lot of sliding around, he _needed_ the fast hands.
That's what I see in the video too
Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

You guys need to understand--- Plavan's car has no tail or rear spoiler/wing. Just has the stock deck lid. The rear is very loose in this config, and the car is very twitchy and greatly affected by cross winds.

Last edited by flatsics; 12-17-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I think NASA So Cal's first event is in conjunction with NASA Arizona at Cal Speedway in March. Looks like we'll get to run with each othere several times in 2012....
Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't think Plavan's car is that loose because of aero. Those aren't 130-mph corners where the car's rear end is stepping out. It's suspension. I think some of you guys with modern 911s maybe forget what driving the early cars is like. The suspension is a LOT less capable.

On top of that, the car has a very stiff rear swaybar, so it's pretty loose, even as torsion-bar 911s go.

Plus, it's got a built motor that is pretty strong, relative to the car's weight.

On top of that, it's a very light car compared to modern cars. And with no power steering, the kickback to the steering wheel exaggerates the wheel/hand movement -- some of it is the driver sawing the wheel and some of it is the wheel sawing the driver.

But he's definitely staying close to the car's limits. You can see how calm things get when he's loping along waiting for the number two car to catch up.

My own car isn't so different, except that I've got more push than Plavan's car -- something I'm looking to ween myself from. But modern race cars behave a lot more like a car with more push built in, even when they don't actually have more push built into them.

In any case, that is an awesome video, and a tribute to a really nicely set up car and a very capable professional driver (who's showing us all why he is paid for what he does).
Old 11-23-2011, 09:49 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome drive, almost as good as King Leh's video from Sebring. Maybe only difference was that Leh owned (?) his car and Patrick doesn't.
Great car, driven properly...early in, a little lift and balance increasing throttle pressure, quick hands.
Old school, f***ing classic.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I too love your car...Keep posting videos
Old 11-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose
Awesome drive, almost as good as King Leh's video from Sebring. Maybe only difference was that Leh owned (?) his car and Patrick doesn't.
Great car, driven properly...early in, a little lift and balance increasing throttle pressure, quick hands.
Old school, f***ing classic.
+1 well said
Old 11-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I KNOW I would be faster in that car set up more neutral than the way it's set up now. When I put my big torsion bars on, it was handling like that and I hated it. After 3 or 4 races I finally dialed it in again to get the rear to stick like glue and it's much more fun to drive and best of all faster than ever. Some people might like driving a car like that, and may be fast in it, but not me. Just another viewpoint, and tryiung to help. I loved watching and Pat is one of my biggest racing heros.
This is a good point, setup the car to make the owner fast, not the coach. I prefer a slightly loose car, but I'm not going to dial in the car like that if the owner isn't comfortable and fast with that. It doesn't do any good if the owner has no confidence in the car, doesn't have similar car control skills to PL, and can't repeatedly drive it to that lap time. A fast lap doesn't win a race, fast lapS do.

With that said, it does look like a fun car to drive.

Originally Posted by Plavan
When Patrick raced it 4 years ago, he suggested making the rear stiffer. Since then I did, 31mm rear bars were put in.

After his first session at Chuckwalla, he said he would not change a thing. He said "This car is awesome, its a Beast" and "This is the most fun driving I have had all year". The best was comment was "How much $ do these cars go for? I think I need one." He was sold.

It handled the way he would like it to. Different folks, different strokes.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Pros rotate these cars under braking and much earlier than us mortals. It's pretty incredible to sit in the right seat and watch them work their magic....
Yup. Very noticeable to those who haven't experienced it before.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
This is a good point, setup the car to make the owner fast, not the coach. I prefer a slightly loose car, but I'm not going to dial in the car like that if the owner isn't comfortable and fast with that. It doesn't do any good if the owner has no confidence in the car, doesn't have similar car control skills to PL, and can't repeatedly drive it to that lap time. A fast lap doesn't win a race, fast lapS do.

With that said, it does look like a fun car to drive.
I understand what you are saying. That may be true in alot of cases.
For me, I cant think of a better motivator/confidence builder in the car if Patrick says it perfect. Then to see him flying around the track in "My" car, shows me that the car can do it. Yes he is a pro, and I can only hope I can drive as good as him one day.
I have no problem driving it loose, I prefer it. When looking at the data, he was faster than me in 3 corners (by carrying more speed to straights). I just need to be faster in certain areas and leave the skirt at home.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 AM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Plavan:
Does your motor have a wide torque curve or (I'm thinking) most of the power is up top in the RPMs?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Plavan
I understand what you are saying. That may be true in alot of cases.
For me, I cant think of a better motivator/confidence builder in the car if Patrick says it perfect. Then to see him flying around the track in "My" car, shows me that the car can do it. Yes he is a pro, and I can only hope I can drive as good as him one day.
I have no problem driving it loose, I prefer it. When looking at the data, he was faster than me in 3 corners (by carrying more speed to straights). I just need to be faster in certain areas and leave the skirt at home.
+1

IMO, a good coach will help set up the car to be fast, and then help the driver drive closer to its potential, rather than set the car up for the driver. JMHO...

Quick Reply: Pat Long Vintage Racing Last Weekend At Chuckwalla....