2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm on record as saying Alonso was going to podium eventhough he qualified 5th. I'm here and before and after each race.

Anyone here think that the Ferrari can seriously win a race without Alonso at the wheel? Is Massa Ferrari's best chance to win or is it Alonso?

Alonso has not only won a race this year, but been on podium a number of times. Massa has failed to finish a race higher than 5th. This tells me that Alonso is not only great, but bringing the Ferrari up by it's bootstraps.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:41 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
I have now thanks to your link.
Mr Brundle is pretty much saying the same things he said in the post race forum on TV.

Say it ain't so. Favoritism is alive and doing very well in F1.

"Massa had had to give up his new front wing when Alonso damaged his own (sounds familiar)" - Martin Brundle
I watched qualifying (skipping most of the commentary), and the race. But I didn't hear/see anything about that in the US feed. I was surprised to see the comment when reading the Brundle article (Canadians get the feed with Brundle as a commentator, right?).

Has anyone seen/heard anything other than Brundle bringing it up?

Not that it has any real bearing on the outcome of the race. But I too have seen some parties argue faux this faux that due to similar behaviors on other teams.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by arrivederci
I watched qualifying (skipping most of the commentary), and the race. But I didn't hear/see anything about that in the US feed. I was surprised to see the comment when reading the Brundle article (Canadians get the feed with Brundle as a commentator, right?).
Its a matter of Speed being restricted to the US.

The feed we get in Canada is the international feed which is the BBC sent all over the globe. Brundle commentates with David Coulthard who do a resonable job albeit with a strong bias to the 'English' drivers.

Paul DiResta being a Scot doesn't get the same

As to the Seb spin there were comments made later that a piece flapping under Webbos car was perhaps indication of a CF failure that possibly could have been something toward a car/design issue that may have affected Sebs car.

Bottom line is although the BBC is on track they watch most of the race as we do....on TV.

The Speed guys aren't even there......North Carolina I believe.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone seen/heard anything other than Brundle bringing it up?

Not that it has any real bearing on the outcome of the race. But I too have seen some parties argue faux this faux that due to similar behaviors on other teams.
I believe if you go to the F1.com webpage, navigate to the Technical section, and go to the article on the F150 Italia front wing, it was mentioned.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canadians get the feed with Brundle as a commentator, right?.
Correct, or at least this one does.

Up until the very first few races this year I had the option of watching the race through the international feed (BBC commentators) or it was also on Speed TV. But then something happened and now Speed is blacked out during qualifying as well as the races. I actually like the BBC coverage over Speed's F1 coverage (even though the BBC is heavily biased towards McLaren). But what I liked even more was having the choice of who I wanted to watch and unfortunately someone in some office tower (not sure who, the CRTC?) decided to take this choice away from me.

"No Speed for you" - said in my best Soup **** impression.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

BTW ... I do not recall hearing anything about Alonso using Massa's front wing in the BBC's TV pre-race, race and post-race coverage. Martin Brundle must have heard this from some source after the fact and is bringing it up in his written commentary now. But this should not be too much of a surprise. Ferrari is pretty closed to the media and ultra secretive. McLaren and Red Bull also try to hide their most important secrets, but those two teams are a lot more open to the media.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 PM
gomez1
Racer

Totally off subject BUT Just came back from there and got to take a ride on the track in a radical and let me say it was "radical!" The track surface was the best I've ever seen and the pits are like a 5 star hotel. Insane place!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
BTW ... I do not recall hearing anything about Alonso using Massa's front wing in the BBC's TV pre-race, race and post-race coverage. Martin Brundle must have heard this from some source after the fact and is bringing it up in his written commentary now. But this should not be too much of a surprise. Ferrari is pretty closed to the media and ultra secretive. McLaren and Red Bull also try to hide their most important secrets, but those two teams are a lot more open to the media.
http://www.formula1.com/news/technic...1/847/914.html

On Friday afternoon in Abu Dhabi, Ferrari added an additional carbon skin on the pivoting point of their new Red Bull-style front wing on Felipe Massa's car (red arrow). The solution, however, failed to stop the wing from fluttering dramatically at certain speeds so the team decided to revert back to the standard front wing for the Brazilian. Fernando Alonso kept the new solution, but with a stiffer construction.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gomez1
Totally off subject BUT Just came back from there and got to take a ride on the track in a radical and let me say it was "radical!" The track surface was the best I've ever seen and the pits are like a 5 star hotel. Insane place!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba9_9N6rbP0
GREAT for you. Wish it was me too !! I always like the UAE when I worked over there. Of course the choices were limited LOL!

Quick Reply: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix