Cross Drilled vs Solid Vented Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Gyrodisks are a nice improvement over the stockers for track use

These have 10track days on them and are in great condition, the factory ones would be 50% cracked out at this point

Brembo also has a very nice 355/355 or 380/355 kit w/ slotted f/r rotors, both ends are 2 piece and the p/b is retained
Thanks for sharing Bill. Was wondering how folks are making out with the GD slotted TT rotors. I am replacing my cracked 993 rotors with a spare OE set I have laying around, will see how long they last and then make a decision on an alternative for the next time around.

Any downsides in your experience so far (besides price!)?

Best,

Matt
Old 10-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 136 Posts

Like others have said, get more air to the rotors and calipers. The PF83 are not the most rotor friendly pad. I could see sparks coming off a Grand Stock car that was running them at a circle track event two weeks ago. If you like PFC pads, try the PF06 compound. Much easier on the rotors and they still will slow the car very well.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 AM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like these slotted PFC rotors so far, though only used for 1 weekend.

My OEM rotors cracked like everyone else's.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 AM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Like others have said, get more air to the rotors and calipers. The PF83 are not the most rotor friendly pad. I could see sparks coming off a Grand Stock car that was running them at a circle track event two weeks ago. If you like PFC pads, try the PF06 compound. Much easier on the rotors and they still will slow the car very well.
What's the difference between the PF06 and PF08 pads?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Thanks for sharing Bill. Was wondering how folks are making out with the GD slotted TT rotors. I am replacing my cracked 993 rotors with a spare OE set I have laying around, will see how long they last and then make a decision on an alternative for the next time around.

Best,

Matt
I have been running these all this year and have been very happy, they are outlasting the stock 993TT rotors on a number of areas

1: The cracking is noticibly less (slotted still crack)
2: No grooving.

In the past I have been getting a season out of the OE 993TT rotors, and because of the grooving, have had to replace the pads as well. This season with the Giro's it looks like I just need to replace the pads, the rotors are measuring just slightly worn and the cracks are not an issue. Initial price is higher and the replacement rings are ~$350 each but if I can get 2 seasons out of rotors I am ahead of the game...
Old 10-26-2011, 01:21 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

Best,

Matt
I have the gyrodisc 993 rotors as well. 19 track days (which included 11 races) and they are barely worn.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
I have been running these all this year and have been very happy, they are outlasting the stock 993TT rotors on a number of areas

1: The cracking is noticibly less (slotted still crack)
2: No grooving.

In the past I have been getting a season out of the OE 993TT rotors, and because of the grooving, have had to replace the pads as well. This season with the Giro's it looks like I just need to replace the pads, the rotors are measuring just slightly worn and the cracks are not an issue. Initial price is higher and the replacement rings are ~$350 each but if I can get 2 seasons out of rotors I am ahead of the game...
Originally Posted by ninjabones
I have the gyrodisc 993 rotors as well. 19 track days (which included 11 races) and they are barely worn.
Thanks guys for sharing - I certainly expected better wear, and it sounds like they deliver.

Cheers!

Matt

Quick Reply: Cross Drilled vs Solid Vented Rotors