Sponsored by:

Traqmate Support or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Traqmate Support or lack thereof

Bought a traqmate HD video upgrade December 2010 because it automatically starts and synchs the video with the traqmate data. This past weekend at the track, no video. After troubleshooting with a friend, it turns out it was the 6" proprietary lanC adapter cable that plugs in to the sony camera that was bad. I had only used it 6 times before. My friend knew what it was because the same thing happened to him. Called traqmate for support, they told me that cable never goes bad, but since it was past 90 day warranty, I could buy a new one for $39. I told him that it was funny that it never goes bad, because the same thing happened to the guy that helped me figure out what was wrong, and maybe there was some problem with the cable. He basically told me it was my fault for removing it wrong, that it was a wear item, and there was nothing he could do. Told me to buy a new one. Wasn't too pleasant about it either.
I know 90 days was up, but does 6 track days seem like a wear item for a camera cable? Anyone else had this problem? Anyone aware of a way to fix this problem? How about at least selling me a replacement for cost as a gesture of good customer service?

Buyer beware.

P.S. I found the same cable online for $21, delivered, next day shipping included, at B&H Camera. And I was just thinking about doing the new traqmate display upgrade. Not anymore.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a big fan either. Removed my system after half a season and sold it all. Motec FTW
Old 10-25-2011, 10:51 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts

I've used Traqmate for years. Easy to use and great data analysis. If you have the older one (as I do), they have the 5 pin DIN connectors - which were intended for computers and not field use. Check that you don't have a bent pin. The DIN plugs are easy to bend. Thats why they upgraded the connectors a year or two ago (which I haven't done)
Old 10-25-2011, 10:54 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear traqmate has been like that, I had an issue where my wife bought me my traqmate for christmas and got it with the hardwire kit. They sent me a cigarette adaptor free, and this was several months after the purchase though I had not used the unit yet.

This was some years ago though, I hope this is an anomaly, they are pretty good guys when you see them (which I do quite a bit as they are based in Atlanta).
Old 10-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by eric523
I'm not a big fan either. Removed my system after half a season and sold it all. Motec FTW
LOL! MoTeC and TraqMate are not really competitors...or even comparable.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:10 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Really? All this over a $39 cable?

I've had Traqmate for several years now. Had no problems with the product, and when I asked them for help on a customization project that I tried (and failed at), they were very helpful.

Most of the specialized stuff like Traqmate that we use in our hobby comes from essentially a cottage industry. They do their best to support us, and I doubt very much that anyone is getting fabulously wealthy off of these products. It just doesn't seem reasonable to be badmouthing a company like this on the interweb over something that's relatively trivial imho.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Anyone else had this problem? Anyone aware of a way to fix this problem?
I'm surprised to hear that. I've sold over a dozen Traqmate HD upgrades with the Sony cam with no trouble (even though I'm not a great fan of the setup, I like the ChaseCam or the upcoming solution much better).

I have had one end of the LAN-C plug (male) pull partially out of the extension (female) on one car, causing the system not to turn on or off. When it was fully reseated, it worked fine.

Surprised to hear about your CS issue, too. They've been better than a lot of folks. Sorry you had trouble, you would have enjoyed the TraqDash.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-26-2011, 02:15 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

I've had Traqmate since 2006, and it has worked very well. I sent it back for an upgrade a few years ago, and had no problem.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a LAN-C cable go bad in the past too (for a ChaseCam). It happens, especially in high vibration environments like our cars. I used a Traqmate for a year and loved it and found it to be a big help. While I also switched to MoTeC (and yes, that's apples and steak dinners in comparison), I would heartily recommend a Traqmate to new users.

I'm mildly surprised that the OP expected a free replacement as it worked when it was delivered but failed after used (albeit only a few). It seems that the worst offense was a rude person on the phone. We all have bad days and I wouldn't completely condemn a company for one bad experience. It sounds like most of us have had good experience and this might be an isolated incident.

Quick Reply: Traqmate Support or lack thereof