Sponsored by:

pca morning of tech line

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:16 AM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pca morning of tech line

Anyone know if all zone 8 chapters require the day of tech line as well as a pre-tech form?

The last and only time I attended a PCA event in 2009 the morning of tech line was required, which I found rather annoying. It's enough to keep me from attending another PCA event, but thought I'd try and find out of that is no longer necessary.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean but if you're talking about inspection the morning of the event what part of that process annoyed you?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:50 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gvtesse
Anyone know if all zone 8 chapters require the day of tech line as well as a pre-tech form?

The last and only time I attended a PCA event in 2009 the morning of tech line was required, which I found rather annoying. It's enough to keep me from attending another PCA event, but thought I'd try and find out of that is no longer necessary.
I hope so.

What's wrong with a little attention on safety?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The tech line always catches problems, some of them not insignificant. It's there for your safety as well as those around you. Wouldn't you be glad to know the tech line caught a guy's coolant leak before you found out when you hit the brakes at 140 mph?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

In my region, with about 130 cars per event, the morning tech line has caught plenty of problems - brake pads worn down to 2 mm, low brake fluid, loose wheels. This in spite of the fact that cars are supposed to have been inspected by an authorized tech inspection center before the event.

Like the others, I wonder why you find this belt and suspenders approach annoying?

Regards,
Old 11-14-2011, 09:22 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the one who runs the tech line at out local pca events, I would like to know what part of it annoys you. I personally have found many things that were checked by other shops before the event that would have been a big problem. Badly routed belts, loose steering wheels, oil and coolant line clamps halway up the lines, no pads, loose ball joints, wheel bearings, leaking coolant bottles, broken throttle return springs, etc. And I have personally helped to fix most of them, to get them on track. Any or all of them could have been a big problem. We are here to help, and keep you safe for the weekend. That's it.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

We have seen everything from cracked rotors on a car to be used by two people to leaking fuel lines on a prepared race car. Most often, its loose obejcts and cars lacking numbers, but still...what's the downside?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:59 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to admit that since I race and my car has logbook I have not done morning tech in years. That said it is not that hard is it? If the car is fine roll it up and breeze through. Use it as chance to talk to your fellow drivers. Is is just that you don't want to get to the track early to do it?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

If you volunteer to work in the tech line you'll see it's importance and it's a great way to meet the other participants
Old 11-14-2011, 10:44 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Those silly meetings they have really bug me too.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:03 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

This is not going well for 'gvtesse.'
Is it the process of the tech line or the timing that is the objection.
Or is this just a way to stir up traffic on the forum? Hmmm
Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I may, allow me to rephrase the OP:

The last and only time I attended a PCA event....my presence at the Sat morning tech line was required, despite my intentions (desires) to attend Sunday only. The really pisses me off and I wonder how common this is - why can't a guy
attend a Sunday AM tech instead of arriving a farking day early?

Perhaps this is the question...I dunno.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,298 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
As the one who runs the tech line at out local pca events, I would like to know what part of it annoys you. I personally have found many things that were checked by other shops before the event that would have been a big problem. Badly routed belts, loose steering wheels, oil and coolant line clamps halway up the lines, no pads, loose ball joints, wheel bearings, leaking coolant bottles, broken throttle return springs, etc. And I have personally helped to fix most of them, to get them on track. Any or all of them could have been a big problem. We are here to help, and keep you safe for the weekend. That's it.
Good on ya
Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 AM
gvtesse
Racer

the safety I can respect. At least for the event I went to the part that was annoying for me was that it took 45 minutes of having my car in line, which meant I had to either

1) leave the car running for 45 minutes while we creep up the line
2) start/stop the car, which I hate doing.

Perhaps the event I went to at laguna was atypical of how the PCA tech line normally runs. It was a joint event by trackmasters/PCA. I have been to other events(non-PCA) that required a tech line, but they ran much faster. Also, once I actually got up to the station since it took so long they didn't even walk around my car to check. They just signed it off. Why make me wait in line when you aren't going to do anything with my car?

I suppose I could have also waited until the line died down to go or been the first in-line as either of those options would solve the annoyance for me.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Those silly meetings they have really bug me too.
steve...

you mean...you attend them...I thought they were voluntary...LOL

Quick Reply: pca morning of tech line