BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts
Default BGB DAYTONA TEST: TEAM SHIFTS CAYMAN FOCUS AND RETURNS TO 911 CHASSIS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BGB DAYTONA TEST: TEAM SHIFTS CAYMAN FOCUS AND RETURNS TO 911 CHASSIS

October 27, 2011 (Ormond Beach, FL) –– When the 2012 Grand-Am Continental Tire Challenge Series kicks off this January at Daytona International Speedway, Porsche fans will once again rally around the Stuttgart brand and support the local and defending 2008 race winners from BGB Motorsports, one of the only remaining Porsche teams left in the series. The familiar BGB numbers will be seen around the high banks of Daytona, but with a major revision to the team’s vehicle lineup. The team’s newer and deeper fan base will wonder where the Caymans have gone, while the rest will see the team fielding two Porsche 997s that will look and fit like a familiar pair of running shoes and run like a pair of finely sharpened track spikes.

“We have sold all of the Grand-Am Porsches and have realigned the Grand-Am program to accept the new customer 911, but while making difficult decision to retire the Cayman from Grand-Am. We are proud to have developed what became an appropriately priced, great little race car with a stock motor that finished in the top-10 almost every single time we raced it. The 997 looks to be a more supported and viable platform for the 2012 racing season however. From retail perspective, customer perspective and racing perspective , the Cayman program is not only still very much alive at BGB, but growing at a rapid rate from parts sales to buildouts. We are going to support both models in some way, shape or form.”

The Florida based team that successfully ran the Porsche 997 platform in Grand-Am championship contention during the 2007 and 2008 seasons, achieving wins, podiums and top-10s throughout, is looking forward to the combination of a new car and driver pair with the added mix of some old familiarity to the 911. Team Manager John Tecce had more to add:

“We are pleased to announce the addition of a season-long driver pairing out of Toronto from Tower Motorsports with a new car. John Farano and David Empringham will run the familiar BGB #83 on the side of their 2nd generation Porsche 997 Carrera S that they have brought to BGB. The name David Empringham in these circles of motorsport speaks for itself and the potential to win races. John is quickly getting acclimated to the car and we are excited to have this duo and their Porsche as new members to the BGB family. We are all very anxious to get on track.”

No stranger to the Grand-Am paddock, John Farano has run in the DP class, the GT class and even the GS class. While the Porsche may be a new animal to him, road racing is not and he is as excited for the start of this season as his codriver is; Empringham apparently has unfinished business in the Continental Tire Series despite being the crowned 2005 Driver’s Champion. The team tested the new 997 at Mid Ohio prior to the Grand-Am finale and just completed a 2 days test at Daytona this week. Testing will for the car and team will continue throughout November and December in anticipation of this year’s season that will no doubt feature the most competitive championship hunt to date. The team’s next official testing event will be with the Rolex Series at Daytona International Speedway on November 16-17, 2011. Stay tuned for more updates and as always, for more information, photos, and videos, please visit http://www.bgbmotorsports.com.

BGB Motorsports is an ambitious, professional motorsports business. The team's facility is located less than 15 miles from Daytona International Speedway and the headquarters for the Grand American Road Racing Association. The team operates as a customer oriented business, running cars under the Grand American Road Racing, Sports Car Club of America and Porsche Club of America sanctioning bodies.

Photo and video courtesy of Margaret Gerard.

P.S. For those that will ask, the revised 2012 spec for the 997 is a sealed 3.8 DFI X51 (GTS) engine that we have been given with a revised rev limit, revised competition weight, aluminum flywheel and spherical bushing adjustment. Ought to be interesting...very interesting!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

cant wait for the first race, good luck team BGB
Old 10-27-2011, 03:03 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Looking good, good luck!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:16 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Looks good. Let's take it to the Mustangs and Camaros this year!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Looks good. Let's take it to the Mustangs and Camaros this year!
That will be quite interesting. Grand-Am seems to be more favorable to the american cars... Although BMW had quite the upper hand in 2011, the Mustangs are comin'. And Stevenson Motorsport's Camaro will surely be well funded for the next season. So how Porsche will stand there?

True that in Rolex GT, its a Porsche that won the championship. Still the Porsche field is quite thin in either series.

Does PMNA is of any help in during the season?

Thanks

c.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Good luck next season!!! Glad you are back to driving a proper Porsche!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:26 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Best of luck John. Great decision to go to the 997.2 Valiant effort on the Cayman, but they just can not be made competitive against those V8's.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Proper Porsche Mr K964? Wiseguy......
Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Proper Porsche Mr K964? Wiseguy......
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When's approval come for the 991?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

991 probably won't be as fast on track as 997 until 2013 season. The same thing happened with the change from 996 to 997. Many teams opted to stay with the proven setup of the 996 before jumping up to the relatively unknown 997 the next season. 2005 and even 2006 there were several teams running 996.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by amso3
Best of luck John. Great decision to go to the 997.2 Valiant effort on the Cayman, but they just can not be made competitive against those V8's.
They could if GA would just approve the 3.8l engine for the 987 chassis. The stuff BGB has been doing recently with their Caymans is pretty damn impressive. Just not GA legal...
Old 10-28-2011, 12:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

John...great news!

As you know I have a GTS and just ran Daytona with it. I had a blast but as usual I had PSM/Traction Control and Drive Off Assistant failure lights. What would happen is that over 130mph on the NASCAR banks these failures would come on and throw the system out of Sport chrono Plus mode, put the car back into noram shock settings too. With PDK this meant a little slower shifting. I did learn that I can just start out in normal mode and have the shocks at the stiff setting and the light would come on but the shocks woul stay stiff.

Anyway, the stock exhaust PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) even with the center muffler/resonator replaced with the Sharkwerks center cross over pipes I could not hear the cars exhaust.

What are you using for this X51 (GTS) engine based car for exhaust?

FVD has a rear X pipe (merges right and left banks) with 2 small in line mufflers. This FVD system takes out the 2 side mufflers. I was thinking about something like this to reduce weight and have a free flowing exhaust plus FVD says I can do this with out having to use a aftermarket ECU program so that I retain warranty.

Thanks in advance for any advice....
Old 10-28-2011, 03:39 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

I think BGB does their exhaust work in house. I know there were some youtube videos on their channel with their Cayman exhaust.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I think BGB does their exhaust work in house. I know there were some youtube videos on their channel with their Cayman exhaust.
Thanks and I've seen some Fabspeed exhaust on their cars too. I'm not far from John (2.5hrs) so I might need to call him.

Being a GTS owner this BGB race car excites me... I've always pulled for BGB... I wonder if this is a PDK car?... Hummmm

Quick Reply: BGB DAYTONA TEST: TEAM SHIFTS CAYMAN FOCUS AND RETURNS TO 911 CHASSIS