Sponsored by:

History of Rennsport: Hurley Haywood

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default History of Rennsport: Hurley Haywood

A little video a friend of mine put together.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:49 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool video. Hurley Haywood is a legend for those of us who consume the German Kool Aid. I was just having a debate the other day with some Porsche haters (obviously not on this site) concerning the rich racing heritage Porsche has had over the years and how this racing heritage translated into technology found in their modern day production road cars. Obviously there are other good car manufacturers out there, Porsche is not the only one with a rich racing heritage. But Porsche (especially with the 911) has given us something truly special.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for posting.

I had forgotten about the role Bob Carlson played in the RR concept.

I only met him once. He was really a nice guy in my experience.

It was at a CART event, in I think it was September '95 or '96, on a Friday. The Porsche Motorsports transporter pulled up in the paddock and Alwin Springer and Allan McNish showed up. They unloaded the GT1 from the truck. Carlson was there a bit later and I introduced myself. I told him that local Porsche enthusiasts would have appreciated knowing that the car would be there. It was there for demo purposes and to promote the October IMSA race where it would see US action for the first time.

I told Bob that a bunch of us had a track event on the October IMSA weekend, so wouldn't be able to come see the GT1 then. He then volunteered to give me and some friends a special private tour of the car, led by Springer and McNish on Saturday morning. So I called a bunch of Porsche friends. On Saturday, about 10 of us were given the tour, along with some journalists.

And Gil DeFerran, Mario, Tommy Kendall and a host of other pro drivers came by. We were all inside the ropes, throngs of others were outside taking pictures. McNish was especially nice to the ladies in our group, all experienced drivers and instructors. I still have a bunch of pictures.

That weekend I also got to meet Walter Payton and Dale Coyne because a fellow Dartmouth alumn was running in CART in one of their cars, and once I introduced myself he invited me into their hospitality area to check out the Lola in great detail.

Sadly Bob Carlson and Walter Payton are no longer with us.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 81 Posts

I found this other video that maybe of interest:

http://youtu.be/6C02jDvfBHU

It is from the Porsche 50th at Laguna in '98. This 917/30 was maintained and prepped by some of my friends for the owner, David Morse. The driver that weekend was the late Olaf Lang. It was a great weekend.

Later the car was sold to Matt Drendel.

Unfortunately, Lang, Morse and Drendel have all moved on. But I am sure that their spirits will hover over Laguna next weekend, with Stommelen, Al Holbert, and Bob Akin. Bob was the guest speaker at my first ever PCA monthly meeting in NJ in 1987.

Life is short, and it is not a dry run. RR is as much about the people as it is about the cars.

Quick Reply: History of Rennsport: Hurley Haywood