Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep it coming!

Here's highlights from Saturday's rainy double regional:

http://youtu.be/TNM18tiuk0g
Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

That was a truly "Wet" track. Looked like everyone drove real smooth to offset the cold wet track conditions. Just to think that 1 hour North it was snowing as you guys were racing.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Keep it coming!

Here's highlights from Saturday's rainy double regional:

http://youtu.be/TNM18tiuk0g
Wow, scary stuff!

Congrats on your National Championship, Frank!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:07 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

After the race, a few of us observed that it was surprisingly incident free, not even a yellow, considering the conditions. But, when I post the Sunday race, under clear skies, you'll see that the Cup guys are quite aggressive, even exhuberant, IMHO.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the race, a few of us observed that it was surprisingly incident free, not even a yellow, considering the conditions. But, when I post the Sunday race, under clear skies, you'll see that the Cup guys are quite aggressive, even exhuberant, IMHO.
Is it because that was a NASA race? I don't recall racing the 944 Cup (Nationals included) with such, huh, mayhem at the start. I never drove with NASA, only with PCA, SCCA Pro, Nascar and Mt-Tremblant (private sanctionning body).

Friends are telling that NASA is more rock'n'roll than anything else... Was it the case? The videos from Mr. Torgesen are showing that...

c.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Technically, this was not a NASA event. We shared the track with them, but we had out own separate and distinct run group, not a split start. I am also told that we were not even running under NASA rules, we were our own entity at this event.
I think the added stake of running for the National added to the aggresion, but that's just my opinion. I did get rammed three times in the National, as you'll see.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
You were making ground on Tyler up until that point.
Eric there was a delay of 20+ minutes for the race and I decided to go back to our pit and tape up the front end. BIG mistake on my part as Tyler had qualified 3rd but had to start at the back. A car spun in front of him in turn 2 of the first lap that he couldn't avoid. This left him with both a rubbing left front tire and a gaping hole where the headlight cover once was. Once in 3rd the Crowell's were about 50 seconds ahead and consolidating a podium finish was the best we could do.

Congratulations to the Crowell's as they dominated both in the rain and the dry.

Bill
Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Bill, I was so disappointed when you guys didn't show up on grid, I couldn't figure it out, I saved your spot in front of me until the last second!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Technically, this was not a NASA event. We shared the track with them, but we had out own separate and distinct run group, not a split start. I am also told that we were not even running under NASA rules, we were our own entity at this event.
I think the added stake of running for the National added to the aggresion, but that's just my opinion. I did get rammed three times in the National, as you'll see.
Still, you were part of a NASA sanctionned event. When we ran SCCA Pro at VIR for the 2010 Nationals, we were a separate run group but had meetings with SCCA officials and they were applying their on track rules to us... The level of agression was there, albeit without any contact, as far as I remember.

Maybe the weather/slick track made things worst...

c.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:27 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Here's action from Sunday. Clear skies and a very green track.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by comatb
Eric there was a delay of 20+ minutes for the race and I decided to go back to our pit and tape up the front end. BIG mistake on my part as Tyler had qualified 3rd but had to start at the back. A car spun in front of him in turn 2 of the first lap that he couldn't avoid. This left him with both a rubbing left front tire and a gaping hole where the headlight cover once was. Once in 3rd the Crowell's were about 50 seconds ahead and consolidating a podium finish was the best we could do.

Congratulations to the Crowell's as they dominated both in the rain and the dry.

Bill
Wow, in that case, congradulations to Tyler on a hell of a drive in a wounded car!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:29 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

The Comats always put on a good show, and they were working really hard all weekend.
Always fun to hang around with them.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:53 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Frank, you're a very courteous racer.... and I mean that in a nice way. Were the 2 cars that got around you SP3 as well?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:16 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Wow, in that case, congradulations to Tyler on a hell of a drive in a wounded car!
Thanks Eric I miss our races together.

The Comats always put on a good show, and they were working really hard all weekend.
Always fun to hang around with them.
Frank is a gentleman even when he is drinking our Tequila/Rum and everything else.

Bill
Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Provost Motorsports
Advanced

Wow Frank ..3 times? I saw the one incedent in turn 5 or the result of it on my video

Quick Reply: 944 Cup National video