Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you have/use a data system?
No data and don't want it
2.04%
No data but want it
15.31%
Have a system but don't use it
1.02%
Have a system and only get laptimes
6.12%
Have a system, get data, and spend time analyzing
75.51%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you use data analysis?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Poll: Do you use data analysis?

I'm curious how many people have data and use it for more than lap times? What do people have and how do you use it? Do you like it? The poll is anonymous, so don't worry about people finding out your secret.

I have an Aim SOLO and have found that I've been heavily analyzing the data. I know the unit has limitations, but I've already found areas for improvement. I'm very happy with the unit and the Race Studio 2 software.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I use traqmate and use it to compare cornering speeds, brake points, brake pressure and brake release. I also use it to compare laps to find out where I've lost or gained time.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use a Traqmate as well, segment analysis is where I spend most of my time, I also have the data from a bunch of friends and use that as a comparison point. It's good to see where cars are faster. slower, how early they are able to get on the gas etc...
Old 10-24-2011, 05:17 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,

How did you learn to interpret your data? I’ve been thinking about buying a system for exactly the reasons you’ve stated.

Michael
Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by morsini
Matt,

How did you learn to interpret your data? I’ve been thinking about buying a system for exactly the reasons you’ve stated.

Michael
I've read a bunch of books and talked/emailed with a couple of pros. That along with looking at a lot of data and I think I'm getting a pretty good handle on it.

If you watch the NCR tech sessions, we're going to have some really good driving sessions this winter. You won't want to miss them.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:42 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Analysis of data is invaluable in progressing one's skill level. I had my pro co-driver review my data with his overlays (from Grand Am ST class) and over a short period of time (maybe three races) I was within 1-1.5% of his lap times. I could never make the improvements in my driving skills without the data overlays.

I believe you need some way to overlay someone who is faster to determine where you can improve. If one is serious about improving, finding a "pro" to do laps as a reference point and than assist in review the data is the best way to quickly improve as a driver.

I am not sure how I would improve much if I was just overlaying my data on my data. Sure maybe I would see where I might brake earlier or little things like that, but with a pro overlay the advancement in skill can be done very quickly and in larger leaps.

Mark

Last edited by mcongleton; 10-24-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use traqmate and love the analysis capabilities. Linked to a camera it becomes really usefull to look at the data and see what the car was in the video.

I also use the segment analysis together with the "best lap" feature to look at consistency. Humbling to see what I **could** have done compared to what I **do** do
Old 10-24-2011, 06:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

don't have the money... These days I am just happy to show up at the track with working car on good tires. Might have gotten one this year as I have lots of good tires, but since the motor went last race(rod failed and trashed the entire motor) I kind of need to get that working before I can worry about how fast it goes. So maybe in another 8-12 months time?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I started with a Traqmate as a test to see if I would actually make use of the data and if it helped. I found I did use it, I found it to be a great help and so when I had my car built, I added MoTeC. I started with an SDL (dash and logger combined) and used it for a couple years to great benefit. Last year I went to an ADL3 dash/logger because it has a lot more capabilities.

I learned to interpret the data by reading books, getting a few lessons from a logging expert and by having a better driver drive my car and comparing the data. Like anything else, you need to do it to get good at it and the more often you do it, the easier it becomes, and the better you become (at least at the analysis).

When I first started looking at the data my lap times were 2:00 at Thunderhill and 1:54 at Sears Point. Typical times now are 1:55 and 1:46. I've been doing data analysis for about 5 years.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JerryW
I use traqmate and love the analysis capabilities. Linked to a camera it becomes really usefull to look at the data and see what the car was in the video.

I also use the segment analysis together with the "best lap" feature to look at consistency. Humbling to see what I **could** have done compared to what I **do** do
I agree on that one. Do you look at best rolling lap or theoretical?

Originally Posted by M758
don't have the money... These days I am just happy to show up at the track with working car on good tires. Might have gotten one this year as I have lots of good tires, but since the motor went last race(rod failed and trashed the entire motor) I kind of need to get that working before I can worry about how fast it goes. So maybe in another 8-12 months time?
I used to say the same thing. After getting a SOLO unit late this year, I'm kicking myself for not doing something earlier. I've learned more from using a data system at one event than I did the last few years combined!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,834 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Data (with accompanying video) is the cornerstone of my entire business. Having sold Traqmate since 2005 and being the newest AiM dealer, I'm truly "non-denominational!"

Mark, while I agree having your co-driver's data helped boot-strap your performance, I do not believe most drivers need comparative data from anyone other than themselves to find time and, most importantly, find the consistency they need to function in the highest percentile.

It's gotten so bad, I can "see" what my traces will look like as I drive! Sheesh!

The real value of the $399 AiM Solo is the Race Studio 2 analysis software. For less than $400, this is incredible! That said , Traqmate allows me to cut to the chase quicker than anything else.

For training, Chris Browns book is great, Bob Knox has very good book out. John Block of Auto-Ware has a good online class that he runs frequently, Claude Rouelle and Jorge Segers have seminars coming up in conjunction with PRI in Orlando and I do one-on-one and small group training for most all systems (my focus is solely from the driver's perspective).

Matt, the Traqmate doesn't do rolling laps. Just TBL.

It's never been easier to buy and use this technology!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-24-2011, 06:51 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can get your hands on it. "Data Power" by Buddy Fey is a good reference. Read it twice and use it as a reference when reviewing results.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:56 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt - as Lolaman says Traqmate only does TBL, but if you run a comparison of TBL to each lap as if TBL was your competitor it really shows where you are slacking off. Then running your TBL against your faster competitor, followed by lap by lap analysis.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:21 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Peter

I agree that is is possible to make gains overlaying your own with data. I do know overlay with a faster driver will quicken the process, which in the long run would save drivers $$ on consumables and track time.

I would advise if new data users are wanting to get the most out of data quickly, an instructor such as yourself can be some of the best money spent on bettering one's driving skills.

I am sold on data !

Mark
Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I use data, ....... and BobT

I have a Traqmate system. I share data with a few guys that I know can drive. Echoing the post above a bit, BobT has taught me a lot about how to interpret and use same (although the system he uses has more detail). I also bought Chris Brown's book "Making Sense of Squiggly Lines" and have read the same two times to date (and another this winter I am sure, lol).

I use the data to compare generally session to session; and to compare lines/inputs for segments (there is a real art to setting up a proper segment for a particular track - got some really good tips from David Murry in that regard, a reason alone to do one of his TrackDays events, IMHO); and, from there, best theoretical to see where one can safely push a little (if the segments are good).

While not ideal, I use it most in the winter as thats when I have the time to really sift thru all the data (as long as you have the associated vid it brings you back for the most part)...

Quick Reply: Poll: Do you use data analysis?