Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
And by the way, I think most sanctioning bodies focus on the Snell Foundation certifications for helmets, not the SFI specs. So a different organization is involved.

And I could be wrong, but I think Snell just issues the specs, and they recommend the 5 year interval.

It is up to the sanctioning bodies as to what is actually required.
Agreed, but it is becoming somewhat circular logic due to lawyers and business concerns.
Think about it....why would your H&N need to be recertified every 5 years and not the helmet to which it is attached? (except in the case of the Leatt Moto-R)

Sanctioning bodies usually follow recommendations of lawyers and manufacturers, except perhaps in the case of the FIA who can pretty much set worldwide standards on their own.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Makes no sense, especially since the (HANS) tethers are currently replaceable/upgradable by the owner; therefore, what is there to certify?
If they require theaters to be updated every two or three years then they should date stamp them. otherwise you can BS your way through it. I have not heard yet for sure but I think SCCA is going to adopt the rule such that you do not need to recert.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

From the 2011 BMWCCA rules:

"HANS tethers shall be replaced every three years or after any
incident where the tethers have been elongated. HANS tethers are
the only part of the HANS that expire. HANS tethers since 2006
have a sewn-on HANS tag on the tether with a year embroidered
under the HANS logo. A tether with 2007, for example, is good for
2007, 2008, and 2009. A 2009 tether is good until December 31,
2011. The date on the SFI sticker has no bearing on the
certification of the HANS or the tethers.""

From the 2011 SCCA GCR:

"As of 1/1/12, head and neck restraints meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 will be required."

We will see if either of these sanctioning bodies adopt the SFI's new requirement. The SFI website says that they will:

"Sanctioning Bodies requiring 38.1 devices will begin enforcing the five (5) year recertification rule as of January 1, 2012."

And picture from HANS web site:

Last edited by Mahler9th; 11-21-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 920 Likes on 561 Posts

I'd be willing to bet one of the people helping to write the BMWCCA rules is also a seller of the HANS - including new tethers for people.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I'd be willing to bet one of the people helping to write the BMWCCA rules is also a seller of the HANS - including new tethers for people.
I ain't takin' that bet....
Old 10-05-2011, 07:58 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does everyone have to be so cynical? Nylon ages!!!

Nobody bitches because tires age.

Why would you want to be in an accident with a 5 year old HANS tether any more than you would want to be racing on 5 year old Hoosiers?

I bet those sons'o'bitches at Hoosier are just tryin' to get us to buy more tires!

And we're bitching about $15. FIFTEEN ****IN' DOLLARS when half the people on this site have $100K in their equipment!!!

Oh yeah, I'm sure the business model is all about selling $700 devices with a $15 recert every five years. That's a GREAT recurring revenue model. Razors and Razor-blades right there, boy!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Dont trust H&D any further than I can throw the company...
Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by teamking
Why does everyone have to be so cynical? Nylon ages!!!

Nobody bitches because tires age.

Why would you want to be in an accident with a 5 year old HANS tether any more than you would want to be racing on 5 year old Hoosiers?

I bet those sons'o'bitches at Hoosier are just tryin' to get us to buy more tires!

And we're bitching about $15. FIFTEEN ****IN' DOLLARS when half the people on this site have $100K in their equipment!!!

Oh yeah, I'm sure the business model is all about selling $700 devices with a $15 recert every five years. That's a GREAT recurring revenue model. Razors and Razor-blades right there, boy!
Ever been in a factory that lifts stuff? How often does OSHA require nylon lifting slings to be recertified?

And nylon doesn't age. It absorbs water, but that happens pretty quick (and depends on the type of nylon). After that it's UV that causes a problem. So when you're tethers start to turn gray, they are probably toast.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Again, unless the sanctioning bodies change and require the 5 year program for FIA-certified devices, many HANS owners (perhaps most) won't have to do anything. So there is no reason to suspect Hubbard Downing of anything in this area , as they will see no new revenue from re-certs and new tethers in this scenario.

On the other hand, as has been pointed out, customers may favor FIA-rated head and neck restraints going forward, and this may benefit Hubbard Downing.

We will see.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever been in a factory that lifts stuff? How often does OSHA require nylon lifting slings to be recertified?

And nylon doesn't age. It absorbs water, but that happens pretty quick (and depends on the type of nylon). After that it's UV that causes a problem. So when you're tethers start to turn gray, they are probably toast.
Interesting.

I've hung off the side of enough cliffs, suspended by nylon webbing and ropes, to have paid a little attention to the manufacturers recommendations to replace the products after 5 or so years regardless of any other factors.

But doing a little research, it is interesting to see that age, per se, does not seem to be a factor in nylon degradation. It's the things associated with age (UV, wear, chemical exposure, etc), that cause problems.

BTW, I have no idea how often OSHA requires recertification of nylon slings, although I've been in plenty of factories where stuff gets lifted. In any case, I'm not sure I'd want OSHA regulating my safety gear for me.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by teamking
Interesting.

I've hung off the side of enough cliffs, suspended by nylon webbing and ropes, to have paid a little attention to the manufacturers recommendations to replace the products after 5 or so years regardless of any other factors.

But doing a little research, it is interesting to see that age, per se, does not seem to be a factor in nylon degradation. It's the things associated with age (UV, wear, chemical exposure, etc), that cause problems.

BTW, I have no idea how often OSHA requires recertification of nylon slings, although I've been in plenty of factories where stuff gets lifted. In any case, I'm not sure I'd want OSHA regulating my safety gear for me.
I don't want OSHA doing anything for me, but time is not a valid measurement to determine if a nylon webbing is fit for use. Nylon doesn't start to break down for thousands of years, so if you store it properly it will last a loooooonnnnnngggggggg time provided it's not worn out from use (i.e. chaffing, rubbing, uv, etc).
Old 10-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

I don't want OSHA doing anything for me, but time is not a valid measurement to determine if a nylon webbing is fit for use. Nylon doesn't start to break down for thousands of years, so if you store it properly it will last a loooooonnnnnngggggggg time provided it's not worn out from use (i.e. chaffing, rubbing, uv, etc).
Which brings us back to the BMW club's ridiculous mandate, likely written in part by a vendor of tethers as you suggest, to replace nylon tethers every 2 years.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:59 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
15 to recertify. 70 bucks to get webbing that's 'certifiable'
So if you can't sell enough new devices then make up something with your manufacturer's association to get more$$$$ on recerts. I love it!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:31 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
So if you can't sell enough new devices then make up something with your manufacturer's association to get more$$$$ on recerts. I love it!
To use a Microsoft term, H&D has just discovered the HANS "service pack"
Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After that it's UV that causes a problem. So when you're tethers start to turn gray, they are probably toast.
Show of hands.. How many leave their HANS out in the sun all the time?

How many keep it tucked away in a dark closet and it only sees sun when being worn?

Quick Reply: SFI requires HANS re-cert every 5 years