Sponsored by:

Tow with a Lexus GX460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:33 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tow with a Lexus GX460?

Has anyone on this forum had any experience towing with a Lexus GX460? I know from the plethora of towing threads on this forum that there are far better tow vehicles, but I'm sort of stuck with this vehicle - it's a present for my wife that I'll be "borrowing" from time to time to tow the 951 + trailer (4,500 pounds) to the track.

While the GX460 is supposed to have a 6,500 tow capacity, I wasn't sure if there are any other figures I should consider. I just wanted to see if I should invest in a trailer or keep having my shop take my car to the track. There's also not much chance in going for a different car because after test driving a whole bunch this past weekend, she's basically set on the GX ...
Old 10-31-2011, 12:23 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

You are in almost the exact same situation I'm in, except I'm towing an S2 and we're looking at the Touareg. What other rigs were on your list? Is the GX 460 the lexus version of the sequoia?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JustinL
You are in almost the exact same situation I'm in, except I'm towing an S2 and we're looking at the Touareg. What other rigs were on your list? Is the GX 460 the lexus version of the sequoia?
GX is the Lexus version of the 4Runner. One of our requirements is having a six/seven-seater, so that unfortunately took the Touareg/Cayenne out of the equation. And my wife's heart seems to be pretty much set on the GX.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:14 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,214 Likes on 430 Posts

Not a GX, but have towed quite a bit with the LX. It works well with an open lightweight trailer (Trailex). Gas mileage sux. Brakes are adequate. Not bad in cross winds. Never had the trailer get out of line.

Also currently using a Touareg. It is about the same experience, although the Lexus was nicer to drive all around and had more space for hauling gear inside.

I wouldn't use either to tow an enclosed trailer. I'd have more confidence in the LX with a heavier steel trailer even though the Touareg has a higher tow rating.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GX should tow your car+trailer easily.

I have a 6200 lbs rig (Enclosed Trailex, Boxster, tools, etc.), and it's an easy tow with my 2005 4Runner V8. (7000 lbs towing capacity.)
Old 10-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What about an Audi Q7? It seats 7

Tows the same 6,500lbs, but has big brakes, a more taut suspension, and tracks very nicely.

I've followed engine & trans temps with mine, and they are never over the low 190's, even towing at 75 into a stiff headwind with a 6,400lb enclosed trailer. OB II readout reading a steady 88% throttle

I have 20K towing miles without any issues. The stability control is awesome - handled emergency stops/maneuvers well while towing. Trans fluid looks great after a flush. It is one vehicle that appears very capable of its rated tow limit.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:03 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I highly recommend a weight distribution hitch to make towing easier. I have the Resse system and really like it.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 PM
2006S
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow my 997s on an open Trailex 7541 with tire rack and front shield using a 2010 MB ML350. The tow capacity is 7,200 lbs., it is rock steady, even in crosswinds and I average 14 mpg without a/c and 12 mpg with a/c blasting.

It's been driven from Bucks County, PA to Watkins Glen, Pocono, Summit Point and NJMP on numerous trips.

I have surge brakes on the Trailex and it has been a pleasure to drive with the ML.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

An open trailex will be your best friend with that GX 460. No need for weight distribution or sway control hitch
Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 915 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
An open trailex will be your best friend with that GX 460. No need for weight distribution or sway control hitch
I guess that depends on your definition of need. I have an F-350 for hauling around a ~7500 lbs setup. Way more truck than a GX 460 and I use weight distribution and sway control.

I think you would be foolish to not get a weight distribution hitch with sway control for a GX 460 towing 4500 lbs.

Scott
Old 10-31-2011, 11:48 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Trailex are not designed to accept a weight distribution or anti-sway hitch. They say they should not be used, at least on the 2 models that I had. It is because they have a single aluminum attachment rather than a tripod, like most trailers. It would not attach effectively.
I use both on my F250 D and enclosed Pace, and think it improves towing, but did not have or need them with either my open or enclosed Trailex, even with an Explorer, F150, or Tundra. Trailex just pulls better.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
What about an Audi Q7? It seats 7

Tows the same 6,500lbs, but has big brakes, a more taut suspension, and tracks very nicely.

I've followed engine & trans temps with mine, and they are never over the low 190's, even towing at 75 into a stiff headwind with a 6,400lb enclosed trailer. OB II readout reading a steady 88% throttle

I have 20K towing miles without any issues. The stability control is awesome - handled emergency stops/maneuvers well while towing. Trans fluid looks great after a flush. It is one vehicle that appears very capable of its rated tow limit.
I would totally go for the Q7, but wife is set on the GX, and it really is a present for her (and the first kid she's about to "push" out in December). Wife likes the Lexus interior, the perceived reliability and the ergonomics.

The trailering is just a bonus for me ...
Old 11-01-2011, 12:08 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
I would totally go for the Q7, but wife is set on the GX, and it really is a present for her (and the first kid she's about to "push" out in December). Wife likes the Lexus interior, the perceived reliability and the ergonomics.

The trailering is just a bonus for me ...
If it's wifey's DD then the Lexus would be the way to go, as the interior is nicer and Audi reliability is iffy at best. I wouldn't buy one without an extended warranty, but............ the Q7 has the TDI model which would make towing sooooo much easier..... just a thought.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:15 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I've towed my open Trailex and 2900lb 968 with my wifes GX470 and it was a breeze. Accelerating, handling and braking were fine. Gas mileage did stink but thats to be expected.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 97 Posts

People often don't look at the rating on their hitches. Especially SUV's... I think the factory/OEM hitch for the Lexus is a class III with a limit of 5,000 pounds with a load distributing hitch.

You can forget about towing an enclosed trailer. Don't do it no matter how many people tell you that they have done so without trouble. Its dangerous. Your car is too light - never mind the hitch itself.. A light aluminum open trailer is your best bet. If you get a heavier steel open trailer, get the load distributing hitch AND / OR replace the OEM hitch mount with a Class IV hitch. (No big deal to do)

Keep in mind that you can tow loads higher than rated capacity of the vehicle or the hitch.. People do it and swear that it is not a problem. But there are liability issues when you tow over rating. And Class III hitches used over rated loads can break given enough stress - think windy days.. Add the aero effect of a box trailer and you are asking a lot from a class III hitch.

Tearing the hitch off your vehicle while towing really sucks..

I can understand why Trailer recommends against a load distributing hitch. Nature of the beast.. The physics of how they work would put a strain on the aluminum frame of the tongue.

Your wife is a sport for letting you use her car to tow. Do her a favor and don't tear the hitch off her baby by overloading it.

Quick Reply: Tow with a Lexus GX460?