Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stitch on arm restraints to suit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Stitch on arm restraints to suit?

I admit that I do not usually wear arm restraints except for those rare days that I take the fiberglass top of the Boxster. Considering that the fiberglass top offers no real protection I've decided that I should wear my arm restraints on a regular basis. I realize many of you would not get in any 6 point car without arm restraints!

I have tried many times wearing my arm restraints on my biceps and my forearm. Either way I feel like they are too loose to the point they are distracting or too tight and interfere with my movement. Note that I mean the tightness on my arm and not the slack between my arm and the harness buckle.

So,.....I was thinking about simply putting a few stitches to fasten the arm restraint to my suit (likely on the forearm). While these would not offer any structural function, they would keep the arm restraint where I want it on my arm. I could probably even use safety pins. The restraints would still be fastened to the harness buckle and egress would not be affected in any way I can think of.

Does anyone do something like this?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd be interested in doing that as well. I've had to shake one off during a race because it kept sliding down to my wrist. I don't mind wearing them but they do slide forward about 10 minutes into a race and then I'm trying the wriggle them back up to my forearm on the straight away.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,675 Posts

First, the proper place to wear them is below the elbow. Second, I have seen loops sewn by suit manufacturers to the forearm areas. Sounds like a plan!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Check with http://www.vasracingsuits.com/. They are just in NY but they custom make suits and I'm pretty sure they could handle the "alteration."
Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Check with http://www.vasracingsuits.com/. They are just in NY but they custom make suits and I'm pretty sure they could handle the "alteration."
Sweet! Thanks!

http://www.vasracingsuits.com/produc...%7DStraps.html
Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ha. Peter says never above the elbow and I say never below the elbow. This is a oil weight debate ready to go.

Lots of mfrs sew them into sleeves. They are generally the ones that market to circle track/sprint car folks who need them. I've only seen a few people outside of sprint cars actually do it but if I had an opportunity I would. The Simpson ones I have seen are also above the elbow, but the Bell ones I saw were below, or maybe that was the other way around......
Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
ha. Peter says never above the elbow and I say never below the elbow. This is a oil weight debate ready to go.

Lots of mfrs sew them into sleeves. They are generally the ones that market to circle track/sprint car folks who need them. I've only seen a few people outside of sprint cars actually do it but if I had an opportunity I would. The Simpson ones I have seen are also above the elbow, but the Bell ones I saw were below, or maybe that was the other way around......
I wear them all the time since I run the Boxster topless. I've been thinking of sowing mine to my suit as well since they tend to get loose and I end up pushing them up above my elbows so they stay. Of course I always think it's ironic that they force you to wear them in a DE even though if they were worn properly (below the elbow), I wouldn't be able to get my hand out over the roll cage to signal a pass on the right

Even if you sow them in, you would still want them nice and snug on the arm or it's not going to do much good.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:52 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not sew velcro strips to the sleeve and straps? Enough grip to hold in place nothing to deal with when not in use.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 AM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't smart enough to order a suit with arm restraints. Mine are "tacked" in place on my forearm with a couple stitches. When not in use, I just remove the strap that runs from the restraint to the six point harness. Works well.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Wow, I'm glad I asked the question! It's nice to know others have similar problems.
I think I'll start with safety pins to find the ideal spot on my arms and then either put a few stitches in or use Kurt's Velcro idea.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Coochas
I think I'll start with safety pins to find the ideal spot on my arms and then either put a few stitches in or use Kurt's Velcro idea.

As long as the safety pins don't ride with you on track... The EMS people would have a fit!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 AM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been driving open top 914's for 20 years. have always worn them around my wrist.
The object is to keep your arms/hands within the confines of the car, right?
Wearing them around the bicep or upper forearm seems to defeat this purpose.
I think if your look at F1 and Indy car drivers they are mostly worn at the wrist.
The only restriction I've ever had is with giving point by's at DE's, in which case I just do the best I can.
I've even started weraing them in my closed top cars. Ask Geoff Bodine what would have happened to him if he had not been wearing arm restraints in his Craftsman Truck that barrel rolled and crashed at Daytona years ago. He survived with barely a bump or bruise.
Tom B.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Proper adjustment for any arm restraint is that the tips of your fingers don't go above the top of your helmet.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For 'around the wrist' and why I don't do that, I have seen one that was around the wrist get run up past the elbow in a rollover and the hands were dangling out of the car. I have also experienced a tether wrapped around the shifter one time I tried it on the forearm.

It's a personal preference thing but I've never seen or had a problem with ones just above the elbow.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A wise man once said to me, "If the arm restraints are tight enough to protect you, then you probably won't be able to drive the car." He was exaggerating, but he had a point. I at least need to be able to grab my mirrors and the gear shift. That's unfortunately a decent amount of slack. That said, in a violent roll, centripetal force can be high and arm restraints will keep your arms in closer proximity to your body.

The elbow tether can be just as safe as wrists if the tether is made shorter. The gearshift tether is a neat idea, but if it's not attached to the six-point, you need another way to release it right?

I actually slide my arm restraints over my wrists when I get in the car, but I may change tactics based on this thread. Just a small variation in my patented 75 step strap in process!

Quick Reply: Stitch on arm restraints to suit?