Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you have/use a data system?
No data and don't want it
2.04%
No data but want it
15.31%
Have a system but don't use it
1.02%
Have a system and only get laptimes
6.12%
Have a system, get data, and spend time analyzing
75.51%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you use data analysis?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:10 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Is the Traqmate HD setup capable of syncing two cams?

I think I'm sold on TM as a first tool, but would like very much to run two cams; one track oriented and another down into driver controls.

Or, better ideas?
No, not at this time. I have people using ChaseCam synched with Traqmate using the multi-camera processor that goes with it, the SS-1000. Randy has discontinued that accessory. Trying to find out if the DIVA will work. So far, no dice.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-25-2011, 11:21 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BWise
Now it's just too bad there are six months to wait before I can put it to use.
Know why racing is like sex?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Now it's just too bad there are six months to wait before I can put it to use.
If you have the data, the wintertime is the best time to slice and dice it!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a combination of data, video, others data and youtube/vimeo to get what I need. I started using data as a means to get the best lap that I could drive, so if I drove on Saturday, I tried to put a lap together on Sunday that was consistent across all the sectors I chose. I decided that 2-3/10ths off the TBL was satisfactory for me. Eventually I got hold of some people with faster laps, or similar laps, people with faster laps (and even sometimes slightly slower ones). Find a corner or two where you are slow can be a huge help.

However, looking at it on just the data sometimes doesn't tell you why you are slow, videos help a lot with that. I use every video I can find on youtube for attainably faster or similar speed cars along with syncing my own video so I can remember what happened during a certain session.

Traqmate is awesome and user friendly, I study data between sessions many times it's so easy. I want the Traqdash, but I don't think it's worth $899 unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The older I get the faster I was." Data leads to depression
Old 10-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you have a reference lap for overlay, spend some time looking at just your laps and see if you can find improvements. Reference laps from another (faster) driver are not always available (especially as you approach semi-pro or pro level).
Old 10-25-2011, 03:09 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
If you have the data, the wintertime is the best time to slice and dice it!
Oh, I've already started tearing into the data, but I've got six months to wait before I can try and put some of the improvements into an on track lap. I wanna go try now

Know why racing is like sex?
Well, if its anything like this past season, then maybe; promiscuity is fun.

Which is even better if you put it into the context of the cars I had driven. The Vee is the slump buster. You tell your friends you got laid but you won't go into any details as to who and when. The First is the girl next girl. You introduce her to your friends and she's fun to mess around with, but you don't plan on sticking around. The DSR is the kinky red head. You want to tell everyone when, where, how and every other fascinating detail of the encounter. The FC is the one you take home to show mom. And the F1000 is the lingerie model that blew your mind. You want to tell everyone when, where, how and every other fascinating detail including the random people you run into on the street.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, if its anything like this past season, then maybe; promiscuity is fun.

Which is even better if you put it into the context of the cars I had driven. The Vee is the slump buster. You tell your friends you got laid but you won't go into any details as to who and when. The First is the girl next girl. You introduce her to your friends and she's fun to mess around with, but you don't plan on sticking around. The DSR is the kinky red head. You want to tell everyone when, where, how and every other fascinating detail of the encounter. The FC is the one you take home to show mom. And the F1000 is the lingerie model that blew your mind. You want to tell everyone when, where, how and every other fascinating detail including the random people you run into on the street.
Very good, and quotable!

I've always been fond of redheads... even better, I can get my hands on 3 DSRs at once, now, and my wife will tolerate it.

No, Bill, I think the real takeaway from this season, for you, is that it's always more fun playing with someone else's toy...

Last edited by 924RACR; 10-25-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:03 PM
kfyork
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lolaman
... while I agree having your co-driver's data helped boot-strap your performance, I do not believe most drivers need comparative data from anyone other than themselves to find time and, most importantly, find the consistency they need to function in the highest percentile.
+1
Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are at all interested in lower lap times, data acquisition is a must. Lots of different things that you can allot channels for, and it's an extremely useful tool for optimizing your results.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcongleton
Analysis of data is invaluable in progressing one's skill level. I had my pro co-driver review my data with his overlays (from Grand Am ST class) and over a short period of time (maybe three races) I was within 1-1.5% of his lap times. I could never make the improvements in my driving skills without the data overlays.

I believe you need some way to overlay someone who is faster to determine where you can improve. If one is serious about improving, finding a "pro" to do laps as a reference point and than assist in review the data is the best way to quickly improve as a driver.

I am not sure how I would improve much if I was just overlaying my data on my data. Sure maybe I would see where I might brake earlier or little things like that, but with a pro overlay the advancement in skill can be done very quickly and in larger leaps.

Mark
+1.... Comparing your lap times to a competent pro is eye opening. You can break down segments of turns, compare braking zones, getting back on throttle, etc. Very valuable....
Old 10-25-2011, 10:56 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I've had a traqmate for years and use it heavily to evaluate my track performance. When I come home from an event, I pull out the traqmate data long before I get around to looking at Video.

Heavy use of segment analysis (and making segments in the right places) gives a great deal of visibility into my driving.

I got a Race-Keeper recently and to be honestly, miss using the Traqmate.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:03 PM
brave1heart
Advanced

Here's an in-depth article on lapping apps for Android: http://www.onehotlap.com/2011/10/rou...martphone.html

I love Trackmaster on my Droid X.

Quick Reply: Poll: Do you use data analysis?