Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pat Long Vintage Racing Last Weekend At Chuckwalla....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was the coolest thing I have seen this week.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 AM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

JR-Yeah, it'll be the first time NASA AZ has raced there. Still not sure which direction they're gonna run though. I won't be able to race a full season next season, but definitely gonna try to get that one in.

Hey Jim- Riiiiight! Only in my dreams, heh heh. Sub 2:00 on cold tires an no aero, wow, just wow.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Beautiful car!

I run on R6s and my '73 RS sticks like glue, rarely needs negative lock and runs close to lap records. I have the largest torsion bars made, but do run a wing or ducktail though...
Those lap records might drop a bit if Pat were in the class. It's a very different driving experience at his level.

This video reminds me of the first time I was in the right seat with him when he drove my torsion bar 911. His hands were all over the place, making what seemed to be massive corrections. Then I realized the car was completely planted and stuck while he was making these 'corrections'. Fast, violent hands but the car was smooth. His steering inputs were in anticipation of things to come, he was so far ahead of the car he corrected things before they could happen. Simply amazing to watch.

When he drove my 996 the inputs were very different. No more crazy hands.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=jakermc;9047226]Those lap records might drop a bit if Pat were in the class. It's a very different driving experience at his level.

This video reminds me of the first time I was in the right seat with him when he drove my torsion bar 911. His hands were all over the place, making what seemed to be massive corrections. Then I realized the car was completely planted and stuck while he was making these 'corrections'. Fast, violent hands but the car was smooth. His steering inputs were in anticipation of things to come, he was so far ahead of the car he corrected things before they could happen. Simply amazing to watch.

+1

"Beautiful car!

I run on R6s and my '73 RS sticks like glue, rarely needs negative lock and runs close to lap records. I have the largest torsion bars made, but do run a wing or ducktail though..."

Mike as good as you are, I don't think any of us are Pat Long
Old 11-23-2011, 11:35 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,309 Likes on 1,956 Posts

That was intense!!! I was waiting for the front end to start to grip, but it never did like I thought it would.

You can really see the difference between a pro level driver when he's at full tilt and the rest of us when he backs off to let the Z by. Most of the time we only see the difference in the lap times, but this video showed the difference while in car and you can hear the amount of time off throttle.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 AM
mcongleton
Racer

Great video, thanks for posting! Chad, is your 911 a SWB ??

I loved the tank slapper some serious pucker on that one.

Mark
Old 11-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Those lap records might drop a bit if Pat were in the class. It's a very different driving experience at his level.

When he drove my 996 the inputs were very different. No more crazy hands.
Yup. As has been pointed out in other threads, including Ask The Coach: Top level drivers are relatively busy in the car, but the car is serene.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:06 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a joy to see talent like that really just enjoying the drive. It really makes you appreciate the whole concept of 10/10ths...when he backed off it was almost silly, a Sunday drive around the park...

JR come on over! I'm going to try more crossover events this next season and get to know more of the Cali tracks and racers...putting all my efforts this year into working on the driver, need a "clinic" like that one!...
Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Of course a pro like Pat will always be faster than a Semi-pro amateur, but the car did a lot of sliding around, he _needed_ the fast hands. He came within a few percent of spinning, even with his amazing talent. I KNOW I would be faster in that car set up more neutral than the way it's set up now. When I put my big torsion bars on, it was handling like that and I hated it. After 3 or 4 races I finally dialed it in again to get the rear to stick like glue and it's much more fun to drive and best of all faster than ever. Some people might like driving a car like that, and may be fast in it, but not me. Just another viewpoint, and tryiung to help. I loved watching and Pat is one of my biggest racing heros.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:35 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pat is a great kid, I enjoyed that vid, shows what a sport he is.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcongleton
Great video, thanks for posting! Chad, is your 911 a SWB ??

I loved the tank slapper some serious pucker on that one.

Mark
It's a LWB car (originally a 1969 E)

When Patrick raced it 4 years ago, he suggested making the rear stiffer. Since then I did, 31mm rear bars were put in.

After his first session at Chuckwalla, he said he would not change a thing. He said "This car is awesome, its a Beast" and "This is the most fun driving I have had all year". The best was comment was "How much $ do these cars go for? I think I need one." He was sold.

One thing he did mention is that he might change the brake bias just a touch. When I explained the calipers/rotors/master cylinder were all stock (without a brake bias adjuster) he was blown away. He was so impressed.

It handled the way he would like it to. Different folks, different strokes.

When I drive it, how fast I go just depends on where my head is. When I'm in the "zone", I dont even notice myself correcting the car when driving fast. If im thinking too much, I'm slower.... If that makes sense.

Here were our lap times per session (same car). Both of our first times driving at Chuckwalla.

Friday- Me 2:05, Patrick 2:03.9
Sat- Me 2:01.7 (I threw the gauntlet down), Patrick 1:57.7!!!! (He answered! lol)

I only ran the car Sunday, but I broke the shift coupler on lap 3 or 4 in the Sunday race (my first DNF in 4 years). I got down to a 2:00. I would of for sure been in the 1:59's or even a 1:58 with his awesome help if the car did not break.
(Patrick jumped into my buddy's 67 911S 2.0L for the Sunday practice session and got a 2:02.X if I remember correctly)

Regardless, Patrick is a great teacher. He was pointing stuff out on video I would of never gave much thought to.

He will most likely be back a couple times this next season to drive again.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Chad

I love your car it looks like great fun. Working with a pro like Pat is invaluable, if you had data, you would be amazed at the quick progress you would achieve overlaying your data with Pat's.

You should consider doing a Grand Am Conti race at Laguna next summer, it would really up your game.

Mark
Old 11-23-2011, 02:59 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Chad, I adore your car, am envious of your experiences with Pat in your car. What always surprises me is how "early" pro drivers seem to get to the inside of the turn/apex. It stands to reason that 10th's are shaved as they create a shorter distance at the expense of giving up a larger radius, but I suppose what differentiates being "FAST" and being "fast" is the ability to correct and control a car at the limit all the way around the turn at that shorter distance, rather than simply finding the largest radius. Awesome stuff.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 559 Posts

Cool video! Sounds like you had an amazing experience and to drive within a couple of second of Patrick is awesome. Make sure you post video from the next time you guys run!
Old 11-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcongleton
Chad

I love your car it looks like great fun. Working with a pro like Pat is invaluable, if you had data, you would be amazed at the quick progress you would achieve overlaying your data with Pat's.

You should consider doing a Grand Am Conti race at Laguna next summer, it would really up your game.

Mark
Thanks Mark.
I would love a shot at a Grand Am Conti race, but no one is knocking at the door.

I might get to drive a 997 Cupcar next month. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Pat Long Vintage Racing Last Weekend At Chuckwalla....